What's new

Sloppy blade placement, bleeding to death

So my 70 year old uncle introduced me to safety razors over Christmas. Hooked me up with brushes, soaps and 8 different safety razors to try. My problem is with precision of the razors. Every single one that he gave me and two I bought have way too much play when I drop the blades in. I tried many different blades too. I use to be CNC tool and die maker and I can't believe how sloppy these razors are. Every single one has at least 0.020"-0.030" play where I can shift the blade to one side or the other. Every blade change I have to keep bumping blades to get center placement otherwise the blade is hidden on one side and cuts my face off on the other. I measured the blade geometry with caliper and they are very precise. Within 0.001. Why are all these blade holders so sloppy. Some locate blades on 2 pins and some on corners but all have huge gaps allowing for blades to shift even when pressed down (bent). I understand that these razors are casted and not machined but I worked in casting factories and we could always hold 0.003 on small parts like these. Why are they made with locating pins so undersized vs the blade locating slots. I don't get it. The razors uncle gave me were old school so I bought Viking Godfather and King C. Gillette. Same sloppy fit. Got fed up and bought CNC machined Henson razor. This one had real precise blade placement but is so mild I can not shave with it as I shave every 3-4 days and need more aggressive geo. I love this new to me style of shaving but blade changes are making me down right angry with sloppy fit. Also the weight of the heads are way to heavy for me (plastic disposable shaving for 30 years). I found the lightest handle and old Gillette head that is super thin and light but the blade shift is horrible. Not sure what to do???

Welcome to badger and blade. I'm not going to be able to cover all of your concerns but I'll try to knock out a couple with the question to start. Which Henson are you using? Mild medium or aggressive? You could always step it up if you're using a mild Henson. Now having said that I have an aggressive and I don't find it extremely aggressive.

You mentioned lighter works better for you, I will suggest the Windsor pro from above the tie. Plenty of blade feel, wider blade gap, aluminum and super affordable! I have it in a closed comb, I cannot remember if they make it in an open comb.

As far as light adjustables go. I think the lightest would be a Gillette slim? But that still going to be heavier than I think what you're looking for.

Until recently I used Zamak razors and there was always a little play, nomatter what brand.

I purchased a RazoRock Game Changer GC 68-P and GC 84-P. Both are CNC machined from 316L stainless steel. I also purchased a RazoRock Lupo .95 SB. Also CNC machined from 316L stainless. All lock-up solid, with no perceptible blade movement. Regarding blade feel, Aggressiveness and Efficiency, those three razors increase in the order I've listed them.

b/r

ON_1

Welcome to B and B. I understand your problem but most of my vintage razors don't have as much play as you describe. I also have a mild Hansen and virtually no blade movement but it is a mild razor. Generally are your razors 3 piece or butterfly door twist to open? Pictures will help us with possible defects do to age or wear of your razors.

Welcome to badger and blade. I'm not going to be able to cover all of your concerns but I'll try to knock out a couple with the question to start. Which Henson are you using? Mild medium or aggressive? You could always step it up if you're using a mild Henson. Now having said that I have an aggressive and I don't find it extremely aggressive.

You mentioned lighter works better for you, I will suggest the Windsor pro from above the tie. Plenty of blade feel, wider blade gap, aluminum and super affordable! I have it in a closed comb, I cannot remember if they make it in an open comb.

As far as light adjustables go. I think the lightest would be a Gillette slim? But that still going to be heavier than I think what you're looking for.
I just realized they sell The Henson AL13-M which is more aggressive than The Henson AL13

Welcome to the forum. Maybe a few photos of the offending razors and Blade gaps may also help us to pinpoint any issues before we suggest any new purchases.
Will post some photos tomorrow. I still can't understand why all heads are made to have sloppy blade fit. Do people shift blades to one side on purpose? This is not manufacturing quality issue. They can cast these parts with 0.002 pin to blade interference with no problems yet they choose to have 10 times that. I'm new to this so I don't understand why there is so much blade movement when loading.

Until recently I used Zamak razors and there was always a little play, nomatter what brand.

I purchased a RazoRock Game Changer GC 68-P and GC 84-P. Both are CNC machined from 316L stainless steel. I also purchased a RazoRock Lupo .95 SB. Also CNC machined from 316L stainless. All lock-up solid, with no perceptible blade movement. Regarding blade feel, Aggressiveness and Efficiency, those three razors increase in the order I've listed them.

b/r

ON_1
"All lock-up solid, with no perceptible blade movement" All the razors I have lock the blades in place. The issue is when I drop the blades in, I can move them side to side before tightening.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
You could solve all your shaving problems in one fell swoop but read this first:

If you still wish to proceed:

Then for how to do it:

Welcome to B and B. I understand your problem but most of my vintage razors don't have as much play as you describe. I also have a mild Hansen and virtually no blade movement but it is a mild razor. Generally are your razors 3 piece or butterfly door twist to open? Pictures will help us with possible defects do to age or wear of your razors.
No butterfly razors. All are 3 pieces. My Henson was the only one with no blade play but won't shave 4 day old thick hair without doing 5-6 passes

You will like the Razorock Game Changer. It's made of stainless steel but really the weight is perfect to let the weight of the razor do the work. And will last a lifetime. Lightweight razors require pressure which without proper technique can lead to blood loss.

20230413_045901.jpg

Since you worked as a machinist, maybe this is partly a pet peeve? I'm thinking maybe some of the Single Edge razors would appeal to you because of the way the blades fit and are held precisely in place.

Maybe take a look at the GEM Micromatics like the Clog-Pruf or the Open Comb. They are available for very little money and can give a very close shave. Use the Personna Stainless PTFE coated blades with them for best results.

Or a vintage Schick injector might be a good razor for you.

Will post some photos tomorrow. I still can't understand why all heads are made to have sloppy blade fit. Do people shift blades to one side on purpose? This is not manufacturing quality issue. They can cast these parts with 0.002 pin to blade interference with no problems yet they choose to have 10 times that. I'm new to this so I don't understand why there is so much blade movement when loading.
Tolerance stacking. If you had a DE razor with 0.002 clearance, you would be decidedly unhappy- there would be a fair number of blades which would "spring" when removing them. One good cut squeezing your fingers around a DE blade would require stitches.

I know this because some of the pre-/peri- Gillette vintage razors have slightly larger posts, to fit some of the similar profile, but not to same spec, vintage blades.

So the question is- does the clearance fit trigger your OCD, or do your blades move substantively when nominally clamped?

I'm suspecting your blades are pretty secure, when clamped?😉

Top Bottom