What's new

Worst scent in shaving soap?

I'm part of the minority that actually likes the smell of Arko I guess :lol:

For me the worst would be either Cella or most Sandalwood scented soaps. Cella just smells like that pink hand soap they used to use in schools. It smells good for a while but after 3-4 days of it I feel like vomiting. Wonderful performer though.

As for sandalwood, I've just never really liked the smell of it. Feels like I'm shaving with dollar store incense.

Apparently, I am odd. I actually quite like the soapy smell of Arko and use it every day. And, the only cream I own is TOBS Avocado, which smells great - like cool cucumbers and spring. I even liked Tabac, Speick and La Toja before I PIFed them to friends.

However, I dislike anything rose, lavender or cloyingly sweet. In particular, I don't care what people say about the soothing "aromatherapy" benefits of lavender, I find it to be appalling.

Last edited:
Speick, something off on the scent.
Tabac & Arko are great imo, great that there are options for different preferences.

it amazes me that majority of these soaps that are voted worst scents are the ones that have high review ratings in online shaving shops. ymmv couldn't be more accurate.

i love the smell of mwf & arko.

I like the scent of Arko as well. And there is no "worst scent"; we all have different noses.

I cannot stand Cella, while many others love it. Does that make it a bad or good scent?

I don't think there is a "worst" scent...every scent that I dislike is a favorite of many around here. But for me...

I have a hard time with Cella. Something about the marzipan smell lingering on my face for hours. (Same is true for me and Stirling Almond Cream or Coate's Almond.) All are great performers, however.

A close second is most bay rum scents. I've tried Captain's Choice, Stirling, and LA Shaving Soap, but PIFed all of them after a use or two. I think I need to purchase a high quality rum to help erase bad rum memories from long ago and then give it another try.

I can't stand Cella either. It has that coconut/almond scent and I swear I can pickup some cow fat smell as well. I think they overloaded the tallow to make for an extra slick yet greasy shave.

I love the smell of Cella and MWF not a fan of Arko at all, I wouldn't call it urinal puck but I would say it's a bad citrus. All of these are great soaps so not giving up on Arko just because of the smell.

Van der Hagen Luxury. Everyone extolls the virtues of VdH Luxury over Select/Deluxe, but I can't get past the smell of my mom's makeup when I was a child. I used it once and put it aside...I might eventually melt it and either mix it with another soap or add a scent.

And how about not a bad scent, but a disappointing one? Speick soap stick. I was expecting a really unique, natural, non-floral, almost medicinal plant smell that might confuse a narcotics officer. Instead it turned out to be in the same family as Palmolive shave stick or common 1980's perfumed body soaps (Coast, Irish Spring, etc). It's not a turn-off but I was expecting a scent that I wouldn't be able to resist going back to.

Part of what makes wet shaving so enjoyable for me is the olfactory experience, so despite its performance, I can't stand MWF simply because it has no real scent.

I'm not a huge fan of bay rum. I bought a puck of it from Stirling and it came with a sample of grapefruit and I find myself reaching for that more than the bay rum. It's just such a strong thick spicy scent, I enjoy more lighter fresh scents.

As each of us will register scent differently, it's going to be really difficult to really get a sense of the "worst scent", however, the ones I dislike the most are Tabac and B&M Roam. I wanted to like the Roam, based on the description, but... it didn't come off as described to me.

Tabac for me. This soap is a truly wonderful performer, but has an awful scent that I simply cannot stand. Obviously, IMHO.
Heretic! :behead:

Just kidding! Tabac's an acquired taste I know…and a taste I know I have very much acquired!

Meanwhile, worst thing to my nose so far has easily been Cyril R Salter French Vetiver. I love nothing more than Vetiver scents when the weather turns warmer, hence why I initially bought this, but the French obviously harvest a very, very different form of vetiver. To be fair it lathers like nobody else's business - well maybe not as good as Tabac but hey - so I think keeping it French it'd be better marketed as eau de la broche d'un clochard

Top Bottom