What's new

Worst scent in shaving soap?

The closer to "common" soap the scent is, the better for me. My favourite fragrances right now are those of VDH Select and Deluxe, and MWF as well. I have not smelt Arko yet but have ordered a tub, and i am sure i will like it. I shave before showering, so its really about the soap's performance. For fragrance, i have lots of the splash/spray-on kind.

For me it would have to be TOBS Rose. Not because I can't stand the smell but rather because it has no smell at all to me even when my sinuses aren't completely blocked. As far as Arko goes I thought it worked brilliantly as a bug repellent. Every time I used it I would not get bit up.

Godrej Shaving Round.

First sniff was decent. Smelled stereotypically of a mall store selling swords and incense and such, a mildly interesting smell. First shave was good and consistent with that. Second shave, I soaked it and face-loaded like a stick and it turned to janitor's closet toilet bowl cleaner scent.

I dislike most "Barbershop" scents. Mike's barbershop & Strop Shoppe, to name a couple. To me, they smell like AXE body spray.

I literally have nightmares about the time I brought a puck of English Fern into my shave den. I almost puked. I couldn't sell it fast enough.

Like the smell on this one (have the matching cologne). Sadly, got the least liked formulation performance wise.

Some do like these but everyone's nose is a bit different. I've tried so many bad soaps that I can't even remember half of them. These are the ones I can remember at the moment.

Barrister & Mann's Roam - to me this one smells just like an ashtray. The description on their site is so nice and makes me want to buy the soap, but that's not what I get from it at all. I get the scent of the overstuffed ashtray, that couldn't possibly hold another cigarette butt, like the one in my mom's station wagon when we were kids. When lathering the smell weakens to that of a half full ashtray. It's a great performing soap and the owner Will is a really nice guy. I do enjoy some of their other scents like Nocturne and Bay Rum so this one just isn't a good fit for me.

Jabonman's Ylang Ylang Patchouli Orange - smells like an orange air freshener that was soaked in cat urine. The Patchouli in this one apparently takes a bad turn for me and turns into an overpowering cat urine smell. Not good at all. If I didn't trust the person I got the sample from I would have written it off as tainted and pitched it in the trash immediately without even lathering it. I tried it for several days hoping that the scent would change or that more of the orange scent would surface but no such luck. I wondered if I smelled like urine to others that got close enough to me to catch the scent as it stuck around for a couple hours after each use. Performance was about average so I didn't bother trying any of their other scents.

Saint Charles Shave Bacon - c'mon really SCS? Why even make this one? It smells absolutely terrible. It smells worse then the dog's bacon scented bone that I bought at WalMart for four bucks. I couldn't get past the smell to even lather this soap it was so bad. There's no way I'd even put my brush to this one in fear that the stench wouldn't come out of the brush. I'd definitely go back to canned goo before I'd use this soap. Don't do it, just don't. I've smelled some of their other soaps and they smell great. I suspect that this one might have been a special request or some novelty type experiment at one time.

Tabac - I don't care for the scent of this one either. It's much better than those above though. I do catch the powder note and want to like it but it just smells like something an old man should be using. It reminds me of my old neighbor who used to smoke cigars all day. A really nice guy who was like a grandfather to me but I don't want to smell like him. Performance on this one is average to maybe slightly above. I have some Irisch Moos that I enjoy which is this soap in a different scent that smells like Irish Spring soap.

Arko - great performance but it has a cheap fake lemon smell that isn't my favorite by any means, but I'd happily take it over the soaps above any day. The performance of this one is excellent, even good enough to overlook the cheap fake lemon scent.

Last edited:
Beer Soap Brew Works scents "puzzle" me. Havana esp but they all have that dank Havana undertone/basenote with a top note added it seems. (Excellent performance by the way...slick/cushion dept)

I noticed that cigar funk your talking about in the Habana soap, but the others I have I don't detect it at all. Either way it is a good slick soap

Last edited:
Barrister & Mann ROAM. I'd describe it as what John Wayne's horses arse might smell like after a week of hard riding while John smoked a case of cheap cigars. It is truly Funktastically horrible!!

Arko. Though I'd read quite a bit on how polarizing the scent was, I was still surprised by how pungent I found it when I first smelled it.

Some do like these but everyone's nose is a bit different. I've tried so many bad soaps that I can't even remember half of them. These are the ones I can remember at the moment.

Barrister & Mann's Roam - to me this one smells just like an ashtray. The description on their site is so nice and makes me want to buy the soap, but that's not what I get from it at all. I get the scent of the overstuffed ashtray, that couldn't possibly hold another cigarette butt, like the one in my mom's station wagon when we were kids. When lathering the smell weakens to that of a half full ashtray. It's a great performing soap and the owner Will is a really nice guy. I do enjoy some of their other scents like Nocturne and Bay Rum so this one just isn't a good fit for me.

Jabonman's Ylang Ylang Patchouli Orange - smells like an orange air freshener that was soaked in cat urine. The Patchouli in this one apparently takes a bad turn for me and turns into an overpowering cat urine smell. Not good at all. If I didn't trust the person I got the sample from I would have written it off as tainted and pitched it in the trash immediately without even lathering it. I tried it for several days hoping that the scent would change or that more of the orange scent would surface but no such luck. I wondered if I smelled like urine to others that got close enough to me to catch the scent as it stuck around for a couple hours after each use. Performance was about average so I didn't bother trying any of their other scents.

Saint Charles Shave Bacon - c'mon really SCS? Why even make this one? It smells absolutely terrible. It smells worse then the dog's bacon scented bone that I bought at WalMart for four bucks. I couldn't get past the smell to even lather this soap it was so bad. There's no way I'd even put my brush to this one in fear that the stench wouldn't come out of the brush. I'd definitely go back to canned goo before I'd use this soap. Don't do it, just don't. I've smelled some of their other soaps and they smell great. I suspect that this one might have been a special request or some novelty type experiment at one time.

Tabac - I don't care for the scent of this one either. It's much better than those above though. I do catch the powder note and want to like it but it just smells like something an old man should be using. It reminds me of my old neighbor who used to smoke cigars all day. A really nice guy who was like a grandfather to me but I don't want to smell like him. Performance on this one is average to maybe slightly above. I have some Irisch Moos that I enjoy which is this soap in a different scent that smells like Irish Spring soap.

Arko - great performance but it has a cheap fake lemon smell that isn't my favorite by any means, but I'd happily take it over the soaps above any day. The performance of this one is excellent, even good enough to overlook the cheap fake lemon scent.

LMAO :lol:

Arko. Though I'd read quite a bit on how polarizing the scent was, I was still surprised by how pungent I found it when I first smelled it.
Tabac is awful initially, but it has character and depth. Arko starts out bad, and just gets worse.

Williams mug soap, BSBC Bearded Lady and Palmira Albus are, off the top of my head, probably the three scents I dislike more at the moment.

It used to be HTGAM Gondolier, but an even worse one is the experiment gone terribly wrong: Stirling Mogadishu - horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proraso white. It's supposed to smell of green tea and oatmeal. I love the green proraso, but I just don't get how the white can possibly smell of green tea and/or oatmeal to anyone.

Top Bottom