What's new

What’s the modern answer to a more aggressive tech?

I’m sort of keeping an eye out for a cheap / acceptable flat bottom tech or a Canadian pre war to see how they shave. I did order a few of the cheaper options as well to test them out. I appreciate the input guys.

Skip the flat bottom and get a Canadian tech. FB was too similar to a regular tech for me.

Modern I will put in a vote for the Game Changer 68 standard bar. Very thin head, tracks as well with modern weight, handle options and just a bit closer of a shave than a regular tech.
Trouble is finding one

There's one on eBay now unfortunately sold as a khaki set so asking a premium.

Etsy has one right now razor only.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post links to them?

But search Gillette Tech 1932
Private message link? Did search and don’t see it but my wife can attest it was probably right in front of my face.

I have a pre-war and post-war Canadian tech. They shouldn’t be too hard to find and they’re both great razors.

The pre-war was a really good price - $10 CDN and because the shipper was Canadian the shipping and tax was only another $8. I did pay almost as much in shipping and tax as I did for the razor, but as a Canadian that seems like the typical eBay experience.

Flat-bottoms do seem harder to find and quite a bit more expensive.

Are you stuck on a tech clone. I have a Tech and never use since it seems so mild. My go to razor, not a Tech, is a vintage Gillette Slim and I love it. They can be found in good shape for a decent price, gives you the option to adjust aggressiveness. Gillette Super Speed is a decent razor but of course it is twist-to-open and not modern.

I have a few of the modern razors and not really liking any of them. I have the twist open Van Der Hagen, Merkur 34c which was my first razor in the DE venture and I can't even use it now as it seems so harsh on my face(not smooth), cheap plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic is another razor like the Tech but mild though.

I don't need anymore razors myself but would still like to try modern adjustable razors such as the Parker Variant, or even the Rockwell which is similar to a Tech style but with different bottom plates for adjusting aggression. Even want to try a Fatip open comb but I can't pull the trigger on buying anymore.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
After revisiting this thread, I found that no one has added "Ikon Tech", so I think it must be added in here.
From the name, we can know that it deliberately reproduces some parts of Tech.
proxy.php

But from the side photos, it can be seen that Ikon Tech has greatly increased its aggressiveness.
So this razor might also fit the gist of this thread without breaking too many wallets.
proxy.php

Someone else mentioned the Maggard V3M. It has the Tech-like design (blade held in place at the corners) but is likely more "aggressive". Very low profile head. I use it for edging and for shaving the back of my neck.

Maggard Razors Safety Razor Head V3M (Mild), Chrome Finish - https://maggardrazors.com/collections/safety-razors/products/maggard-razors-safety-razor-head-v3m-mild-chrome-finish
I tried this on just the cheek to edge the hair line and wow is it aggressive for me. Loads of blade feel!

After revisiting this thread, I found that no one has added "Ikon Tech", so I think it must be added in here.
From the name, we can know that it deliberately reproduces some parts of Tech.
proxy.php

But from the side photos, it can be seen that Ikon Tech has greatly increased its aggressiveness.
So this razor might also fit the gist of this thread without breaking too many wallets.
proxy.php
Never tried the Ikon Tech, but hear it's a monster. Look at that blade forward exposure there....wow. I think I'll let the more brave shavers out there use that one....lol.

Top Bottom