What's new

How do you shave under your nose with a DE?

A couple of XTG passes will get you there. The WTG has to be steep and I would have to be very confident to try an ATG pass below the nose with a straight razor. You got to stretch that top lip down as much as possible to get that area shaved.

+1! Also pick a low profile razor head (as suggested by OP).

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Ordered, thanks for the advice!
Will provide an update once I have tried it.

You're welcome!

Its a very good razor. Coming from a straight all you'll need to do is find the angle which should be pretty easy. I think of my Grande as a straight razor with a training wheel, the cap.

Think about the angle you'd use with a straight, then imagine the red line in the picture below. Thats the angle I generally use mine with.

IMG_2182 (2).JPG

I'd expect quite a different between a Fatip and your Futur. I'll be curious to read your impressions. :)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I typed this mistakenly in the wrong thread lol.

On a side note about the Piccolo. It will be considerably smaller than your Futur. Its built more like a race car compared to a street car if you know what I mean. The (Fatip) Piccolo Lovers’ Club: PLC has some very dedicated followers and for very good reason.

All I do is shave from the left and right towards my nostrils. Then on the last pass I shave upwards towards the nose using a very shallow angle. I can feel when it starts to get the hair under my nose. Then I just feel under my nose to make sure I have got the hairs and if not take a few more shallow passes under that area. The length of the strokes I use up there is very short.

I shave in a combination of three directions under the nose: North to south as much as possible. Sideways. And at a 45 degree angle between the two previous angles.

BTW have you ruled out a Schick Injector style of razor for under the nose shaving?

A couple of years ago, I got a nasty nick right at the top edge of my lip. I decided not to shave my upper lip until the wound healed. By that time, I had a decent looking mustache. I still have it today. Problem solved. My chin is so difficult to shave, I have thought about growing a goatee as well.
I grew a soul patch for this very reason.

On the days i've missed a few up tight to the nostrils, only ever the left side and never notice until well after everything is packed away and i'm dressed, i grab my old Trac II and dry, take care of the offenders.
dave

I dont worry about BBS lip or chin, two or 3 passes WTG is plenty smooth when using a SR. If you have average growing hair, stubble will be there after 4 hours feeling ATG. It is not worth the effort, risk or time to focus on BBS chin/lip IMO. Get it smooth WTG and be done, its also better for my skin.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Am I the only one who simply turns the DE upside down to shave under my nose? I just assumed that's what everyone did?

I have a Merkur 38C and I force my top lip down over my top teeth, angle my head up slightly, and then use the corner of the razor blade at an angle, like using the square point of a cut throat. Small, gentle strokes until the hair is removed all the way to where the upper lip meets the nostril.

I typed this mistakenly in the wrong thread lol.

On a side note about the Piccolo. It will be considerably smaller than your Futur. Its built more like a race car compared to a street car if you know what I mean. The (Fatip) Piccolo Lovers’ Club: PLC has some very dedicated followers and for very good reason.

The postie girl delivered my Piccolo yesterday, I ordered the special edition with both the heads.

First impressions: It's so tiny! Cute! Had a good look at it and I am impressed by how well it seems to have been made, I like the finishes.

I decided to try the closed comb first, call me a chicken, but I have very little experience with DE razors, and I didn't want to rip my skin off because of bad technique.

Loaded it with a fresh Feather Hi Stainless, checked the alignment to be sure its parallel and evenly exposed. I carefully started and was pleasantly surprised how easy I got the hang of it. One pass WTG one pass ATG. The bit under the nose that started the thread seemed to be much easier to reach, went WTG for first pass, curling the lip over my teeth like you guys explained, and then XTG from the direction of the corner of my mouth, carefully pushing the corner of the razor into the difficult to reach spots, think I got most of it, so I will count that as a success. By that time I was so confident that I carefully did the across the lips from the corner of my mouth pass, to catch the few stragglers on the edge of my lips. The alum block indicated I had a close shave, but no undue irritation, I have had much worse with a SR when you force things or use too steep an angle.

Impressions after the shave:
I can only compare it to the Futur clone I used before, that's the sum of my experience. I like it. Because its so small and the head so thin, it's easy to manoeuvre and reach corners. Audible feedback is less that the Futur, so sometimes I didn't know if my angle was right, but after the first pass I could feel the bits I missed and went back to them. When it's time to change the blade I will try the open comb, I don't believe in transplanting blades, just makes sense to me that they deform to suit the head, and may not settle so well in a different head.

Am I converted? No, think I will be a SR guy for as long as I can manage, but saying that, I did enjoy it, and I will make place for the Picollo on days I am pressed for time. I do prefer it over the Futur. I can also see it being a nice travel companion, requiring less baggage and preparation than the straights.

Thank you all for the advice!

If i use a bulky head razor (fatboy etc) i have to push my nose to the other side.
One of the benefits of other nimbler razor like Fatip , and Gillette OT as others already mentioned - no fuss at all.
For the ATG pass under my nose i begin with a sideway move and slowly turn to ATG while buffing.
This. I just got a couple Fatip's (they're cheap, why not?) and the first thing I remarked about is how nimble the head is, especially compared to my DE89 which is a mammoth by comparison.

BTW @Akis , that is a fantastic Avatar......I'd recognize that weapon at a glance from any distance!

for me, I tend to miss the corners of my mouth more than the few hairs under my nose. while I don't have a substantial "O2 harvester", my nose isn't small either. I go XTG both left to right and back again, riding the upper most corner of the head to get that last line of hairs. Nail it more than I don't.

the corners of the mouth on the other hand.....that gets me more than it doesn't, and I'm pissed until I shave again!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I carefully started and was pleasantly surprised how easy I got the hang of it. One pass WTG one pass ATG. The bit under the nose that started the thread seemed to be much easier to reach, went WTG for first pass, curling the lip over my teeth like you guys explained, and then XTG from the direction of the corner of my mouth, carefully pushing the corner of the razor into the difficult to reach spots, think I got most of it, so I will count that as a success.

Happy to hear you like it. It only gets easier and better. They are very user friendly because they're so predictable and will only bite if I make a mistake. The only surprise I've ever had from mine is how close I shave I get so easily and so quickly.

There is another way I shave under my nose. I push the cap of the razor firmly against the opening of my nostril and with my lip pulled down tightly I rock the handle. That works pretty well too but you need to make sure your skin is tight and that tension doesnt change. If you get a nick at the base of your nostril, I'll tell you, it hurts! lol

Top Bottom