What's new

New to Straight Razor Shaving

Course you need another razor, who doesn't need another razor. I try to restrain myself to around one a month and managing fairly well at that rate.

Almost all vintage razors will be excellent.

Just have to look out for the typical things with restores, is there adequate hone wear meaning not too much and not too little in relation to blade width? No overheated metals.. poorly lit or poorly taken pictures intended to obscure issues. cracks, excessive pitting near the edge, etc..

As far as restorers, some like to get things to super shiny, and this is a personal preference. some shiny looks well done and appropriate, some doesn't. if you want specific razor feedback based on opinions, put up a pic (no pricing advice though)

Some of the biggest names in the game have proofed that Dovo are shave ready edges out of the box after stropping. What is pleasing to see is how Dovo is growing despite the negative grape vine stories.

Could you please tell us who these “biggest names in the game” are who have “proofed” that after some stropping Dovos are shave-ready out of the box?

Because, rather than “a negative grape vine story” {sic} it appears to be a general consensus where many shavers and sellers agree that the Dovo “factory edge” is not quite what they would consider “shave ready”.

It would be interesting to find out where we have been wrong all along and where our own experience may have mislead us so badly.

Or maybe we just expect more (than Dovo is offering) from a “shave ready” edge?

B.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, my name is Patrick. I am 25 and from Texas and just started using a straight razor about a month ago. I bought a Dovo Best 5/8 and I really like it, but after doing a little bit of research I learned that a 6/8 is a little better for thicker hair. I don't know if I am just wanting to acquire a new razor, or if I am tired of shaving every two days, but I wanted to get y'alls advice on some good razors and retailers. I like Dovo a lot, but I was wanting to try something new out if y'all had any recommendations. I would be looking for something around 6/8, rounded, and anywhere from $150-$250. I would go up to $300 if it was necessary.

If you want a new razor, get a new razor, but 6/8 is no better for any type of beard over a 5/8. It's all about how good your edge is and what you are comfortable shaving with (basically technique).

I personally love big blades, I think I only have 1 blade smaller than 6/8. Most are 7/8 or 8/8.

Remember a DE blade has PTFE baked onto it which reduces the cutting friction. Your have to compensate for this with hydration. Over time your strop with lubricate the edge a little but even so.

Ummmm...yeah, no. Your strop does not lubricate your edge.

Geofatboy from Shave Nation, Jorrod from The Superior Shave to name 2 of the bat.

Since we are into names can you please share the “we just expect more & where we have been wrong”

They provide proof that they are shave ready, you just have an opinion...

Last edited:
If you want a new razor, get a new razor, but 6/8 is no better for any type of beard over a 5/8. It's all about how good your edge is and what you are comfortable shaving with (basically technique).

I personally love big blades, I think I only have 1 blade smaller than 6/8. Most are 7/8 or 8/8.

Ummmm...yeah, no. Your strop does not lubricate your edge.
Beg to disagree. The oil from a well conditioned strop coats the edge.

Geofatboy from Shave Nation, Jorrod from The Superior Shave to name 2 of the bat.

Since we are into names can you please share the “we just expect more & where we have been wrong”

They provide proof that they are shave ready, you just have an opinion...

I see.

So Geofatboy, the seller, demonstrates an incomplete one-pass shave, quotes the Dovo rep who told him their wares were shave ready (Who would ever doubt the word of a sales rep?), talks at the end to a Harley rep, and then has several comments to his video from Dovo buyers who say that their razors did definitely not arrive shave ready.

Not to worry, since he also produced this video where he shows how to make the edge of a brand-new straight razor, straight out of the package, “better than it comes from the factory”:

And Jarrod states for the Dovo Best Quality ⅝ and other Dovo razors:

Truly “Shave Ready”!

Your Dovo Best Quality 5/8 straight razor arrives professionally-honed and “shave ready“! I (the owner, my name is Jarrod ......, use that search engine thingy) am further honing the razor post-factory using Arkansas stones made intentionally convex (just as done in Solingen). I assign my good business name for honing (check our reputation on the Badger & Blade forum) to the quality of the shaving edge you receive, and you only get one name!

Jarrod must be either terribly bored to hone an already (as per Dovo rep) shave ready razor or maybe he just thinks that his customers deserve better than the Dovo definition of shave ready.

Sorry mate, nice try but no cigar.

Subject closed.

B

Last edited:
Second video is a Boker, please catch a wake up.
Did you bother to watch Jarrod opening 10-15 new Dovos, strop and show edges sharpness. I guess not. Secondly he also provides sharpening services and will send custom honed razors to customers who request it so. You also watch him make a full shave with new Dovo, without Harley talk.

Doing a quick search engine thingy will give you an opinionated, ill informed result a ilustrated in your quick response.

I am also waiting on your “we” remark, as it currently stand you are alone.
I am enjoying the cigar btw...

Last edited:
I ordered my Dovo and the only thing I did is strop it before my first shave and it did the job. Now with that being said, that is my only razor and my only point of reference. I learned a lot from Geo and Jarrod. I probably watched 80% of Geo's videos before I even ordered my straight razor and Jarrods video on replacing scales really helped out when I had to replace my scales. I do take both of their opinions to be very useful.

Learn from those that know what they talk about and enjoy your new found shaving love.

I still think you should get either Flowing or Bismarck next, the 6/8 shoulderless blades really shave fantastic.

Has anyone had any experience with a Fromm Special no. 72 or a Henckels Friodur no. 72 1/2 or a Dubl Duck Goldedge? I would really love to get a Thiers, but I don't have water stones to hone it and I read that those need a little honing before you can shave with them. But I think I've limited it down to those 3 or 4. Does anyone have an opinion on those razors?

No experience with those but they are great brands. Honing services from reputable member here/elsewhere will sort your honing needs, no need to buy stones. They are great looking blades especially the Fromm.

Has anyone had any experience with a Fromm Special no. 72 or a Henckels Friodur no. 72 1/2 or a Dubl Duck Goldedge? I would really love to get a Thiers, but I don't have water stones to hone it and I read that those need a little honing before you can shave with them. But I think I've limited it down to those 3 or 4. Does anyone have an opinion on those razors?

I like my Friodur 17. MVIMG_20190223_102118-01.jpeg

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
My first straight razor was a Dovo "Best Quality". I have owned three "Best" razors, all three brand new. Actually one was a rebranded Conk. NONE of the three were shave ready when I bought them. Furthermore, all three were twisted/warped to the point that I was initially unable to set a bevel. I am not repeating urban legend here. My own experience. One of them survived in my junkbox and eventually 20 years or so later I put it to rights after a baptism under fire, honing dozens of Gold Dollars. I had to be quite aggressive with the Best and the end result was a razor with extremely inconsistent bevel width. Almost none on show side toe and back side heel, and very wide show side heel and back side toe. Maybe vice versa, don't remember for sure. But these razors were poor examples of Solingen craftsmanship indeed. I have bought two brand new Dovo Bismarcks. Still have them, along with others bought used, and vintage Bismarck Bismarcks. Shave ready? I have to admit that the brand new ones were capable of shaving, but they were honed by the vendor. I did quickly bring them up to my own standards of sharpness, with no drama, though. Were they shave ready from the factory, by anyone's standards? I doubt it. I will never know since they were vendor honed but I must assume not, or he wouldn't bother honing them, but I can't state it for a fact.

If Dovo suddenly after all these years is putting a shave worthy edge on their "Best Quality" razors, it is welcome news to me, and it would be surprising news, too, if I dared believed it. And no way would I personally spend my own money to find out if it were true. Three lemons in a row is enough for me. "Kick the football, Charlie Brown!!!" Lol. I am just glad that there are vendors who do set these razors up properly for newbie shavers.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
That's what I figured it was. The 5/8 shaves great and when it first pulled it was definitely my angle. Not the razor. I also wanted to get a new one because I read that it was bad to strop a razor everyday so I cannot shave everyday. Thank you for the suggestions!

Remember the shampoo instructions, "Lather, Rinse, Repeat"? Instantly people who read and follow instructions began using and buying twice as much shampoo. Some marketing genius probably got very wealthy off that. "You must allow the razor to rest a couple of days between use" is a very similar bon mot. A hilarious statement, to be sure. But some folks believe, including some guys who otherwise would have only owned one razor. You can strop, and shave, multiple times a day, with the same razor if you like.

That does not mean you ought not buy another razor. By all means, buy all you want, within your budget. And if you like your "Best", you are in for a treat when you try a Bismarck or a Flowing or another of the same profile, or maybe a Prima Klang. Those are actually good razors. But your best bang for the buck is in vintage razors of good condition. You got one new razor. Try a vintage before dropping a bunch of semolians on another new one. Then get that Bismarck from thesuperiorshave.com. It will arrive shave ready, honed by Jarrod.

My first straight razor was a Dovo "Best Quality". I have owned three "Best" razors, all three brand new. Actually one was a rebranded Conk. NONE of the three were shave ready when I bought them. Furthermore, all three were twisted/warped to the point that I was initially unable to set a bevel.
Can you please elaborate on what you mean by "rebranded Conk"?
Can you also tell me (approximately) when and where you purchased these razors?

Top Bottom