What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

Lagerfeld

Mazzolari Patchouli--the recent posts on this one are exactly right. It is a beauty. Thug-like Lui's beautiful and intoxicating sister (although perfect scent for a man (or a woman, methinks)). I do not begin to understand what scents would help one "get over" with a woman. But if I were a woman--pretty remote idea, and a scary thought I am sure for anyone who knows me, and for me)--I think this would be one that enhanced the appeal of a guy to me!

(Of course, as I always say, in order to attract women, edts are always best worn with handsome looks, good grooming, tallness, a winning smile, nice clothes, a good and easy sense of humor, confidence (and perhaps a certain arrogance), an interesting gig, a nice car, a killer crib, a sophisticated palate, a broad and deep knowledge of popular and classic culture, and piles and piles of money! It does not hurt to have whichever woman you are trying to impress see you with beautiful women, who obviously adore you, too. The last point may be the most important!)

Love MPG Racine!

Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau

proxy.php

Not really a fan of this rose scent. My second wearing and I just much prefer the darker rose's of DC, 88, and Black auod.

(Of course, as I always say, in order to attract women, edts are always best worn with handsome looks, good grooming, tallness, a winning smile, nice clothes, a good and easy sense of humor, confidence (and perhaps a certain arrogance), an interesting gig, a nice car, a killer crib, a sophisticated palate, a broad and deep knowledge of popular and classic culture, and piles and piles of money! It does not hurt to have whichever woman you are trying to impress see you with beautiful women, who obviously adore you, too. The last point may be the most important!)

Now I know where I went wrong!

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui

Yes! This is an overlooked classic from the 80's that I absolutely love. The sandalwood is phenomenal and the overall effect is basically a chypre with an oriental haze.

ProfumumArso​

Thoughts Josh? I love it. At first the smoke is a bit thick but then I remind myself that it is called Arso (Arson) for a reason. OK, not really "arson" but "fire," and where's there's fire there's smoke. Er, something like that.

Today, another Patou. What'd you think I was going to wear. Tomorrow another one, too. Today, though, is Normandie, which smells fantastic. I was surprised to learn that this one is named after the SS Normandie, an ocean cruiseliner that featured lavish art deco design and was commemorated by this fragrance. (I'm always intrigued by perfumes that are designed to commemorate something: Lubin's Nuit de Longchamp, for example, as well as the aforementioned l'Heure Attendue, and now this). I incorrectly assumed that this was to evoke aromas of Normandy, whatever that is (I haven't been there and assumed lavender, I don't know why). This is superb all the same. The opening is quite animalic - beastly even - and reminded me of horses (I used to ride and groom horses). It turns into an elegant oriental with faint woody notes and on occasion I swear I smell shaving cream, the canned foam kind.

Unfortunately, this doesn't smell to me like an elegant art deco cruiseliner but how would I know what that smells like? But I do think of Horse Latitudes by the Doors except that Normandie doesn't smell nearly as grim. Instead, it smells like the horses that stayed on board and made it to their destination alive and healthy:

When the still sea conspires an armor
And her sullen and aborted
Currents breed tiny monsters
True sailing is dead
Awkward instant
And the first animal is jettisoned
Legs furiously pumping
Their stiff green gallop
And heads bob up
Poise
Delicate
Pause
Consent
In mute nostril agony
Carefully refined
And sealed over

"Horse Latitudes"-- I actually recite that all the time--particularly when sailing!

The first four lines are said to be from Nostradamous' "Centuries."

Today, another Patou. What'd you think I was going to wear. Tomorrow another one, too. Today, though, is Normandie, which smells fantastic. I was surprised to learn that this one is named after the SS Normandie, an ocean cruiseliner that featured lavish art deco design and was commemorated by this fragrance. (I'm always intrigued by perfumes that are designed to commemorate something: Lubin's Nuit de Longchamp, for example, as well as the aforementioned l'Heure Attendue, and now this). I incorrectly assumed that this was to evoke aromas of Normandy, whatever that is (I haven't been there and assumed lavender, I don't know why). This is superb all the same. The opening is quite animalic - beastly even - and reminded me of horses (I used to ride and groom horses). It turns into an elegant oriental with faint woody notes and on occasion I swear I smell shaving cream, the canned foam kind.

Unfortunately, this doesn't smell to me like an elegant art deco cruiseliner but how would I know what that smells like? But I do think of Horse Latitudes by the Doors except that Normandie doesn't smell nearly as grim. Instead, it smells like the horses that stayed on board and made it to their destination alive and healthy:

When the still sea conspires an armor
And her sullen and aborted
Currents breed tiny monsters
True sailing is dead
Awkward instant
And the first animal is jettisoned
Legs furiously pumping
Their stiff green gallop
And heads bob up
Poise
Delicate
Pause
Consent
In mute nostril agony
Carefully refined
And sealed over

Chris, again another great write up!

Now I know where I went wrong!

Yes! This is an overlooked classic from the 80's that I absolutely love. The sandalwood is phenomenal and the overall effect is basically a chypre with an oriental haze.

Thoughts Josh? I love it. At first the smoke is a bit thick but then I remind myself that it is called Arso (Arson) for a reason. OK, not really "arson" but "fire," and where's there's fire there's smoke. Er, something like that.

I've been utterly astounded with this one, it's fantastic! Initially i'd like to say how simple it is, but i think the better term would be well blended, it really wears very well and surprisingly easily considering the smoke and leather.
Im glad you mention Arson, i'd thought about the name and hadn't come to any conclusions. Contrasting what im hearing you say however, i do seem to be getting more leather than smoke.

10/10!

Façonnable EDT
proxy.php

Nice melange of mint, herbals, florals, against a woody base. Feels very springlike to me. Probably a bit too assertive for office wear, but I'm in a "don't give a damn" mood today, so they'll have to deal with it! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom