What's new

Teapot quandary

I know this is an odd topic, but what the heck. The last 3 teapots I have owned do not pour without some of the tea running down the outside of the spout. I have tried every method to pour I can think of and still the problem persists.

I have been told that I need yet another teapot, as there are design flaws in the ones I have tried. To my surprise I found that this is a sore spot with many tea drinkers. I even found mention of a teapot professor who has studied the problem. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/227572.stm

And that a young woman has acquired a patent for a dripless teapot. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/231020.stm

All that being said, I know there are old designs that don't drip or that drip minimally. So can you recommend a large-ish teapot that doesn't drip? Probably 40 oz or a bit more. Traditional designs preferred, but all comers will be considered.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Move to The Cafe'''', where some of our knowledgeable visitors from Tea Chat can more easily find this thread.

Not pretty or elegant, but a 1-1/2" section of diagonally cut clear plastic tubing (like for fish tanks/plumbing) works wonders for that problem.

I find that the more up the spout points, the worse the dribble.

The best pour I've found is from the kind you see in Vietnamese Pho shops in Ottawa.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N

Very little drip.

I think the worst drips happen when the pot is full and the tea is trying to pour out of an upwards facing spout, especially one with a thick ceramic spout. Try filling a tumbler full of water and pouring it off into a small cup. Splish splash. Half full, the pour is easier. This is not the design of the cup, but the angle at which the pour occurs.

I wish I could offer a suggestion Mike, The only western style pot I have is a vintage Hall and it does not drip, Perhaps stop by a tea shop and try a few? Good luck brother!

I find that the more up the spout points, the worse the dribble.

The best pour I've found is from the kind you see in Vietnamese Pho shops in Ottawa.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N

Very little drip.

I think the worst drips happen when the pot is full and the tea is trying to pour out of an upwards facing spout, especially one with a thick ceramic spout. Try filling a tumbler full of water and pouring it off into a small cup. Splish splash. Half full, the pour is easier. This is not the design of the cup, but the angle at which the pour occurs.

+1

The easiest way is to get a larger teapot than you need, and only fill it halfway or so.

That or use one of these, and live with the spills (not the severed arm, the table):
proxy.php

Thanks for the input everyone. I thought some of our UK members would have a recommendation.

Jim I see that Hall still makes a few that might fit the bill. I was hoping to find a bit larger pot for the reason mentioned in the other posts about filling it less than needed to steepen the angle on the spout so that there would be less likelihood of the tea running down the spout.

I had not considered the Chinese or Japanese pots. I can see that this might be a can of worms I am opening.

One's I have considered so far are made by Denby, Burliegh and the traditional Brown Betty.

Recommendations on any particular pot will certainly be considered. No drippers though.

The Chatsford pots I have (which sit gathering dust now that I drink 99.9% pu'er tea) performed well without dripping.

The only time I have a problem with dribbles is when tea leaves are clogging the spout. Is that what's happening to you? Some pots were designed with only tea bags in mind.

The only time I have a problem with dribbles is when tea leaves are clogging the spout. Is that what's happening to you? Some pots were designed with only tea bags in mind.

I don't think so as it does'nt have the strainer holes, some of the leaves just pass through. I have this pot on order. It is by Denby and has been out of production since 05. NOS.

Very cool, Mike. Looks like an retro style coffee pot. I like it.

It does sort of look like a coffee pot. They call it a Pullman style. Owed I think to it's wider base and tapered shape which would make it more stable in a railway Pullman car.

Got it yesterday and it does not drip, so I am happy.

Thing is, I found another pot I like and ordered it as well.....:rolleyes:

It does sort of look like a coffee pot. They call it a Pullman style. Owed I think to it's wider base and tapered shape which would make it more stable in a railway Pullman car.

Got it yesterday and it does not drip, so I am happy.

Thing is, I found another pot I like and ordered it as well.....:rolleyes:

Oh thats not good...:tongue_sm

Top Bottom