What's new

I have a light beard and do not get irritated ever

I am a fair skinned Norwegian American and my beard is blond to gray, at 65 years old. I am relatively new at DE shaving and really love it. I have purchased at least 2 - sometimes 3 blades of a sample of 26 different blades. They are so cheap I wanted to rule out the ones I didn't like at first. I am going through them now slowly with different razors. I have used to date for at least 4 shaves each: Rockwell, Dorco 301, Viking, Rapira Swedish SS, Treet Platinum, Gillette 7OClock SS, and Parker ( I now have 19 more brands to go through). I own the following razors and set at the following settings: Rockwell 6c (plate 2 and 3), Viking Emperor (set between 3 and 1 1/2), Parker Variant (set at 2 to 1), and Viking Crusader (set at 1/2 to 1/4 turn - no numbers on this razor). I like to shave every day - as the experience is very pleasurable - so I never have multiple days worth of beard - another variable in blade choice.
My question to the group is what blades with my skin, beard, and razors I own would one think would give me the smoothest and closest shave? I purposely did not tell you my ratings for the 7 I have used to date and am looking forward to trying all the blades. I do not think with me there is a "perfect - one only blade" I think different blades give you a different feel that one would like different days - so I am hoping to get the list down to 5 to 6 different brands to use on a rotation bais. When people say "it varies" on here - I wanted to take the variables out with beard type and equipment to see what people would say - or maybe even someone is the same as me in those characteristics? Thanks for your input!

Welcome to B&B. Astra SP has a good following sothat should give you a good shave. Also consider Gillette Silver Blue and Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge. The Astra Superior Stainless are also very close to the Astra SP.

I think, looking at the ones that you have used, that you have much better shaves ahead. I've used a bunch of different blades and Gillette Nacets, Silver Blues, and Astra SP (green package) have really risen to the top for me. I will also use Personna Red and Gillette 7 O'Clock super platinum (black) sometimes. Those are good, but not as good as the first three that I mentioned. When I run out of them I probably won't buy more. The Personnas are smooth, but not very sharp. That might not be an issue for you with your lighter beard. The blacks are pretty sharp, but I've found them inconsistent.

Thanks so much for your input... it is fun trying the different blades...I enjoy all the selections

Welcome to B&B. Astra SP has a good following sothat should give you a good shave. Also consider Gillette Silver Blue and Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge. The Astra Superior Stainless are also very close to the Astra SP.
Thanks for your thoughts . getting a lot of feedback it does seem strange that a company Astra makes two blades that are so similar and not much different at all.

Blades may be the most YMMV aspect of traditional wet shaving.

That said, my top tier (in no particular order):
GSB
Personna lab
Nacet
Personna red
Astra SP

The main thing is to ENJOY THE JOURNEY!! :a14::a14::a14:

..it does seem strange that a company Astra makes two blades that are so similar and not much different at all.
That is just my view. Some claim the SS is sharper but for smootness and sharpness I would put the Superior Platinum ahead. The Nacet has recently gone up in my estimation too. Of course all these blades I have mentioned are made in the St Petersburg plant.

I am a fair skinned Norwegian American and my beard is blond to gray, at 65 years old.

I'm a 55 year old warm beige British American with a Brown to Gray Beard. :) But my skin hardly gets irritated as well. I find that steep shaving works best for my beard, and that the blade chosen has more to do with longevity of the blade than the closeness of the shave for me.

When blades cost around $0.07 per shave, at most - don't understand why people push the blades to 5 - 8 shaves and get a poor shave the last time. They are so cheap I only use for 2 or 3 times at most...why have an uncomfortable last shave, just to "save" $.04 or so! I really enjoy the nuances of each blade - as I am very fortunate to have a soft light beard that doesn't get irritated and I shave daily. I have never had even one bad experience with a blade yet. I guess if I only shaved every 3 to 5 days and my beard was thick and coarse, the blade choices would be more limited and I would have some "poor shaves". I'm lucky.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have a very similar beard and before I began using straight razors I had settled on Personna (the ones in the blue box). They are reasonably well priced and very comfortable.

When blades cost around $0.07 per shave, at most - don't understand why people push the blades to 5 - 8 shaves and get a poor shave the last time. They are so cheap I only use for 2 or 3 times at most...why have an uncomfortable last shave, just to "save" $.04 or so! I really enjoy the nuances of each blade - as I am very fortunate to have a soft light beard that doesn't get irritated and I shave daily. I have never had even one bad experience with a blade yet. I guess if I only shaved every 3 to 5 days and my beard was thick and coarse, the blade choices would be more limited and I would have some "poor shaves". I'm lucky.

It's taken a year being a member to realize that most of the talk about needing an aggressive razor comes from folks who do not shave everyday. A person who shaves, as you do, can use anything. Glad you are here and hope you enjoy the ride.

The Astra SP is what I settled on even though I have few Feather blades just for grins.

Well, I get BBSs with whatever blade. My current blade gave a comfortable shave, but only a DFS due to a small patch on my neck so I'll be changing blades. It was shave 21 with that blade. Had it been in worse shape, I would have changed it, mid-shave. I think it strange that people think they are locked into whichever blade they started the shave with. Even if you only had 1 SR you would probably at least try to strop it more rather than continue with a poor shave. I see no need to throw away a blade because I count to a certain number. I let the shave determine when to dispose of the blade. I can get 2 or 3 BBS shaves with even the much hated VDH blades, why would I think a good quality blade would only be good for the same 2-3?

Top Bottom