What's new

What’s the modern answer to a more aggressive tech?

We all know the feather as-d2 is the modern tech. But I was just curious what the answer to a modern DE was if you were to make a Gillette tech more aggressive by taking the same razor and increasing blade exposure?

Im having a hard time finding a FBT.
A prewar Canadian tech to me seems about the same as a superspeed that is supposed to be a mid level razor.

Or get a superspeed. Or a red tip superspeed that is more aggressive. Or get a blue, flair, and red.

Are adjustables out of the question? Like just get a slim or fatboy or super adjustable and be done.

Or get a modern adjustable of just about any brand. Or get something you can change the baseplates on.

So yeah, lots of options. :straight:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Flat Bottom Techs often show up on Buy Sell Trade here... but you need 45 days and 50 quality posts to post there. You can PM sellers and communicate that way.

Skip the flat bottom and get a Canadian tech. FB was too similar to a regular tech for me.

Modern I will put in a vote for the Game Changer 68 standard bar. Very thin head, tracks as well with modern weight, handle options and just a bit closer of a shave than a regular tech.

A prewar Canadian tech to me seems about the same as a superspeed that is supposed to be a mid level razor.

Or get a superspeed. Or a red tip superspeed that is more aggressive. Or get a blue, flair, and red.

Are adjustables out of the question? Like just get a slim or fatboy or super adjustable and be done.

Or get a modern adjustable of just about any brand. Or get something you can change the baseplates on.

So yeah, lots of options. :straight:
None of those listed have the nimble maneuverable head that the tech has though . I’m looking for extremely similar head shape as the tech.

@Chickencutlets here you go:

Just pm the seller. He’s awesome btw. Two EFBT to choose from! Both in stunning re-plated condition.

lasta

Blade Biter
@Chickencutlets , if you like Tech (as I do), then just keep using a Tech! A lot of modern lineage traces back to it, but no one "replicated" its perfection.

I played around with shims, but there is really no need. Techs have positive blade exposure with a very small gap, designed for shaving shallow. Get the angle right and there is no need for more aggression. Modern trends have moved in the opposite direction.

If you want the closest relative, get a Gillette New Short Comb. Open combs allow the teeth to sink deeper and expose more skin to blade. The overall geometry is almost identical to Techs.

None of those listed have the nimble maneuverable head that the tech has though . I’m looking for extremely similar head shape as the tech.

Then stick with the tech honestly. It's a nice razor. I'm looking for a flat bottom New hybrid myself. But a pre-war Canadian or a flat bottom Brit are slightly more to the mid level aggression. Can find them on Etsy or eBay or here. Search for Gillette tech England or Canada. They normally won't say flat bottom so just look at the pictures for that or for the triangle shape bottom plate for the prewar.

That said I have never had any issues with "nimbleness" of a any of the razors listed.

Then stick with the tech honestly. It's a nice razor. I'm looking for a flat bottom New hybrid myself. But a pre-war Canadian or a flat bottom Brit are slightly more to the mid level aggression. Can find them on Etsy or eBay or here. Search for Gillette tech England or Canada. They normally won't say flat bottom so just look at the pictures for that or for the triangle shape bottom plate for the prewar.

That said I have never had any issues with "nimbleness" of a any of the razors listed.
Just so I know, the FBT the real way to spot the difference is if made in the UK ,and has long thin oval slots with the flat bottom on the handle?

My prewar Canadian tech. Says made in Canada and Patent 1932
IMG_20230109_202852793.jpg

Top Bottom