What's new

What makes you choose and buy the razors you buy?

For most of my shaving career, I've bought vintage Gillette razors due to their history and known quality of the shaves they can give. Over the past dozen or so years, however, while I've only bought three new razors, all were based on appearance first and the claimed shaving quality second. For instance, back in 2011, I bought a chrome lined handle Edwin Jagger DE89.I had heard they were good shavers even though they used Zamak heads but it was the appearance that made me order my first. Recently, I bought a second one in their Gold Barely finish. It shaves just like the first one but it's just a gorgeous razor. Even more recently, I bought a Tatara Masamune purely for its design, known precision and CNC build quality using barstock stainless (that it shave as well as it does was a bonus!). And, Friday night, I found a deal from shaving.ie for the Muhle Rocca Birch handle R95. I have NO idea how it shaves but it is one of the most attractive DE razors I've ever seen. I understand it sits between the R89 and R41 for aggressiveness. Oh, and tomorrow, a Gillette Heritage is showing up, bought for the packaging mostly. If it has the same issue so many have complained about (a handle that comes loose, it will go back). Otherwise, it seems to be a Muhle R89 head and USA made ss handle. And lastly, the cheapest way for me to try an R41 was ordering just the head which I'll try on a spare handle.

What about you guys, what makes you pull the trigger on the razors you buy?

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
It's an excellent question. The reason used to be...the hope...perhaps based on reviews...that the razor would give me a better shave than what I was currently getting. But now, I'm not sure that's the case anymore. Now, it's more curiosity than anything else...which is actually dangerous for my bank account.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm so new to wet shaving that I had no idea what to buy. Over the past few months, I've met a few people who like the same things in razors that I do and I've been taking their advice, adding a few DE razors and one AC razor to my lonely Claymore Evolution. I still have a few more to try but so far, every single one of them has provided excellent shaves.

I've also avoided a few razors due to what other people like... knowing they prefer a different razor feel than I do. I haven't bought anything due to its looks yet... but the Rose Gold handle R41 does look appealing. <eg>

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It's an excellent question. The reason used to be...the hope...perhaps based on reviews...that the razor would give me a better shave than what I was currently getting. But now, I'm not sure that's the case anymore. Now, it's more curiosity than anything else.
Yes. This.

@matwho gifted me a bronze Timeless Razor with, I believe, a 035 head? No idea where the decimal goes, sorry.... But, if I get the lather right on that razor, it gives a phenomenal, incomparable shave. I doubt I could find a nicer razor.

But like @CCS stated above, my true love is the old razors, for the historical qualities I'm attracted to. So any PURCHASES I make will probably be antique razors, ones that have years and quarters on them that are meaningful to me.

Lord, forgive me for my transgressions...

Initially, I wanted to try every vintage piece of gear I could find. The more obscure, the better!

About 150# of razors later, I was snared by Richard & the Tradere. It was still 2-3 years before I went down the "modern" trail because, yes, Gillette, Myatt and a couple of others pretty well solved all major shaving difficulties a couple of generations prior to mine.

However, some of these new products are adding to my barely-a-handful of vintage top performers, e.g., I'm only keeping top gun/big dawg/top notch/whathaveyous.

At this point, I acquire based 1) on the quality of shave offered and 2) design appeal.

This. I need to stop Internetting whilst loopy and not just for shaving gear. 🤪 In fact, I recently booked a $700 hot air balloon ride for an upcoming vacation in Madrid while under the influence. No idea where I got that idea from. I never really thought about taking a hot air balloon ride before. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyhoo, to answer the OPs actual question, I have a baseline of what I like (aggressive) and thru trial and error (and some selling off of razors that missed the mark) I have a solid razor lineup that all shave great. Higher gap Wolfman and Karve just do it for me.

I do still like my old Gillettes too, but mainly a Slim on setting 9 and Aristocrats and a Red Tip (all fairly aggressive).

Oh, and the recommendations and reviews from other B&Bers are extremely helpful.

Last edited:
In the beginning of my journey I chose something that I could get in an actual store (VdH rebranded Weishi). Not long after that I “officially” joined here. After a couple months or so of using the VdH razor I got to thinking that there had to be something “better.” I tried a Merkur 23c followed by an EJ Kelvin because they’re from well regarded brands. Then I tried a Gillette heritage due to the buzz on here at the time it came out. After some reluctance I jumped down the vintage rabbit hole and fell in love with the Gillette tech. After awhile I opted to try a couple OC razors and tried an Otto Roth branded Gillette NEW LC and an old type again because they’re both well regarded razors. Really like the Gillette NEW LC but not a huge fan of the old type. Tried a standard flare tip super speed and a blue tip because a lot of people here like them but ended up going back to using my 1946 contract tech. A couple months ago I decided to give the TTOs another chance and chose a couple 1948-50 Gillette aristocrats. They’re just beautiful razors that work great for me
I do still like my old Gillettes too, but mainly a Slim on setting 9 and Aristocrats and a Red Tip (all fairly aggressive).
I think it might depend on which aristocrat is being discussed. I know Gillette released several different razors under the aristocrat name. The two 1948-50 aristocrat TTOs I have I would rate as mild but efficient
Oh, and the recommendations and reviews from other B&Bers are extremely helpful.
I agree with this 100%

For me it’s mostly about how well I think it’ll shave or with vintage razors the history. I really enjoy both modern and vintage and for vintage I love the Tech with a sharp blade and the super speeds (mostly red tip). Both the Tech & Red Tip are among my all time favorites so far. I’ve yet to try an Aristocrat but imagine I’ll really like those as well.

But I still prefer the R89 slightly to these vintage razors and after trying out quite a few modern razors and recently a few higher end SS/brass ones I have found a couple real winners in there. The Masumune is one that’s up there on my list I haven’t tried out yet. Along with a couple others like the ATT SSRH.

CCS, if you keep on this path of trying out modern razors I really think you should try the Razorock GameChanger in both 68 & 84p. I got the 84p in first and figured it would be too aggressive for me since I usually prefer more mild razors but it was the best shaving razor I’ve ever tried.

I also tried the 68p plate later on but haven’t found much use for it since the 84p is smooth for me and more efficient. But not knowing if the 84p is too much for you I recommend getting both plates. The whole razor is only $55 brand new and is top quality SS and I believe the additional plate is about $30 so you may be better off buying a second razor or find one on the BST since they are listed quite frequently. I’ve tried the Razorock Mamba & Lupos as well but the GameChanger is special to me.

I love the Barber Pole handle which costs about $2-3 extra but their standard Bulldog handle is nice as well as the HD For a slightly shorter handle.

One more razor I have to recommend that’s still fairly cheap is the Blackland ERA. It’s $75 new and I have the level 4 SB plate and find it quite mild but very efficient. I can’t wait to try out the level 5 plate but based on what you like I think the level 4 may be perfect.

And a shout out to ATT razors as well, I have their older R1 plate and find it very similar to the Game Changer but maybe not quite as smooth and also costs a bit more. I’ve heard their newer Windsor lines are even better so I can’t wait to try their new Windsor SSRH eventually.

When I started it was the search for the best shave!
I then realized that most razors give a good shave with proper technique, prep, the right blade etc..
Now it's based on what seems interesting to me (design wise, materials, build quality etc..)
It's fun to have choice and to be able to try different razors out.
Nice to compare and see how one can outdo the other!
But deep down inside, all those factors are intertwined with the search for the better shave!
It's complicated (and expensive)🤣

And a shout out to ATT razors as well, I have their older R1 plate and find it very similar to the Game Changer but maybe not quite as smooth and also costs a bit more. I’ve heard their newer Windsor lines are even better so I can’t wait to try their new Windsor SSRH eventually.
I have 3 ATT razors and I just ordered my 4th tonight (the X1, a single edge AC slant!)
The Windsor SSRH is my #1 razor (so far) out of all my razors. Maybe this new X1 might beat it, who knows!
The SSRH is fantastic! Very efficient, smooth as silk, the perfect amount of blade feel and it feels like a tank in your hands. Love it!
Buy one when you can, you won't regret it!

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
At first I just wanted to try DE cheaply to know if I would fit, so I bought some Chinese made zamak DE & Merkur 42C.

After I got used to it, I wanted some everlasting quality that would last until the destruction of the earth, so I went for the Razorock Game changer/ Razorock Mamba/ Rockwell6s.

Next I wanted to try some looks that appealed to me more, so went into Feather As-d2/Pils 101ne/ Wolfman Wr2/ Rex ambassado/ Timeless ti68 scalloped/ Tatara Muramasa.

During the process, I found that I seem to lack a little experience of open comb, so I added the base plate of Game changer68/ Gillette New SC/ Razorock Lupo DC ...But my real DE quest has been satisfying for now after Muramasa.

------
I am also passionate about chasing some weird designs in shaving history and researching their backstories, such as Travalong/ Bigelow & Parkin /Miss Evans/ Ideal Shaver/ Gillette Super click/ Tiffany solid silver cartridge/ Watt magic razor…
As a bizarre researcher with diverse interests, I am also curious about the various mechanisms of shavettes, so I bought a few shavettes in small quantities.

I originally bought a KCG because they are available in physical stores and I’d read they came with excellent blades and were a relatively mild shave. After using it (and liking it) a few times I remembered my dad gave me an old safety razor decades ago when I was a teenager. Miraculously I found it - a 1966 slim. Immediately I fell in love with it and also purchased a super adjustable in my birth year. I used those for a few weeks and had a lot of fun playing with different settings, razors, prep, etc before I got the itch to try a more modern option. I loved the concept of the Blackland Era with its mild exposure and super rigid blade clamping so I got one with the 3 oc plate and 2 sb. I’ve been content with this stable of razors for 3 months now. I don’t love the KCG handle so I have bought a couple different options and a Mühle R89 to throw in the mix, but that’s no real departure from the lineup.

At this point I can look back and realize that I could have stopped at any point. All of these razors are excellent and deliver the shave I’m looking for if I do my part competently. I’m sure the itch to buy something will strike again, but it won’t be in search of a better shave.

Top Bottom