What's new

Cobra Classic - a Great Mistery ( are people ashamed to admit they burned 125$) ?

Hi all !

It has been a long time I wanted to buy Cobra Classic. I currently own Merkur Futur and Merkur Slant ( I use both with Feather blades ) and I was wondering if Cobra Classic with Feather Professional would be the next notch or few notches above them in term of closeness.

What's really surprised me that I can't find a lot of info about this razor. I am surprised nobody published anything on Safety Razor forum. It has been out of stock for a long time and recently returned, so I guess there is a demand and few people bought it but silence is roaming. Are people disappointed and ashamed to admit they wasted 125$ on it, since it's really not something special. Or it's so special that people became speechless after they shave with it, forget friends and family and even stop participating in the forum :)

Somebody from the lucky owner, please, respond

Yeah, I've been curious about it as well.

$125 is not that much for a razor (a Vision is close to that price...and most straights are much more expensive)......as long as the thing shaves well.

Initial reports were all positive, but then the furor died down. I guess it could be because the razors weren't easily available.

The good sign is that they aren't seen on BST much....which means the original owners are holding onto them.

Just wanted to add, I have not tried this razor (and likely never will), but it is considered to be madly aggressive, and your choices for blades are also pretty limited.

Should Feather stop making the blades this razor uses, or if they were no longer available in the states, your razor would effectively be useless.

Without having actually tried the razor, I would place my recommendation on a vintage Schick Injector instead, as some of them are quite aggressive, and of course they are far less costly.

Michigan, I saw the reviews. but what surprised me that nobody raved about it on the forum. I can see a tons of messages like " Slant, wow" , "First shave with Vision", "Fatboy rules", Futur took me apart" etc, etc about pretty much every razor. Nothing about Cobra, while I guess it might be tens of people who purchased it. Isn'y it fishy ?

Michigan, I saw the reviews. but what surprised me that nobody raved about it on the forum. I can see a lot of messages like " Slant, wow" , "First shave with Vision", "Fatboy rules" etc, etc about pretty much every blade. Nothing about Cobra, while I guess it might be tens of people who purchased it. Isn'y it fishy ?

No, it just means that not a lot of people bought it and the majority still give out the usual (and more available) recommendations for aggressive shaves.

Btw, with the cobra, you can't use but the standard Feather Pro blades. The Super and Guard are not usable with this shaver.

After seeing it in person I can tell you it's a waste of money. I agree with the guy (can't remember user name) who said $125 isn't much for a razor considering the cost of some straights. However, you can appreciate the craftmanship of a $125+ straight a lot better than the cobra. In other words, the quality just isn't there. A lot of cheaper DE's have equal or better craftmanship.

Also, as Michigan Lover mentioned, if Feather stops making that specific type of blade then you are screwed.

I have the CC and I don't really see the hype about it being agressive.You have to be careful but this is something you do with everything that is as sharp as a Feather blade .The CC and the Feather Pro are a great combo. As for craftmanship, I am afraid I have to agree with AB.I wish the head was narrower and maybe the handle less slippery but otherwise I am happy with it. 125$? STEEP !!!!

Tempestivo thanks for the input.
Is it MUCH more aggresive then let's say Futur on 6 and/or Slant ? (If you own/owned them and can compare).

I also think that if you use light touch and maintain a proper angle, the gap doesn't matter that much. My first DE was (and it's still my main one) Futur which I use with Feather and it wasn't a bloodbath even on my first shaves couple of years ago. Recently, I also bought Slant BarberPole and all the horror stories about it IMHO is just a crap. I didn't have any problem with it ( in term of closeness I didn't feel any difference from Futur), both are great shavers. So all those tales about faces ripped to bones, river of bloods etc it's just ... tales.

Regarding Feather Professional blades being discontinued, well it's not only for Cobra but also for Feather own No-Sharpen line so I hope they are for a long haul.

Main question is if there is really another notch over Futur/Feather Slant/Feather in term of closeness
(looks like it's really not, unfortunately).

BTW, regarding craft/quality, I saw the razor only on photos, somebody posted few very detailed picks somewhere on the net, and it looks kind of nice.

I am no expert when it comes to shaving but the CC gives a great BB shave IMHO. Having heard all the aggressivity stories about the CC i started with a Pro Guard which was a waste of money and the worst shave ever. The sharper the better. My routine for the CC is a 3 pass using the cutting balm on the last ATG pass.Works like a charm for me. Another thing is that the on their website they claim that the CC will work with the PRO and Pro Light blades but then when I contacted them they told me that the razor should be used with the Pro blades only,a bit confusing.They did replace my Pro Light blades for the Pro but I wish I had known.

Last edited:
I have a Cobra Classic that I purchased over a year ago. Without doubt it provides the closest shave out of my arsenal-too close for comfort though. Maybe it's my poor technique but I always have my worst razor burns and nicks after using and rarely use two days in a row.

I'm a 30+ year weekday shaver and the day after using the CC was the first time I really didn't need to shave. (I did though!) I purchased it because I was into Schick SE's at the time and thought the CC would trump them. It does as far as aggressiveness however funny thing, I never look forward to using it! I much prefer my Paul Revere SE which is milder. Knowing what I know now I would not purchase the CC.

Regarding quality of build, it is a beautiful made in the USA crafted piece and I'd say worth the buck 25 (Especially compared to a Vision). When I purchased mine from West Coast they stated they come in lots of 50, another draw for me I guess in that it was limited AND made in USA. Again, YMMV and I can see why other gents love the CC.

And yes, I am holding onto mine for the duration!

Quite a honest review. I do realize that everybody skin/technique are different but your letter provides an answer on my first question : why no raves.

I do have Schick Injector ( adjustable one - I believe it's M model with the knob 1 to 8) which I sometimes use with Ted Pella and few times I also put a trimmed Feather Professional in it.

But, for some reason, Futur/Feather works better for me, I don't know why may be because I used to Futur weight which do all the job. That's one of the reasons I wanted to try CC , to check if it works better then Injector (I also found trimming Feather Professional a messy affair to say the least)

Looks like I skip on CC. 125$ makes it too much, for half of it I would probably go, out of pure curiosity ( some people in the reviews wrote that in case of CC not only you need not apply any pressure, but actually take weight OFF the razor, have you tried it ?)

Last edited:
I was fortunate enough to pick up a CC on eBay, and it is the only razor I have used since...and I believe it arrived over a month ago. Prior to receiving the CC I was using a PAL adjustable, which provided me with incredibly close shaves. However, I have to give the edge - no pun intended - to the CC. I have read comments by other members that as the Feather Professional blades are thicker than a DE - as are SEs and injector blades - the edge that can be put on them is more lasting and (possibly) sharper. Again, that is just what I have read, but in my experience with SEs, injectors and the CC something rings true regarding the thickness of the steel and the closeness of the shave. I no longer own a Futur or a slant, but I do not recall my face feeling quite as smooth after using them.

As for aggressiveness I, again, think it is primarily a matter of the blade. If you are trimming a Feather Professional to fit in your Schick injector, then you probably have a very good sense how close the CC can shave and how aggressive it may be. (I do not find it overly aggressive.) And yet, shaving with the CC and shaving with a Schick injector are completely different experiences. Sometimes I feel like I am using a disposable cartridge razor when I shave with a Schick due to how light it is. On the flipside, you definitely know you have a razor in your hand when you are holding the CC. It is possibly the heaviest razor I own, and I prefer the feel of it in my hand. And while some may not like the design - and I have my own ideas of how it might be better - I find its simplicity attractive. You are not going to have a spring go out of alignment, or have a plastic handle crack or come unglued. My guess is that it will withstand the test of time...and Feather will keep cranking out the blades. It is definitely a keeper in my eyes and, like SteelCity, I am happy I spent the money. (You can count that as a rave review.) :001_smile

Last edited:
Loving all things SE - I had to see what the Paul Revere razor was - looks neat!

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=125971

I really wanted to like the Paul Revere due to its solid all-metal construction, but every time I looked at it I could not help but think of silverware and food, as my parents had a silverware set that I am almost certain matched that handle. For all I know my dad had one and it doubled as a cheese slicer on our table. :tongue_sm

Hmm...I wonder what the combination of the Paul Revere and the Feather Super Pro will provide.

I have both coming in soon :)

poonjaji, have you ever tried your PAL or Shick with a trimmed down feather? and out of curiosity's sake, how much was the winning bid on the Cobra?

Last edited:
poonjaji, have you ever tried your PAL or Shick with a trimmed down feather? and out of curiosity's sake, how much was the winning bid on the Cobra?

I have never trimmed down a blade down. Given my luck, I would lose a finger or something in the process. As for the eBay purchase, I think it was about $100. I did not realize it at the time, but there were two B&Bers bidding on it and lightening each other's wallet in the processs. I won the razor and the empty wallet contest. :lol:

Top Bottom