What's new

need ideas. . . adding texture to stainless steel shaving bowl?

I have a flat-bottomed, polished stainless steel bowl that I like for lathering.

Everyone says that a textured surface works better than a polished surface to create lather. Here are some techniques I'm mulling over and would like your opinions please:

1)sandblasting or electro-etching...easy, cute, but I'm not sure if it would create a worthwhile difference in texture for lathering purposes

2)doodling with a Dremel, either with a pointed stone or cut-off disk

3)round off a bolt and try to peen the bottom surface...though it is thick, and I'm not certain I could make sufficiently deep dents

4)using a 1/2" cold chisel just to the flat bottom surface...probably will look awful
If you have other ideas, or if you think the benefit to be too minimal to be worthwhile, please let me know!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Glue some quarters in it. Some guys here swear by it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1)sandblasting or electro-etching...easy, cute, but I'm not sure if it would create a worthwhile difference in texture for lathering purposes

2)doodling with a Dremel, either with a pointed stone or cut-off disk​
I think either of those options would just fray the knot and make it harder to clean out the bowl.
You want larger, rounded, features.

Try something like a bolt in a bench vise, with a polished head. Wherever you want a dimple on the inside, position the bowl upside down on the bolt head and whack the outside of the bowl with a rubber mallet.
For bumps on the inside, position the bowl right side up and whack the inside with a rubber mallet.
For long bumps or grooves, try the pointy end of a railroad spike that has been blunted and polished, instead of the bolt head.

Another option - put the bowl on a canvas or leather sandbag, or a thick rubber pad, and beat on the inside with a ball-peen hammer, but it would be harder to control the pattern.

Experiment with a small second-hand prep bowl.

Thanks for the replies guys.

global_dev, KeenDogg, and Macfrommichigan,
I have not eliminated the idea of gluing items to the bottom of the dish, but would rather try the metal texturing route first.​

I think either of those options would just fray the knot...

Interesting point, I hadn't considered that. For the moment I just use an inexpensive (though good!) Omega boar so it wouldn't be too much of an issue. If ever I venture into the expensive brush world, I wouldn't want to wear them out too rapidly. Making sure there are no sharp edges to the "Dremelling" and making sure the design has plenty of polished steel between the design might alleviate this issue (I'm thinking of just an "X" across the bottom with each arm maybe 3/8" wide, the rest would remain polished)​

...you want a dimple on the inside...For bumps on the inside...

Is there a clear favorite between the two or is it more YMMV?​

I have two stainless steel bowls. I bought one for 39p ($0.50) quite recently, and when I got home I realised I already had an almost identical one. But it made me think that perhaps I could use one to experiment with roughing up the surface. I concluded that the safest way was either hammering, like the Turkish style bowls or gluing a coin or coins to the inside at the bottom. I didn't do either as I am not convinced the gain would be significant. Maybe I will just be slightly more vigorous when lathering to compensate for the smooth interior surface.

I use smooth bowls often; I don't see a problem with them. If it's a nice bowl just use it. If you want a textured bowl, buy one and then you'll have two.

I have a skuttle with ribs on the bottom. I recently got an Aesop bowl which is smooth. I think I like the consistency of the smooth bowl lather better. So, I say leave it how it is.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have a skuttle with ribs on the bottom. I recently got an Aesop bowl which is smooth. I think I like the consistency of the smooth bowl lather better. So, I say leave it how it is.

Something to this.

I took one of those .99 salsa bowls a few years ago, and dremeled a hundred dimples ... Found little difference. And, it got soap caught in all the holes. Impossible to clean; who knows if it'd mold.

AA

I've used smooth bowls with a mirror finish and ridged bowls too. I never saw any difference. You might want to try out a cheap, ridged bowl. Or try the trick of dripping some coins in your current bowl and see if it works better for you.

glue gun some glue nubs to inner surface?
I tried this with a glass bowl and the hot glue strips came off after a couple of uses. I didn't get around to trying it but wondered if a ridgid silicone caulk or sealant might have worked better.

Glue some quarters in it. Some guys here swear by it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I've glued coins in a couple of my bowls and a little smooth stone cabochon in another and it does seem to speed how quickly I get a nice lather.

For bumps on the inside, position the bowl right side up and whack the inside with a rubber mallet.
For long bumps or grooves, try the pointy end of a railroad spike that has been blunted and polished, instead of the bolt head.
If you wanted something permanent I think this is probably the best idea. In the absence of a railroad spike a mason's chisel would work or even a cold chisel thats seen a bit of wear. Wouldn't use a wood chisel as it would be too sharp.

Is there a clear favorite between the two or is it more YMMV?
My thought would be you want something thats proud of the rest of the surface. If its recessed its going to get clogged with shmoo and making the bowl a PITA to clean.

Thank-you all for your replies.

I was quite surprised at the number of guys who said they actually preferred the consistency of their lather when made in a smooth bowl, and the number of guys who didn't see any difference. It seems I mistakenly believed that there was a consensus that textured bowls were vastly superior.

Another thing that seems to be that emerging from this thread is that a certain size of bumps and ridges are required, and that the small variety produce negligible results.

Humm.....

Top Bottom