What's new

Next step: scuttle(s) or turkish bowl?

What should I get next for bowl lathering?

• Total voters
I love my turkish copper mug for lather-building, but it doesn't retain heat for anything. You can set it in a sink (or other basin like Tupperware/takeout container) of hot water to emulate a scuttle's effect. One thing I learned the hard way is that the humidity from the shower can cause the copper to start to tarnish and leave a green ring on the counter.

But from the choices, the Turkish bowl is cheap and highly effective. That was my vote.

I love my turkish copper mug for lather-building, but it doesn't retain heat for anything.

Yeah, that would be my main cheap option.

I suggest you look in your local antique and thrift shops!

I'll pay a visit to the local shops!

How about something more local?

PantaRei Shaving Bowls

I don't like those very much, actually, and my budget would cover half of one of those scuttles. :001_302:

Since I broke my Korium ceramic bowl I've turned to unbreakable things, I have scuttles but they're more ornamental now. My favourite is the Captains choice heavy copper bowl but the Turkish mug works fine. I only bowl lather creams but either of these build a great lather. I also have a green Proraso mug unbreakable but not wide enough for me. I use it as a brush soaker now. Ceramic looks great but soap and water make the occasional juggle inevitable, at least for my butter fingers!

I couldn't decide on a scuttle because of the high shipping cost and settled for a turkish hammered bowl (one of the larger models) for the meantime. I really grew fond of it and even if I'll decide for a scuttle some day, the bowl will still be a nice addition to my shaving gear.

I just bought a Georgetown Pottery Scuttle bowl, hopefully it's as good as everyone says it is.

They're very nice, but -sadly- shipping to Italy would exceed my budget.
Congrats on your new bowl!

Since I broke my Korium ceramic bowl I've turned to unbreakable things, I have scuttles but they're more ornamental now. My favourite is the Captains choice heavy copper bowl but the Turkish mug works fine.

Korium bowls are lovely, in my opinion, but I agree: I'm really worried about using ceramic while shaving.

I couldn't decide on a scuttle because of the high shipping cost and settled for a turkish hammered bowl (one of the larger models) for the meantime.

That's what I'm thinking at the moment.
How large is that? I have found a nice turkish bowl: hammered copper, tin-plated, with dimples even on the bottom part of the inner bowl, and it's 12 cm (4 3/4") x 6,50 cm (2 1/2").

I would go with the polypropylene shatterproof travel version... if you can find one. See my post, posted a few minutes ago in this forum, comparing it against a ceramic scuttle.

That's what I'm thinking at the moment.
How large is that? I have found a nice turkish bowl: hammered copper, tin-plated, with dimples even on the bottom part of the inner bowl, and it's 12 cm (4 3/4") x 6,50 cm (2 1/2").

The dimensions given as: W:13.5 cm x H:6.7 cm WEIGHT 133gr

Top Bottom