What's new

Can you resolve this scenario...

Consider this...

The year, 1958. A businessman is dressed in the finest dark blue, wool suit, styled particularly well for its time. This businessman, in his mid- to late- 50's and at the top of his game, is flying first class aboard Pan Am and traveling to a city noted for its contribution to America's industrial might at that time, be it Detroit, Pittsburgh, Dallas, New York, Chicago... for a conference where he will be an important contributor, as his Forbes 50 company is significant to America's industrial height. His full head of dark silver-gray hair is styled conservatively but has a certain suavity to it, a head ahead of its time. You've never seen this man before, but his iconic bearing in class, style and wealth makes his aspect almost familiar in a deep, archetypal way. He takes his beautiful black leather attaché case and begins placing it in overhead storage. As he does this, his motion and the blue suit moving start to impart an intoxicatingly elegant and high-class scent that so well circumscribes this man and his time. He sits down beside you, and as he motions to the stewardess to get a strong drink appropriate for the time, you get the full emanation of this scent perfectly applied.

In your experience, what cologne is this man wearing?

Last edited:
Revlon launched "That Man" in 1958, so that is a possibility. Alternatively, a true classic such as Tabarome, English Fern or Aqua di Parma.

I'm thinking Old Spice or English Leather ... or if his suit and attache case are from Brooks Brothers, he's probably wearing whatever cologne they sell ... Royalle Spice?

... and the executive is thinking to himself "Thank Goodness, only one more year to go and I can start using Tabac!"

Last edited:
My guess would be Guerlain, Caswell Massey, Yacht Club or a custom blend from C.O. Bigelow.

I'm with O.F.L. on this one. Unless he is a very NY kind of guy and has access to the good stuff he is most likely going to be wearing the finest thing his local, downtown haberdasher sells. So if he is a regional VP from Moline or Utica I think some sort of Caswell-Massey is quite likely.

He is obviously very rich and very influential. Such people do not stoop to purchasing simple stuff found in perfume boutiques set up to please the plebs. He has had a a master perfumer---Guerlain, Creed, perhaps coaxing Beaux out of retirement---personally, from the purchase of the ingredients to the extraction of the fragrant oils to the blending of the final product, create a discreet but powerfully unique fragrance for him, which the world has never smelt before and will never smell hence. The name and composition of that fragrance are shrouded in mystery as both men have agreed to keep it a secret which they will take with them to their graves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom