What's new

10-day Carts Experiment And My Conclusion

I started a 10 day experiment with carts for three reasons:
- I'm more and more pressed for time in the mornings
- Trying to 'unhobby' shaving, but still keep it as a pleasant daily routine
- An effortless bbs every day without irritation, which the 34c doesn't give me

In the past days I tried the Gillette Fusion Proglide and Hydro 5 Connect.
- the Proglide two pass shave is thorough. I mean, really thorough. After 12 hours I barely felt any stubble. The shave is quite uncomfortable though. Lots of pulling and tugging, but no irritation
- Hydro 5 was super comfortable, but any other DE gave me a way better shave always
As for time, considering I had to spread the gel across my face by hand, and apply it thin enough the cart could get to the skin, if I include a good prep for DE shaving, I think it boils down to a 5-minute difference in a sense that I need 15-20 minutes for DE shaving, and 10-15 for cart shaving.

I forgort how comfortable a DE shave really is. No pulling, no tugging.

The main turn off was the cart replacement price. The shave was great, but I wondered how long could it keep it up, as the lube strips were quite damaged after only a couple of shaves.

For now, I'll try and stick with DE shaving, I think it's healthier in a sense that it cuts as close as still healthy (not below skin level), the soap is better for post shave (the goo made my face feel like i sandpapered it + i got some on my lip and it burned like heck). If I stick to my 34c and buy only blades and AS's, I'll get marvellously considering the finances and hopefully, continue to enjoy the process.

Regards, brethren.

For now, I'll try and stick with DE shaving, I think it's healthier in a sense that it cuts as close as still healthy (not below skin level), the soap is better for post shave (t

What does "DE shaving" have to do with using a brush and soap?
I have been doing a four pass,five minute ,BBS shave daily since 1980 using canned foam and a DE so if you are pressed for time you might want to give it a try.
The notion that DE shaving=brush/soap shaving is simply wrong.
Most men shaved with canned foam decades before modern razors were invented.

I have been doing a four pass,five minute ,BBS shave daily since 1980 using canned foam and a DE so if you are pressed for time you might want to give it a try.
I simply find that a brush and decent soap makes my face feel better than when I used canned foams. However, if canned foam works well for you, I don't see any reason to change.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Granted, I haven't elaborated that well. It has nothing to do with DE shaving per se, but it does with time. In my eyes, canned goo + cart should equal blazing fast (much faster than building lather). It turned out it isn't quite true and the margin is not really big. Maybe that's due to me being used building lather on a soap as opposed to haveing no practice with hand lathering from can, but that's what it is.

. In my eyes, canned goo + cart should equal blazing fast

"Canned goo'' and DE are WAY faster than canned goo'' and cart (no need to rinse the clogged blade all the time and the DE glides better anyhow since it is way more efficient)

Whenever I use a disposable modern razor when traveling I get frustrated by the inefficiency and delay of the whole design and it takes me longer to complete my shave.

Get up earlier and give up the mythical quest for a BBS shave. A DFS should suffice. No one is going to stroke your jowls at the workplace.

You might cut a minute or three by using a shave stick. That’s what I do when pressed for time.

Alternatively, you could try shaving at night.

The closer you get to your expiration date, the more you realize how short life is, how quickly the calendar turns. IMO, too short for fast food, bad coffee, cheap soap, and uncomfortable shaves. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
proxy.php

The closer you get to your expiration date, the more you realize how short life is, how quickly the calendar turns. IMO, too short for fast food, bad coffee, cheap soap, and uncomfortable shaves. :)

How true.

Although for bath soap, my favorite is very inexpensive.

In terms of this thread, there's a place for using a good shaving soap and a nice brush with a cartridge razor. At least there was a time when I did that sometimes. Of course, I am weird and could get a decent enough shave with a cartridge, and weirder still because I could make a cartridge last for months (yes it tugged but it still shaved well enough and I liked it okay).

Having said all that, the way to shave is with a straight razor, for me I mean, and make time to do so; but I realize that making time is not possible for everyone; been there myself.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
I agree. Plus I shave before bed every 2-3 days. I hate being rushed in the morning. Fast food and bad coffee sucks!

@Chan Eil Whiskers

I use this same soap too. It is excellent and cost effective. It even works as shampoo.

But I don't understand why they changed the packaging. There was nothing wrong with the original. They claim that they did not change the formulation so, why change the label?

I almost missed it on the store shelf because I did not recognize it!

Corporate decisions often baffle me...

I still have carts for travel, but I prefer DE shaving in general.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@Chan Eil Whiskers

I use this same soap too. It is excellent and cost effective. It even works as shampoo.

But I don't understand why they changed the packaging. There was nothing wrong with the original. They claim that they did not change the formulation so, why change the label?

I almost missed it on the store shelf because I did not recognize it!

Corporate decisions often baffle me...

I still have carts for travel, but I prefer DE shaving in general.

Kirk's soap..jpeg Kirk'sSoap.mew.package.jpeg

...........Old package.....................New package.

I like the old package better, but, on the new package, I like "Since 1839."

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

I agree. My first 20 years of DE shaving was with canned foam and gels. I didn't start using soap and brush until my late 30s

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I agree. My first 20 years of DE shaving was with canned foam and gels. I didn't start using soap and brush until my late 30s

I used canned shaving creams for ten years along with various double edged Gillette razors and a Schick injector. This was before cartridge razors and before I grew and for years stuck with a beard.

The razors I used back then were Gillettes (except for the injector which I used very little because I didn't get the hang of it and because it seemed nerdy to me [what a d u m b a s s I was]). I know I used at least two models of the non-adjustable Gillette razors marketed back then (in the 60s) and also an adjustable (which was probably a Slim).

Much later - after having a full beard for years - I returned to razors, but cartridges and disposables had taken over. I used canned soaps. Occasionally I'd buy and use a very cheap and crummy brush and cheap shaving soap, but neither were in the league with anything you and I'd consider today.

proxy.php

I can remember going to yard sales in the 70s and early 80s where old razors were offered for sale. I suppose they were grandfather's old junk. Sometimes they still had a blade, and soap scum, and were coated with cut whiskers which somebody too lazy hadn't rinsed off. They'd be offered for maybe a nickel, but I never considered buying them, and I never saw anyone else buy them. Just junk they were. We all used the modern cartridge and/or disposable razors.

As I said, what a ******* I was.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom