What's new

Strop Acquisition Thread

David, the fact that you met the legend. Amazing.
95% of stroping in my house is on one of his strops.
So, here is how that happened. I had just
bought my first SR (a Ralf Aust) and I needed
a strop. I saw that Kanoyama strops were
made in Japan, guessed the kanji and
Googled it. An address popped up in an area
of Tokyo far from the glass towers of midtown.
(No webpage, just an address in the White Pages).
There were no close-by train stations, so I was on foot
(using Google maps to navigate). I got within a
hundred meters but had no luck. There were quite
a few dead-end streets. I was walking around
for about 45 minutes by this time. I was hot, tired
and about to give up when I spotted an old wooden door
with カノヤマ written in magic marker on a piece of
posterboard. I pressed the doorbell. The
speaker next to the door crackled. A gravelly voice
asked who I was. In my most polite Japanese,
I said "I am looking to buy a strop." A few minutes
went by, the door opened and I was face-to-face with Mr. Naomi.
He invited me upstairs and showed me several grades of strops.
That is how we met. I went back two or three more times.
After the first visit, I met his daughter/daughter-in-law
who served me green tea and some cookies. Later,
I asked to see the workshop. When they invited
in the back, I asked if I could shoot some video, which I
shot on my iPhone along with a bunch of stills.

What lies behind this door? No tiger. No lady. But a very nice Japanese man and some awesome strops...

The.Door.jpeg

Last edited:
thanks @Tony Miller !!!!

View attachment 1297776
nice quality travel strop.....heck I could easily get by using for regular use!!!!!

apologies @rbscebu for partially intruding on your thread.

camo
Wow. Thats so cool. Id love one myself its super interesting. I just ordered my first nice strop and am waiting on it. Got it from Dukecityvintageshaving on ebay. Hes been an awesome guy and I really enjoyed my experience with him. Ill be a customer of his for life. Still gotta try others though for the experience haha

Thank you David. Yes, NOS.
I paid more than I would have wanted but they are not making them anymore.
Did some checking from my Yahoo watchlist and it looks
like you paid about the same as the retail price for a Kanoyama
90000 strop... so you did not do too bad.

Did some checking from my Yahoo watchlist and it looks
like you paid about the same as the retail price for a Kanoyama
90000 strop... so you did not do too bad.
Yes. Mine is the last one. 2 similar ones sold before, the first for an insane price. The second went cheaper because I got distracted and forgot to bid :)

New one in today - a rather nice 'roo leather travel strop courtesy of @Legion, complete with handy travel boxlet, so I took a family shot of the strops I have.

View attachment 1611112

View attachment 1611204

L to R:

Kanayama 50k - This seems quite slow, with what I believe people call a 'light draw'. I usually use it after another strop.

Buffalo Leather - My first and still my favourite. Also made by David/Legion.

New 'Roo Leather - Looking forward to trying later. Slightly better quality leather than the next one I think.

More 'Roo Leather - Made this one myself, and it's slightly beaten up now from travel - could've done with a handy boxlet! Still works well enough though.

Some small German strop - Not so keen on this and don't use much. It's pretty small, feels kinda suede-like.
@Legion what kind of Buffalo? Looks different than mine. I assume mine is water Buffalo, but could be American Buffalo as it came from out in Montana I believe. It was just a guy who used to once in a while make one and sell online.

So I have three. Bottom is my Grandfather’s genuine shell horsehide. Hampton’ Hardware Texas. Can’t read it all with a W stamped at the bottom. at the bottom. It had the royal linen as the back, but I liked that so much I switched it to the Kanoyama.

Middle is a thick Buffalo and my favorite for the thick blades with lots of draw. I don’t remember who made it, but it was my first and still favorite.

Top is the Kanoyama with my Grandfather’s royal linen attached.

IMG_0468.jpeg
IMG_0469.jpeg
IMG_0470.jpeg
IMG_0471.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
@Legion what kind of Buffalo? Looks different than mine. I assume mine is water Buffalo, but could be American Buffalo as it came from out in Montana I believe. It was just a guy who used to once in a while make one and sell online.

So I have three. Bottom is my Grandfather’s genuine shell horsehide. Hampton’ Hardware Texas. Can’t read it all with a W stamped at the bottom. at the bottom. It had the royal linen as the back, but I liked that so much I switched it to the Kanoyama.

Middle is a thick Buffalo and my favorite for the thick blades with lots of draw. I don’t remember who made it, but it was my first and still favorite.

Top is the Kanoyama with my Grandfather’s royal linen attached.

View attachment 1684874View attachment 1684875View attachment 1684876View attachment 1684885
I believe that leather was water buffalo, probably from Australia. They run wild up in the Northern Territory, and are the only big game we really have to hunt.

Legion

Staff member
A while ago I picked up a lot of hones, that included a few beaten up antique paddle strops.

I just gave one a light resto. Made in Paris. The brand may say Hamon? which could make sense because I have a French razor of that brand.

Pulled off the old pasted leather. Sanded off the old painted finish, but left a hint there, for that antiqued, shabby chic look. New kangaroo leather. Bees wax polish on the handle and sides for a bit of a shiny finish.

I’ll probably paste one of the two sides, maybe with some coticule dust.

IMG_7433.jpeg
IMG_7431.jpeg

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
A while ago I picked up a lot of hones, that included a few beaten up antique paddle strops.

I just gave one a light resto. Made in Paris. The brand may say Hamon? which could make sense because I have a French razor of that brand.

Pulled off the old pasted leather. Sanded off the old painted finish, but left a hint there, for that antiqued, shabby chic look. New kangaroo leather. Bees wax polish on the handle and sides for a bit of a shiny finish.

I’ll probably paste one of the two sides, maybe with some coticule dust.

View attachment 1690137View attachment 1690138

Ran up a bit of a protective cover.

IMG_7436.jpeg

Top Bottom