What's new

Scales......shape em? or keep em flat?

hey guys im making some new scales for a restore. and im kind of at an impass. wether to shape them and contour them, or keep them flat and just "ease" the edge. just wondering your thoughts on the matter, (i know its artistic individual creativity but im just looking for ideas) . If you guys wouldnt mind posting a couple of pics of both options you may have created please do! hoping to mabye have an "a ha" moment lol. btw here they are at the present time. toxic green kirinite patterned after the originals. im loving the color myself and cant wait to see them finished!
IMG_20190306_081744_01.jpg

thats what im talking about lol. i have seen both where i said to myself " that looks sharp!" squared off looks modern, angular. then there is the elegant curves of a shaped scale. (rubs head) . i feel like i just need to get more razors so i can do several of both to be satisfied lol

I'm new to the restoration thing, but just did my first scale replacement. Used a set of generic horn scales on a W&B 7/8, faux frameback, "Hollow Ground" razor and did no shaping, just put the scales on as is.

I'm disappointed with the results. The scales are too thick given that the blade itself is quite thick at the tang. The result is a "boxy" feel that I do not enjoy. Also, without narrowing the pivot end scale radius, the scales cover too much of the tang to give me a comfortable grip. And I think I made the wedge too wide and have more blade in the scales than I want.

Bottom line, I've bought a vintage set of shaped W&B scales (that need the wedge redone due to the length of my blade) and I'm deciding whether to rescale with those or use this as a first foray into shaping the scales I already drilled.

So I'm on the side of shaped scales. At least in general.

i think im going to wind up shaping them. i think im going to mimic what was on the razor before. it had a unique shape. it was more of a really really chamfered edge. the result was it made the illusion that they were even smaller than they really are. they looked almost dainty.

They look better shaped than flat, but I would thin them down to around 2 to 3mm thick or they end up being to thick and bulky.

When in doubt, shape them out. I made a pairing knife once, which had a very modern handle, one of my best looking handles, but I did not round the edges, I kept everything sharp and defined. Aesthetically it looks cool, but was very uncomfortable in the handle. Find that right balance between form and function and you'll be happy! Please share how they turn out.

is it weird that i think the best part of that photo is the playdoh container?lol. no ive decided to shape these for sure. just haven't had the time with work. like i said i might do a hybrid of both. the originals weee really cool. ill post some pics of them as well. i used them to trace the new ones. and doc thanks for the picture! and yes im still getting one boxed up fer ya i just gotta get some time. hopefully this weekend ill get to them.

Top Bottom