What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Montale Jasmin Full - I'm thrifty with what little I have left of my decant, and it always calls my name louder and louder until I wear it. Feminine, maybe. I'd love to smell this on my wife, but until then I'll enjoy every drop of it that I wear.

Pretty strong and indolic white floral jasmine with evident honeysuckle and orange blossom. Think a windy spring day on a neighborhood street when all the tree blossoms are blowing around. That's what this stuff reminds me of, only very in your face.

This sounds amazing! I will have to source a sample...

Opus VI
by Amouage

sichuan pepper, frankincense, st. thomas bay, periploca, cypriol, patchouli, ambranum, Z11, sandalwood, cistus

Some of these notes I had to look up, like cypriol, periploca, and Z11. Cypriol is another name for nagarmotha and similar to vetiver, the roots are used in agarbatti incense. In fact, some cypriol oils also contain some percentage of vetiver. My guess is that cypriol must have smoky/woody notes. Ambranum is a relatively new synthetic amber with clear amber notes and hints of balsam. Cistus, or cistus labdanum, also known as rockrose, is a common ingredient in perfumes, and gives an herbal/floral animalic note. To me it's a floral base note and one of my favorites, very unique. From what I've read, periploca, also known as milk broom or silk vine, can appeal to some noses but repel others - a daring ingredient to use in perfumery - and can smell like anything from indolic jasmine to milky almond. Finally, Z11 is a rather new synthetic ingredient with dry woody notes, something that I have no experience with, to my knowledge. All combined, this scent is a bond-dry amber with very juicy resinous incense notes and a slightly floral but mostly woody note weaving its way through it. I've been asking myself all day if I like it and when I ask I don't know the answer but when I'm not thinking about it I'm thoroughly enjoying. In a way, it's like a drier - much drier - version of Bois d'Armenie. At least that's what comes to mind, for some reason.

Given that this perfume is about fragrmented memories built around amber and incense, I thought I would share Gayle Chong Kwan's Manipulated Memory Tasting Machine:

proxy.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom