What's new

What soaps have you been disappointed with?

I like cushion, slickness and post shave and won’t compromise on any of the three. Since Stirling sheep can give you all 3 I have to admit if they would come out with a scent I could stand it would be a home run.

That being said I have almost all Ethos and one MacDuffs coming in.

T&S is on my revisit list!

So disappointed with Grooming Dept - because it has destroyed my desire for anything else.
@Hannah's Dad regular Kairos or KSE? Is there one you can get a better lather from?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I like cushion, slickness and post shave and won’t compromise on any of the three. Since Stirling sheep can give you all 3 I have to admit if they would come out with a scent I could stand it would be a home run.

That being said I have almost all Ethos and one MacDuffs coming in.

T&S is on my revisit list!

@Hannah's Dad regular Kairos or KSE? Is there one you can get a better lather from?
Mike, the SE is easier to dial in, but as for post-shave face feel, I struggle to discern any appreciable difference/winner.

And you and I agree that the Stirling mutton tallow is amazing. It’s just not quite up to the GD level for my face. But had I never tried GD Kairos (thanks to you I did!), Stirling mutton and B&M Omnibus would be my standard-bearers.

Last edited:
I absolutely love the scent of this soap but it lasts seconds.

1706386043590.jpeg

Proraso - clinical scents, weird sludgy residue in the lather, bad post.

TOBS - I swear they changed the formula of their cream recently-ish. That or it was never that great to begin with and I was just star struck given it was my first "real" lather and artisan soaps have simply shifted my standards.

MDC- It was okay. Easy to lather. Just not the grail soap it's made out to be. Pretty average.. good value, though

Stirling sheep stomps all three of them

Last edited:
Proraso - clinical scents, weird sludgy residue in the lather, bad post.

TOBS - I swear they changed the formula of their cream recently-ish. That or it was never that great to begin with and I was just star struck given it was my first "real" lather and artisan soaps have simply shifted my standards.

MDC- It was okay. Easy to lather. Just not the grail soap it's made out to be. Pretty average.. good value, though

Stirling sheep stomps all three of them

Coming from hard pucks and not knowing anything about soaps, creams etc I do like tobs and i have red proraso but havnt used it yet so we will see, i do like stirlings too.

Eben Stone

Staff member
GFT Eucris, could not get it to lather and the smell was overpowering and lingered way too long
I couldn't get GFT to lather either. Maybe that's why it's tied with TOBS as the worst performing soap I've tried so far. But I thought the Eucris scent was a masterpiece. Overpowering and lingering sounds like a bonus to me. Unfortunately, no matter how good the Eucris scent is, I still associate GFT with abysmal performance.

Mitchell's Wool Fat - I have read about using lots of water. a boar brush, etc et al .. it worked once in maybe 13 years.
I had better luck luck with using very little water... at least in the beginning, then slowly adding water only once the lather is completely built apart from being dry...but yeah, it's not worth the excessive work it takes to build a quality lather. Ymmv etc

I couldn't get GFT to lather either. Maybe that's why it's tied with TOBS as the worst performing soap I've tried so far. But I thought the Eucris scent was a masterpiece. Overpowering and lingering sounds like a bonus to me. Unfortunately, no matter how good the Eucris scent is, I still associate GFT with abysmal performance.
I'm never buying another GFT again, years ago I tried their sandalwood and that also performed poorly. I find TOBs to be better than GFT. Have not bought TOBS in over 5 years so who knows if they do well today.

La Toja - the salts irritated my face.

Martin de Candre - too dense a lather, not enough slickness (even when I threw high amounts of water at it, it just kept bulking up and never got slick), and the post shave feel was too drying.

Glycerine based tub soaps have left me underwhelmed. While usable, I'd rather be using something else.
Aha! So I am not alone in this affliction. I had the same reaction with La Toja stick and both their shaving creams. A great pity, as they perform well for many other users.

Mainly the old-school stuff like Arko! and Williams.

Jokes aside, both shave well enough but rinse "squeaky clean" which comes into play when I do my touch up...there is little to no residual slickness.

I keep a tube of Eucris cream for my travel kit. When I need an evening shave I will use this with the Skin Food. Happily, Trumpers has been solid for me as a cream product.

I have tubs of TOBS collecting dust, though I like the aroma of St James and Cedarwood.

AoS Sandalwood from 2019- GREATEST sandalwood scent I've smelled to date still, but could not squeeze out an ounce of performance. Might have been the batch or whatever revision the soap was in at the time, who knows. Intoxicating scent though, and it was a shame I couldn't get it to work for me.

Mitchells Wool Fat tallow formula- I can certainly get it to work for me, but just don't feel inclined to use it. I was expecting to be blown away by it.

Cella red and old LaToja stick, both smelled great and performed wonderfully, but unfortunately they burned my skin.

The old Tabac (tallow) stick. About ten years ago there was a big stink on this site about the overwhelming potency of the Tabac fragrance. Either you loved it or hated it, but all agreed it was strong. I wanted to see what the fuss was about, and was kinda hoping to be knocked on my butt. Unfortunately the one I got had little oder. So either I got an ooooold one, or a newer formulation with less perfume. The performance was excellent though.

Won't use anything GFT again here either. I had the Grapefruit, Coconut Oil and another one I don't remember. All had a chemically smell about them but the Coconut Oil was bar none just plain nasty, and all three sub par lather not matter what I tried.

Top Bottom