What's new

Next step: scuttle(s) or turkish bowl?

What should I get next for bowl lathering?

• Total voters
I've been wet-shaving for nearly two years, now, and using straight razors for one year and a half.

So far I have enjoyed my Ikea bamboo bowl for lathering, that I got for less than 5 €, but now I feel I'm ready for the next step, and I'd like a bit of advice: should I get a turkish copper bowl, the hammered kind, or a scuttle?

And the scuttle should be a ceramic one like the PAA Crown King (black, I guess), or the polypropylene shatterproof travel version?

Nothing too fancy, I just have to replace my wooden bowl and I like shatterproof things. The hot lather in winter / cool lather in summer tickles my fancy, but I don't sneeze at less-than-10€ turkish bowls, either.

TL;DR
Should I get:
  • a turkish bowl, hammered copper (outside) and tin (inside): around 8 - 10 €, shipped;
  • a PAA Crown King ceramic scuttle: I guess 40 €, shipping to Italy included;
  • a PAA shatterproof scuttle: in the 35 € area, shipping included;
  • another brand or model of scuttle, still in the 30 - 40 € budget zone.

Thanks. :001_cool:

I have the PAA moonscape and the PAA shatterproof scuttles and I love them. They are reasonably priced for what you get. The moonscape is my mainstay and the shatterproof is when I go on trips. Can't go wrong. Now seeing that you are not in the US, you may also want to check out local pottery places and see if they offer anything similar. After I got my scuttles, I happened across a local pottery place that sold scuttles very cheaply. If I had not had the scuttles already I would have purchased it. Enjoy and have fun.

there's something very pleasing about a warm scuttle on a cold day for me. I've been face lathering for years, but I have a one off (dad's wife made it for me) brush scuttle that keeps the brush/lather warm between passes.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm pretty much face lathering only, these days, but I loved my Turkish copper/tin bowl. Cheap as chips, light and comfortable in the hand, and effective.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
My vote would be for the Captain's Choice Copper Lather Bowl. You can still sit in the sink with hot water around it and it should keep the lather warm. Shatterproof unlike a ceramic scuttle.

I'm a real cheap person that don't like bells and whistles. My lather bowl for a long time was a $1 pottery one from a Japan department store. It was cheap and it built lather. I recently upgraded to the $8 hammered copper bowls from Turkey and it cut my lathering time in half with all the small dimples. It kind of took the fun out of building a lather slowly, but it built a better lather faster. For me all I want to do is to build a good, consistent lather.

I'm a real cheap person that don't like bells and whistles. My lather bowl for a long time was a $1 pottery one from a Japan department store. It was cheap and it built lather. I recently upgraded to the $8 hammered copper bowls from Turkey and it cut my lathering time in half with all the small dimples. It kind of took the fun out of building a lather slowly, but it built a better lather faster. For me all I want to do is to build a good, consistent lather.
You mean Cost Efficient? LOL. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Sorry, my work partner always does that to me. I'll start a sentence, "I'm cheap..." Then he'll cut me off and say, "You mean Cost Efficient. Continue..."

The hammered copper bowls work but a scuttle is even better, e.g. the Steve Woodhead is great and I use it throughout the year.

There's a plastic scuttle, but the brand name escapes me at the moment.
[edit]
Here we go:
shatterproof-jpg.892236

There was a thread about it - crown king plastic scuttle

Thanks everyone for your precious support and advice!

These are really nice, and this large satin black scuttle would be my choice.
Sadly, I'd have to fork out 54 €, shipping included.

I have the PAA moonscape and the PAA shatterproof scuttles and I love them. [...] Now seeing that you are not in the US, you may also want to check out local pottery places and see if they offer anything similar.

The Moonscape is lovely and very reasonably priced, but the shipping costs are awful: 20 € scuttle, 30 € shipping.

For shatterproof, I'd recommend either of these: [...]
However, given that you live in the Eurozone, I'd be really tempted to get something more fragile from Steve Woodhead.

Those are very nice, but I'm more inclined towards scuttles. The turkish bowl would be a way to keep going, for now, without spending dozens of bucks.

The Steve Woodhead scuttle I have linked earlier (this one), in response to Seveneighth's comment, is very appealing!

There's something very pleasing about a warm scuttle on a cold day for me.

That's the feeling I aim to try!

I'm pretty much face lathering only, these days, but I loved my Turkish copper/tin bowl. Cheap as chips, light and comfortable in the hand, and effective.

Yup, that's the solution I'll pick if I can't find a reasonably priced scuttle here in Europe.

My vote would be for the Captain's Choice Copper Lather Bowl. You can still sit in the sink with hot water around it and it should keep the lather warm. Shatterproof unlike a ceramic scuttle.

I guess the same applies to turkish bowls, that are way cheaper and have that exotic look, almost lovecraftian.

I really like the Timeless bowl especially after shattering my clay bowl

Ouch!

I have a Georgetown Pottery Scuttle which ran me $35 used. It's a game changer.

Sadly, the shipping costs would inflate that price very noticeably.

I'm a real cheap person that don't like bells and whistles. My lather bowl for a long time was a $1 pottery one from a Japan department store. It was cheap and it built lather. I recently upgraded to the $8 hammered copper bowls from Turkey and it cut my lathering time in half with all the small dimples.

I can totally relate!

You mean Cost Efficient?

Ahahah, lol!

The hammered copper bowls work but a scuttle is even better, e.g. the Steve Woodhead is great and I use it throughout the year.

They're very nice indeed!

There's a plastic scuttle, but the brand name escapes me at the moment.
[edit]
Here we go:
There was a thread about it - crown king plastic scuttle

Yes, the PAA shatterproof scuttle is one of the scuttles I'm considering, and it's in the poll options. Sadly, the lathering inner bowl is quite small. The Moonscape version is ceramic but a little larger, and apparently that hits the right spot.

I use the Crown King Travel Scuttle from PAA when on the road, but lately I've found myself using it frequently at home as well. Perhaps it's the cold weather, but that lather that stays warm for the second or third pass feels really good! And I don't worry about inadvertently knocking the scuttle off my bathroom counter and watching it shatter on the floor. Very easy to clean, also.

Thanks everyone for your precious support and advice!

These are really nice, and this large satin black scuttle would be my choice.
Sadly, I'd have to fork out 54 €, shipping included.

The Moonscape is lovely and very reasonably priced, but the shipping costs are awful: 20 € scuttle, 30 € shipping.

Those are very nice, but I'm more inclined towards scuttles. The turkish bowl would be a way to keep going, for now, without spending dozens of bucks.

The Steve Woodhead scuttle I have linked earlier (this one), in response to Seveneighth's comment, is very appealing!

That's the feeling I aim to try!

Yup, that's the solution I'll pick if I can't find a reasonably priced scuttle here in Europe.

I guess the same applies to turkish bowls, that are way cheaper and have that exotic look, almost lovecraftian.

Ouch!

Sadly, the shipping costs would inflate that price very noticeably.

I can totally relate!

Ahahah, lol!

They're very nice indeed!

Yes, the PAA shatterproof scuttle is one of the scuttles I'm considering, and it's in the poll options. Sadly, the lathering inner bowl is quite small. The Moonscape version is ceramic but a little larger, and apparently that hits the right spot.
My point was not to get the actual scuttle linked. I bought one similar to that from a local pottery. I also bought a bowl with a textured inside from another potter. My point is that they seem to be common - at least so here in the UK. I would recommend looking for a local artisan near to you, and seeing what they have.

And I don't worry about inadvertently knocking the scuttle off my bathroom counter and watching it shatter on the floor. Very easy to clean, also.

These are the two main reasons why I'm considering that polypropylene scuttle.
Alas, many fellow shavers say that the inner bowl is way too small to bowl lather comfortably.

My point was not to get the actual scuttle linked. [...] I would recommend looking for a local artisan near to you, and seeing what they have.

Duly noted, sir: I'm going to pay a visit to a couple of nearby shops in the next few days.
I'm goint to haunt the s-cuttle out of them, actually.

I suggest you look in your local antique and thrift shops! You may find classic OS mugs, other ‘shaving mugs’ or bowls that can be repurposed to meet your needs.

Top Bottom