What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Baker Street Liquid Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Stainless Steel Karve Overlander
Blade: Gillette Nacet (6)
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann Seville
Bowl: The CaYuen Workshop Medium Damascus Shaving Dish
Brush: Maggard's Dark Blue Handle 24mm Titanium Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Unscented Post Shave Balm & Seaforth Black Watch AS
Rating: 10/10 A comfortable efficient 3 pass BBS shave with no touch ups, weepers, cuts or irritation. For prevention I still used an Alum Stick in my problem areas. An excellent shave!

9/10

IMG_6615.jpeg

Fatip Piccolo
Shark stainless
Proraso Green
Viking Revolution badger (my first brush)

1000022491.jpg

I never thought I would say this, but this brush felt prickly for the first time. I've always loved its "scrubbiness," but today it was scratchy..... Maybe my face is growing accustomed to other, softer bristles. Who knows?

I still can't seem to master this Piccolo - I can manage cheeks just fine, but it's a bit harsh on my neck, both WTG and ATG. I had hoped the reliable slickness of Proraso would help, but it still left me feeling a little raw afterwards, even after a cooling Duke Cannon balm.

The bowl, which I really like, is a Dollar Tree travel pet bowl. Great latherability, if that can be considered a word.

Overall, maybe a 6 of 10 because of the rough feel afterwards and some weepers.

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Hardware
RazorKarve Overlander (AL)
BladeGillette Silver Blue (1)
BrushSemogue SOC Boar (Taj)

Software
PreThayer's Lavender
Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap
LatherArko [2]
PostClubman Virgin Islands Bay Rum

Rating
8 / 10

Notes
Cut off the Treet 7 Days Platinum early, although it had plenty of life remaining, in order to try a Silver Blue. Nice blade, delivered a perfectly fine and comfortable shave in the Overlander. Lather with the Arko wasn't quite as good as yesterday — maybe because I didn't soak the puck ahead of time. Should that be a regular part of the routine with Arko?

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Hardware
RazorKarve Overlander (AL)
BladeGillette Silver Blue (1)
BrushSemogue SOC Boar (Taj)

Software
PreThayer's Lavender
Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap
LatherArko [2]
PostClubman Virgin Islands Bay Rum

Rating
8 / 10

Notes
Cut off the Treet 7 Days Platinum early, although it had plenty of life remaining, in order to try a Silver Blue. Nice blade, delivered a perfectly fine and comfortable shave in the Overlander. Lather with the Arko wasn't quite as good as yesterday — maybe because I didn't soak the puck ahead of time. Should that be a regular part of the routine with Arko?

I haven't found a need to soak my Arko (or other soaps). I do load a brush and lather in a separate bowl, however, adding water slowly until I gain the consistency I want. (So, your soaking might help achieve that.)

I haven't found a need to soak my Arko (or other soaps). I do load a brush and lather in a separate bowl, however, adding water slowly until I gain the consistency I want. (So, your soaking might help achieve that.)
Thanks! I don't generally soak my soaps, but I think in this case, having done so on the first shave, I might have ended up loading more product, subconsciously, than I got from a dry puck on the second. I guess it will even out as I dial in my use of this soap.

full

Razor: Gillette Fatboy 1960
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 LE Sovereign
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Soap: A&E Choco Cubano

Pre shave: Kyle's Routine, La Toja 🇪🇸
Aftershave: A&E Choco Cubano

Opened up the Fatboy to 9 for the 2nd pass. I don't usually mess with the setting but gave it a try and it sure made for a closer shave with zero issues.
---
2 pass shave, WTG, XTG -Perfect shave
Rating: 10/10 BBS

Date16.04.2024
366 daily shaves
107/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW LCSilver Star (2)Abe’s Brush Works Big Boy G5C
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (89)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)4.5/10 (Sharpish)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.25/10
(DFS++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. Nice and comfortable shave this morning. No frills no issues.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

20230918_095147.jpg

Razor: G.E. Jones Shake Sharp Mk. II
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Simpson Emperor 3 Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Long Rifle Brown Bess
Aftershave: Long Rifle Brown Bess Shave Tonic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm
Ten.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Hawkins & Brimble Face Wash
- Truefitt & Hill Highgrove Pre-shave Oil
- Phoenix & Beau Iceni Shaving Soap

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Osma Alum Block
- Sukin Blemish Pore Perfecting Toner
- The Ordinary Skin Serum
- Scottish Fine Soaps Thistle and Black Pepper Aftershave Balm
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Steve Woodhead Pottery Suribachi Lather Scuttle
- FaTip Piccolo Gentile
- Gillette Wilkinson Sword India (3)
- Omega 011911 Ivory

Fragrance for the day
L'Occitan by L'Occitane EDT

Rating: 9/10
My third shave with this blade and another pleasant shave.
It was also my final shave with this soap in my current rotation and it was another excellent lather. It's a shame that they don't make Iceni anymore as it is a very nice scent.

Pre Shave:Hot water, TOBS Pre-Shave Gel
Razor:Henson AL13 v2 mild
Blade:Dorco ST300 Platinum (2)
# Days Growth:2
Soap/Cream:TOBS Jermyn Street
Brush:Simpson's Duke 2 Best Badger
Post Shave:Cold water, Thayers, Proraso White
Sharpness:9
Comfort:9

Good evening shave. Not the best soap for me but not the worst either. Same for the blade.

Shave 04-15-24.jpg

Fatip Piccolo
Shark stainless
Proraso Green
Viking Revolution badger (my first brush)

View attachment 1830528

I never thought I would say this, but this brush felt prickly for the first time. I've always loved its "scrubbiness," but today it was scratchy..... Maybe my face is growing accustomed to other, softer bristles. Who knows?

I still can't seem to master this Piccolo - I can manage cheeks just fine, but it's a bit harsh on my neck, both WTG and ATG. I had hoped the reliable slickness of Proraso would help, but it still left me feeling a little raw afterwards, even after a cooling Duke Cannon balm.

The bowl, which I really like, is a Dollar Tree travel pet bowl. Great latherability, if that can be considered a word.

Overall, maybe a 6 of 10 because of the rough feel afterwards and some weepers.
It's very frustrating when you try all the things you can think of to help shave work out and then it doesn't.😨
Better shaves ahead

Top Bottom