What's new

Hey, Dude! Just saw The Big Lebowski

As I said.. I tried three times to watch it to finally make it to the end... my kids watched it with me on that last time as they heard the hype about it too.

They simply looked at me, said "that's it?... we wasted 2 hours on this?"

So three times, and it didn't grow on me, and I still see it as a stoner boring movie... (which so many ranted about needing to be stoned to "get" it, something that I just don't care to do).

It just reminds me of a pretentious foreign film that has people just sitting and talking about nothing worth while... except it's placed in a white trash/hick scenario.

Well, that's like a bummer, man.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I broke down and rented/watched "The Big Lebowski" for the first time yesterday in response to this thread. Some funny lines, but I wasn't Bowled Over by it :lol:

If you ever see the TV edit, when Walter is smashing the Corvette the quote becomes "This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps."

Donny was a good bowler, and a good man. He was one of us. He was a man who loved the outdoors... and bowling, and as a surfer he explored the beaches of Southern California, from La Jolla to Leo Carrillo and... up to... Pismo. He died, like so many young men of his generation, he died before his time. In your wisdom, Lord, you took him, as you took so many bright flowering young men at Khe Sanh, at Langdok, at Hill 364. These young men gave their lives. And so would Donny. Donny, who loved bowling. And so, Theodore Donald Karabotsos, in accordance with what we think your dying wishes might well have been, we commit your final mortal remains to the bosom of the Pacific Ocean, which you loved so well. Good night, sweet prince.
One of my favorite scenes, there's many, but this one especially.

I didn't get this movie. My favorite part was not even in the movie, but rather when they dubbed it for network television. The Ferrari scene became "This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!". Such a bad dub, it makes me laugh yet the original did not.

Ive never seen the movie, always wanted too but its one of those that I just never get around to seeing.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I didn't get this movie. My favorite part was not even in the movie, but rather when they dubbed it for network television. The Ferrari scene became "This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!". Such a bad dub, it makes me laugh yet the original did not.

Your comment brought back a good memory. I was in Cuba in 1997 and went to the movies and saw a Mexican dubbed version of Pulp Fiction. In the diner scene, where Jules tells the robbers to be cool like Fonzie, in the dubbed version, he said to be cool like Columbo. Apparently Peter Falk is a badass in Mexico. ;)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Ooooh, that is where that comes from. Someone has that as a sig line.

"He's a Nihlist." "Ahh. Must be exhausting..."

"Nice Marmot..."

One of my favorites. I keep two purchased movies on my tablet for those times when I'm stuck in an airport, on a plane, etc. in addition to whatever recent rental I have come and go. One of the purchased, always there movies is "The Big Lebowski" (along with the Guy Ritchie masterpiece "Snatch").

A little trivia-the blonde Nihlist ACTUALLY missing her toe and eating Lingonberry Pancakes is Aimee Mann, one of my favorite solo artists and the blonde from the '80's band 'Til Tuesday. Smoky, the long haired bowler instructed by the Colt 1911 waving Walter to "MARK IT ZERO!" is Jimmy Dale Gilmore from the group The Flatlanders (along with Joe Ely).

This hangs proudly in my office and generates a lot of smiles from visitors...

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom