What's new

Stop buying everything, enjoy your products (newbies watch this)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bomber only takes flack when they are over the target. The opposition to enjoying shaving without spending much money is interesting. Some are even trying to shoot down the bombers.

For myself, I may try some other lathering products in the future. However, I'll only buy a new soap when I'm almost out of all others, and I'll 3017 the new soap. I'm old enough to reserve the right to frequently change my mind.

Meanwhile, I've started another hobby. www.wheresgeorge.com. One nice thing about this hobby is it's free. It will partially bring back the traditional way of only spending cash.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
@Nicholas

I have to agree 100%. There is a gent that makes vids and goes by the name of Fuzzy. As he says, a razor is a razor and a blade is a blade. Virtually any razor can shave well and any blade.

Many people do spend stupid amounts of money on shaving. That's their prerogative, but some number of them do wake up after a period of time and regret it.

A bomber only takes flack when they are over the target. The opposition to enjoying shaving without spending much money is interesting. Some are even trying to shoot down the bombers.

For myself, I may try some other lathering products in the future. However, I'll only buy a new soap when I'm almost out of all others, and I'll 3017 the new soap. I'm old enough to reserve the right to frequently change my mind.

Meanwhile, I've started another hobby. www.wheresgeorge.com. One nice thing about this hobby is it's free. It will partially bring back the traditional way of only spending cash.
I will say that I read all of the posts after the initial poster and I can't find many people that are opposed saving money. What I gathered was that a bunch of adults saw the initial post for what it was. It was riddled with half truths, baseless accusations, and posturing. Many have the ability to see that this is a clear projection of one person's guilt and anger towards what he perceived as being taken advantage of. In the end, the decision to spend the money is the buyer and the buyer alone. No one physically stole it. Marketing can be a little off putting at times, but no one forces you to purchase material items. In the rest of the responses I don't think I found clear opposition to saving money, as much as people saying what boils down to "live and let live." If someone can spend a ton of money and wants to then more power to them, it's their prerogative. If someone wants to only have one shave set, again more power to them. In this case I don't believe the bomber metaphor really holds up as I read that plenty of the opposition clearly knows how to spend their money much more responsibly that the original poster. Maybe you meant that all the responsible people here who know how to spend their money wisely are the opposition? If that is this case then I agree. However, if the implication of your metaphor was that the ones in opposition were opposing because they were the target, then I would respectfully disagree. Clearly the original poster was not making responsible purchases and is now upset and feels like a victim to the marketing machine. I am most certainly the opposite of that. I come to B&B for real people and truthful responses, not for an echo chamber. The lively debates here at B&B are great and we are all the better for it. Cheers!

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Thought provoking thread .I watched most of the video. Not sure what to make of it all. Maybe the video guy is the wrong messenger? Hes done tons of "opinion" " reviews " basically selling the next best must haves....after all that he lays on the guilt trip? Body shop! Not even an artisan....
Reading this forum generally puts me in the buying mood. I have way too much gear but im not going to feel guilty about that now. Too late. I stopped watching these video pitch pieces ..... They slip in that the mfg sent it to them. I remember this fellow in particular going nuts about shannon soap lime. Best since the invention of the lime. I didn't buy it. To contrast b&b folks i think generally have paid for something and then review it. Yes people may become fan boys but i respect b&b member reviews for the most part. Except for the vegg and maybe one or two items i dont feel like ive been wronged. Yes ita ymmv but guilt trips are no fun.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
What I gathered was that a bunch of adults saw the initial post for what it was. It was riddled with half truths, baseless accusations, and posturing. Many have the ability to see that this is a clear projection of one person's guilt and anger towards what he perceived as being taken advantage of. In the end, the decision to spend the money is the buyer and the buyer alone.

Wow. Free psychoanalysis. In a shave forum to boot!

I've generally felt what Nick stated since I arrived here. Before spending any money or feeling any guilt. Not in full agreement with @Nicholas regarding artisan's but I've seen plenty of posts that looked like schilling to me, and that leaves me LESS likely to ever try that product.

Wow. Free psychoanalysis. In a shave forum to boot!

I've generally felt what Nick stated since I arrived here. Before spending any money or feeling any guilt. Not in full agreement with @Nicholas regarding artisan's but I've seen plenty of posts that looked like schilling to me, and that leaves me LESS likely to ever try that product.
Yeah sorry, sometimes I get carried away hahaha. I can agree with your comment. I dislike dishonest people as much as the next guy. We do however have to realize the difference between people who have real addiction or hoarding problems and those who just make bad decisions and have no personal accountability.

Chris makes a good point, but as long as it does become obsessive compulsive there ain't nothing wrong with trying a few different products until you find some that work for you.

For example, I never would have known how great the $9 Omega boar hair brush I just used is had I not tried a few different brushes.

And I suspect that Chris would never have made his comment about the scent of The Body Shop shaving cream had he not tried different scented shaving creams/soaps. Heck, after shaving for decades with a can of foamy goo, I did not even know that shaving soap came in different scents until about a year and a half ago.

So many ignorants and idlers in this thread... You can start your own basketball team, you know. If this thread was the cause that gathered you all together, that's nice.

If you don't agree with this thread, what the heck are you doing here? How much time do you have on your hands? Why are you even counting my threads? Are you so obsessed with me? Get a life dudes. Also, if you don't know someone, it would be better not to make assumptions. I have no regrets regarding my shaving expenses, it was fun anyway, but I could have the same results with much less money. What's your problem with that? If I'm sad that I've lost money according to you, then why I have given away so many items to relatives and friends for free the last years? I could have sold them and take at least some money back. Do I need your permission to start a thread? Are you for real? If it's not to your liking, move on, look elsewhere for an argument. There is life outside the forums, open your door and go for a walk, meet people.

This is my answer to these arrogants who think they know everything and have an opinion about everyone, especially people they don't even know.

proxy.php

If you know, you know.

I've already spent my precious time here, I'm not going to spend any more. Some people have so much free time... I can't believe they choose to spend it on forum arguments. My "to be ignored" list has spots for all of you.

I have not read the entire thread, but I have watched the video & most of IAMCDB's videos in the past.

He is not wrong in that shaving gear has reached a point where pretty much everything is excellent quality. Artisans who push new formulas now while upping the price are essentially preying on the curious and weak willed. Which is why I personally like artisans who have figured out their soap base years ago, stayed consistent (maybe added scents) and don't flood social media with their flashy advertisements.
As for wettubers promoting certain Artisans: it usually is pretty obvious who has ties to vendors or artisans, so if you watch them & fall for it - go blame yourself.

Which leads me to Christopher Bailey: he is not an uncontroversial figure himself. He has changed his channel 3 times now, is overly preachy (this is not limited to shaving) and clearly suffers from his divorce & everything that is related to it (he hinted on neglect having been an issue). So take what he says with a grain of salt, as I doubt he is in a good place (he comes across bitter and burned out in recent months), regardless of what he claims.

Also I do find it curious that he is pushing the Body Shop Maca Root Cream (I'd have a hard time promoting something that contains Triethanolamine and/or Tetrasodium EDTA) all of a sudden after singing the praises of Stirling & Razorock for so long on how their prices are excellent for the money & that you should support these artisans if you want them to continue offering products at that price.
Then his obsession with Carts. One I do find it amusing that he struggles getting a good head shave with a DE as really it isn't that different. Second, why promote disposible razors? That junk is only filling landfills and is not recyclable. As he does have children that is a poor attitude in my book.

EDIT:

If you don't agree with this thread, what the heck are you doing here?

Some people have so much free time... I can't believe they choose to spend it on forum arguments.

I'm curious, what do you think forums are for? I was under the impressions they are a plattform for discussions. But you seem to think they are an outlet for you to spread your "truth" while we agree in awe of your wisdom. That would explain your outbursts of aggression & frustration.

Last edited:
I'm curious, what do you think forums are for? I was under the impressions they are a plattform for discussions. But you seem to think they are an outlet for you to spread your "truth" while we agree in awe of your wisdom. That would explain your outbursts of aggression & frustration.

Curiosity killed the cat.

They certainly aren't for constant negative comments made by the same curmudgeons in every thread.

In my opinion, what others interpret as @Nicholas 's anger and frustration is simply his anger and frustration. Typically, the cause of anger and frustration is not being listened to. Through experience, he has gained an insight into the lifecycle of the new shaver that he would like to pass on. It seems that he would like to have others learn from his experience. Regardless of the video, it is true that those seeking the perfect shave may never get there. It is true people are influenced by advertising. It is true many people get various shaving addictions. It is true a person can get the same quality shave from a tried and true soap, brush, etc., and there is no need to buy thousands of dollars of stuff to find this shave.

Most people will moderate their emotional intensity to a tiny bit higher than the intensity that didn't work the last time. Emotions are the leading edge of communication. They are involuntary and difficult to fake. The problem comes when people ignore a person's idea and immediately jump to an explanation about why their way is better or simply another way of doing things. The next person to meet the angry and frustrated person will find this person shows an emotional intensity far higher than they would expect. They unexpectedly encounter the result of many others not agreeing they have a valid point. Eventually, the angry and frustrated person may withdraw and ignore the whole topic.

I have had a similar experience with diet. Through thousands of hours of study, I've learned about a diet that will prevent, arrest or cure 95% of chronic diseases. Few will listen, and mercifully, I have learned to keep my mouth shut even though six neighbors within a couple hundred feet of me have serious diseases that will shorten their lifespans. Unfortunately, nobody will listen, even though they can see the proof right in front of them. 0...…..

Others with opinions different than @Nicholas 's may feel threatened by his stance and respond with their anger and frustration. It is true some people like to become museum curators. It is true that some thrive on the hunt for a new and better product despite the cost. It is true that some are irresponsible with money. It is also true that many have an addiction they would like to end.

The problem is that those who don't share @Nicholas 's view far outnumber him, and he catches far more flack than those who don't share his opinion. This simple mathematical concept often leads to a "truth" being suppressed.

Personally, I prefer the buy to replace philosophy. I was lucky enough to quickly find a brush, razor, blade and soap combination that gives a good shave in about 10 minutes. I'm not interested in seeking a BBS. If I didn't quickly find the right combination, then I'd have done some exploring. I don't see myself changing anytime soon. Others can do as they like. I won't intrude too much in their threads. Perhaps, those seeking a simpler or less expensive way deserve the same respect.

For those who think this thread should end, I offer this cat wisdom:

There once were two cats of Kilkenny, Each thought there was one cat too many; So they fought and they fit, And they scratched And they bit, Till excepting their nails And the tips of their tails Instead of two cats There weren't any.

Those who don't like this thread have thousands of others to choose from.

The problem comes when people ignore a person's idea and immediately jump to an explanation about why their way is better or simply another way of doing things.

Rarely two people disagreeing know what their opponent's argument actually is. It's mostly projection and soapboxing. This is why people who agree 100% may keep on arguing with gusto. :a19:.

You will find greater values here. We are told:
"Curiosity killed the cat,
But satisfaction brought it back."
It is the same story with groceries.
"Prices will sell Groceries, but it is always final-
ity that brings the buyer back."

Last edited:
No one forces you to participate in a thread you don't agree with. This forum has so many sub-forums to meet each person's needs and preferences.

If your free time is countless and you constantly look for arguments, there is life outside the forums in case you don't know that. I have to repeat this I'm afraid. In this thread, you see the same people who seem to disagree in every thread, but they never miss the chance to express it their own way. At least do it in a polite way and move on. Some here even think they're psychologists and offer a diagnosis. They will soon offer treatment approaches. Who do they really think they are? Maybe they are the ones who need to consult a psychologist.

I'm moving on. I'm not really angry, but frustrated. So much negativity by the same members. Some of them are fairly new, they haven't really contributed anything except from their negativity. Ask for help guys, really.

Last edited:
I was with the OP until he/she got a bit preachy. I watched the video and he makes a lot of valid points I agree with—most of us probably would be just fine with one razor, one blade, one brush, and one soap or cream. But a lot of us try new stuff because we enjoy the hobby aspect. And, like Chris said in the video, you should try a bunch of things to find those that you really enjoy. My guess is many of us went through a discovery or binge buying phase but then settled in on what we liked most.

I was with the OP until he/she got a bit preachy. I watched the video and he makes a lot of valid points I agree with—most of us probably would be just fine with one razor, one blade, one brush, and one soap or cream. But a lot of us try new stuff because we enjoy the hobby aspect. And, like Chris said in the video, you should try a bunch of things to find those that you really enjoy. My guess is many of us went through a discovery or binge buying phase but then settled in on what we liked most.

In the OP's defense, he was trying to help out folks, I think. Sometimes when you start a thread with the best of intents, things go South. It's happened to everyone who has the balls to start a thread which goes a bit against the grain.

I do not think the OP was attempting to tell you or me what we should do. If I am wrong he can correct me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom