What's new

Timeless - Difference between Scalloped and Straight bar

Hi Guys,

I would like to know the difference between a scalloped bar and a straight bar. I am looking at buying a Timeless razor and finding it difficult to decide which one to choose. What does the scalloped part do?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
That's easy, when deciding between scalloped and straight bar, you pick the OC from Timeless.
Yeah, seriously. Their OC design is very safe and nicely rounded and gives a better shave.
I didn't find the .95 Scalloped efficient enough, the .95 OC is still tame and does it better.

I personally also like the scalloped cap. I would go with OC and scalloped cap, but I am still waiting for the MIT to set up proper testing to confirm that scalloped caps and OC have better lather flow! :straight:

For me, nothing, at least when it comes to shaving.
I am currently using a Timor 1325 razor from Giesen & Frosthoff. That's my first razor that i got a month back. Being a mild razor, it take a good 3-4 passes to get a BBS and I suffer from razor burn in my neck

One solution was to get a razor that would enable me to get a clean shave with fewer passes. I am hoping Timeless will do that job and save me from razor burns/irritation

That's easy, when deciding between scalloped and straight bar, you pick the OC from Timeless.
Yeah, seriously. Their OC design is very safe and nicely rounded and gives a better shave.
I didn't find the .95 Scalloped efficient enough, the .95 OC is still tame and does it better.

I personally also like the scalloped cap. I would go with OC and scalloped cap, but I am still waiting for the MIT to set up proper testing to confirm that scalloped caps and OC have better lather flow! :straight:
:biggrin1::biggrin1: The OC huh? I am a little afraid :) But this post give me some confidence to think about it!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I am hoping Timeless will do that job and save me from razor burns/irritation
Hmm... I don't have any Giesen & Forsthoff razor, only heard they are rather mild.

Timeless is perhaps not the most expensive company out there, but there are quite a lot of other razors of all degrees of efficiency and aggression in between. Maybe try some of the not so expensive razors in between.

The .95 Head, with scalloped bar, straight or OC is middle of the road in terms of aggression. But then, we have shavers here who rather go with the .68. It is not easy to recommend a quite expensive razor and then you hear "it's too harsh for me". Not sure if you should take that leap of faith right away before not trying some other razors, you can try quite a few for half the price of a Timeless. Just thinking out loud.

I have the 3 bars in the .68 Ti gap my scallop is the more matte finish as I wanted to see how it felt also
but the 3 bars in same gap just take small forward in efficiency need to get the 95 to try

I like the OC the most its so smooth and comfy and you do not know you are using a OC

the scallop though is very nice and IMHO the various bars just allow you to fine tune what you like
look wise for me OC is first then scallop then straight with the scalloped cap again only based on looks :)

the scallop for me is closer to the OC in feel and efficiency than the straight

To me, the difference is mostly in how they look rather than how they perform. This is just my opinion, but I feel the SB looks better with the smooth cap white the SCL and OC look better with the scalloped cap.

I have all three (SB, SCL, & OC) and get wonderful results no matter the combination. Looks only matter when they're on display and not so much during the shave.

Good luck...

Last edited:

I totally agree with Iridian. The Timeless OC plate is butter smooth. The smoothest of any razor I have used.

I personally also like the scalloped cap. I would go with OC and scalloped cap, but I am still waiting for the MIT to set up proper testing to confirm that scalloped caps and OC have better lather

100% agree!

I agree with all of this.

I have the scalloped bar with my Timeless,shaving wise there wont be much if any difference at all,it's all down to just whichever you prefer cosmetically,i prefer the look of Scalloped to straight,but to me makes no difference to the shave😉

I believe the scalloped safety bar is supposed to allow more of your beard to be exposed to the razor. In practice, straight and scalloped really haven’t ever been different to me. It isn’t until you get into closed comb and open comb razors that differences become more significant.

Your post made me ultimately go for the OC! Having lived with the OC .95 & .5 slim, I can't thank you enough for recommending the OC in everything Timeless does

You are absolutely spot on! The OC is exceptionally smooth and yes, the rounded design makes it very safe!

Soo soo glad I took your advice and went for the OC

Your post made me ultimately go for the OC! Having lived with the OC .95 & .5 slim, I can't thank you enough for recommending the OC in everything Timeless does

You are absolutely spot on! The OC is exceptionally smooth and yes, the rounded design makes it very safe!

Soo soo glad I took your advice and went for the OC
curious your thoughts between the .95 and the slim ?

need to try these still using my .68 OC and of course loving it tied with my Wolfman .95 so far and for sure need to try these two out also might try the straight .95 as the Wolfman 1.15 I have is to much for my face for daily kinda prefer less blade feel if I can

OH just saw this thread :) kinda answered the blade feel which seems to be what others notice to :)

Last edited:
curious your thoughts between the .95 and the slim ?

need to try these still using my .68 OC and of course loving it tied with my Wolfman .95 so far and for sure need to try these two out also might try the straight .95 as the Wolfman 1.15 I have is to much for my face for daily kinda prefer less blade feel if I can
Hi,

The slim is more efficient than the .95 - that's the biggest takeaway having used both. I would put this down to more blade exposure even though the slim has a lesser blade. The plate is CNC work of art.

If you are ok with more blade feel, I would recommend the .5 slim. One point to note is that it works only at a certain angle. If i run it shallow, it gives a very scrappy feeling. I run it steep and it cuts very very efficiently.

The .95 OC is more forgiving than the slim and 90% as efficient as the slim. While using the slim, I am more careful/watchful. If you want something fuss free, go for the .95 OC

Given what you have you stated ( that you are looking for a daily driver) , I would go for the .95 OC

Top Bottom