What's new

Omega S-brush, a different kind of animal.

I keep reading about these Omega S-brushes that Omega came out with a couple of years ago. They are suppose to be a synthetic fiber with a Hog bristle effect. Just as most synthetic brushes try to imitate the feel of a badger these S-bushes attempt to imitate the feel of a boar brush. I guess they want to bring the best of both worlds. The quick drying of a synthetic and the scrubby backbone of a boar.

I've always had a problem when I try using a boar brush to face-lather using a shave stick. I never seem to have enough lather for more than one pass. I have no problem with synthetics with this, only boars.

So I thought it might be interesting to give one of these Hog synthetics a try. I ordered an Omega S-10108 brush. This one is a pretty good size with a 27mm knot and a 57mm loft.
This particular one seems to be available only on eBay or the Shoe Box Shave Shop. The price varies from $9.99 - $12.99. Not bad either way.
So I ordered one that should be in by Sat. Once I get it I will give a full review.
Here is a picture of the one I ordered.
S-10108.jpg

Last edited:
I have the opposite problem. I can face lather and get 4 passes even from the Semogue 1470. But face lathering with the 24mm S-brush is a pain. It doesn't splay other than on the chin and the lather is like it disappears. I can only bowl lather with it, but i stopped trying. I use it maybe 2 times a year now and that's it. Maybe yours, being the bigger size will be better.

I have the opposite problem. I can face lather and get 4 passes even from the Semogue 1470. But face lathering with the 24mm S-brush is a pain. It doesn't splay other than on the chin and the lather is like it disappears. I can only bowl lather with it, but i stopped trying. I use it maybe 2 times a year now and that's it. Maybe yours, being the bigger size will be better.

I haven't used it yet so I don't know what to expect. All I know is when I try to use a boar brush with a shave stick, it just doesn't work. I get 1 pass and that's all. Do you use shave sticks at all with a boar?

This is good to know.
I love my Omega Pro and I wondered about these. I mostly bowl lather.
I look forward to your review.

I have owned many synthetics and I can't wait to compare this one to the others as well as how it compares to other boar brushes. It seems like everything else, some guys seem to love the S-brush and other guys not so much.

Good luck. But the comments I've read on the internet about the omega pro synthetic don't seem very favourable.

I have seen many reviews that give them a lot of praise. That's why I bought one. I wouldn't by a brush that everyone hated. As I said in my last post, it's just like everything else, some guys will love it and some will not.

I keep reading about these Omega S-brushes that Omega came out with a couple of years ago. They are suppose to be a synthetic fiber with a Hog bristle effect. Just as most synthetic brushes try to imitate the feel of a badger these S-bushes attempt to imitate the feel of a boar brush. I guess they want to bring the best of both worlds. The quick drying of a synthetic and the scrubby backbone of a boar.

I've always had a problem when I try using a boar brush to face-lather using a shave stick. I never seem to have enough lather for more than one pass. I have no problem with synthetics with this, only boars.

So I thought it might be interesting to give one of these Hog synthetics a try. I ordered an Omega S-10108 brush. This one is a pretty good size with a 27mm knot and a 57mm loft.
This particular one seems to be available only on eBay or the Shoe Box Shave Shop. The price varies from $9.99 - $12.99. Not bad either way.
So I ordered one that should be in by Sat. Once I get it I will give a full review.
Here is a picture of the one I ordered.
View attachment 954501

Should be an interesting review!! :a21::a21::a21:

No, you are entirely wrong. Those others you mentioned are not meant to feel like a boar. Did you not read my original post?

The problem with the S-brush trying to imitate boars, is that 1) Boars aren't springy, 2) You press them and they splay, anywhere. The S-brush fails miserably in both these sectors and i wonder how many of those who like them, 1) have tried newer generation synthetics and 2) face lather.

But, at the end, like all things in wetshaving, YMMV.

The problem with the S-brush trying to imitate boars, is that 1) Boars aren't springy, 2) You press them and they splay, anywhere. The S-brush fails miserably in both these sectors and i wonder how many of those who like them, 1) have tried newer generation synthetics and 2) face lather...

We have a winner.

Omega S10019 is my favorite synthetic. I also have a Barbury by Sibel. I've tried the synthetics in the pass around, but really didn't care for them. They all lather well, but I don't like how they feel face lathering. An S-brush doesn't feel like a boar though, it just comes closer than other synthetics.

Boars are my favorites, and while quite different, horse and S-brushes come in second, followed by synthetics.

Omega S10019 is my favorite synthetic. I also have a Barbury by Sibel. I've tried the synthetics in the pass around, but really didn't care for them. They all lather well, but I don't like how they feel face lathering. An S-brush doesn't feel like a boar though, it just comes closer than other synthetics.

Boars are my favorites, and while quite different, horse and S-brushes come in second, followed by synthetics.

Thanks!
I like my original Omega Pro and used it this morning. I am considering either another boar or a S brush.
What technique do you use with the S brush?

Top Bottom