What's new

Williams Institute for Shaving Excellence (WISE)

Wow, very nice thread opener indeed TheVez2. Never tried Williams yet but you WISE guys are very convincing, perhaps I will try one day.

Soaking the puck well, like overnight, takes away the frustration of starting a new puck.

+1 Soaking the puck overnight gets it going well enough. Using the puck daily keeps it going because you keep rehydrating the puck.

The first puck I met success with I kept stored in Pyrex Snapware. The Snapware is sealed well enough to keep moisture in.

I like to build lather in an apothecary mug but the puck tends to dry out.

I will go back to the Snapware on the next puck just to load the brush and then face lather.

The WISE people will like this: Williams Mug Soap trumps Valobra Almond. Cause: User (me) developed a sensitivity to the Almond scent used in the Valobra Almond soap. Solution: Stop using Valobra Almond and use more Williams Mug Soap.:001_smile

Used my Vintage Williams Barber's Bar today fur the first time. I soaked it last night and made a test lathering the Mug it came in just to get rid of any residual funk that accumulated over the many years it sat collecting dust and grime. Soaked this morning and loaded onto my Omega 10066 Boar. I proceeded to face lather after losing for 15 or 20 seconds. The lather was amazing. The same slickness as modern Williams but it is easier to lather. Copious lather and adding a little water the lather is dropping off the brush into the sink. My new LC with a new Astra SP have me a BBS shave. Vintage Williams is one of the easiest soaps to lather in my den. Performance is the same as modern Williams. I just purchased the Lat pick of vintage Williams at the store I found it at. I will put this soap in my rotation and will be using it for years to come.

Used my Vintage Williams Barber's Bar today fur the first time. I soaked it last night and made a test lathering the Mug it came in just to get rid of any residual funk that accumulated over the many years it sat collecting dust and grime. Soaked this morning and loaded onto my Omega 10066 Boar. I proceeded to face lather after losing for 15 or 20 seconds. The lather was amazing. The same slickness as modern Williams but it is easier to lather. Copious lather and adding a little water the lather is dropping off the brush into the sink. My new LC with a new Astra SP have me a BBS shave. Vintage Williams is one of the easiest soaps to lather in my den. Performance is the same as modern Williams. I just purchased the Lat pick of vintage Williams at the store I found it at. I will put this soap in my rotation and will be using it for years to come.

Oh the suspense! I want to see the results in picture form! Every time I am on this thread I stop and take a look at your vintage puck...I always wondered what it would produce.

I guess my question is, when did they discontinue production of Williams Barber bar soap?

I have seen Williams ads dating back to 1899 and it just says "Williams Shaving Soap." They may have just changed the name of the product. Or, maybe what they sold to barber supply shops was different. I don't know, to answer your question.

Williams + a Marvy Mug is my travel setup. I love Williams but I'm afraid that the end is nigh- it has gone from being in every grocery store and pharmacy to gone in about 3 months. Where are you guys getting your williams from?

Williams + a Marvy Mug is my travel setup. I love Williams but I'm afraid that the end is nigh- it has gone from being in every grocery store and pharmacy to gone in about 3 months. Where are you guys getting your williams from?

The last I bought from Amazon.

There are two regional grocery chains around me that have it: Price Chopper and Market Basket. I haven't been in either one in a couple weeks but I've definitely seen it in both more recently than 3 months.

Top Bottom