What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Gillette Red Tip (US) B4
Blade: Supermax Diamond Edge (2)
Cream: Palmolive Classic
Brush: Simpsons Duke No.1
A/S : Blue Stratos
Balm: Boots Freshwood Balm

IMG_20220928_200655628.jpg

First ever shave with a Red Tip today. I was very much looking forward to it. A very nice last quarter 1956 example, obtained with the help of a fine B&B Gentleman.

I had a 3 day growth going on, so it would give my new friend something to do. Loaded up with a blade I am very much enjoying, the Super Max Diamond Edge. To me it performs very similarly to a Gillette Platinum. A very smooth, nicely sharp and very cost-effective blade.

The Red Tip feels lovely in the hand. I really appreciate it's heft and checkered knurling, an unusual pattern for the Gillettes. It has a great look, which combines a period masculine confidence with elegant lines. Why were designs so effortlessly cool looking in the 40's and 50's?

I got a nice wet lather going with a blob of ever reliable Palmolive on the end of the very nice Simpsons Duke 1. I appreciate the size and performance of it greatly. Face lathered a while, looking at the Red Tip on the sink. The Red Tip stared back. Game on.

The first WTG pass gave me a good initial idea of the Red Tip. It is a lovely ergonomic delight in the hand, and very manoeverable. I was expecting a shave which somewhat approximated to my English 1953 Rocket, but actually the Red Tip was somewhat more efficient. Very nice first pass.

Second XTG pass was near perfection, aided by a very good blade. The Red Tip almost immeditely felt just 'right' to me in use. It just seemed to fit my hand and shaving style precisely. Rinsed off. I could have walked then.

The 3rd ATG pass had the razor singing, lovely audible feedback and dealing easily with usually hard to get areas. Chin cleft and upper lip area dealt with perfectly, even the left and right jaw just ahead of the ears. Superb.

Cold water face rinse and a quick clean of the brush to get the good old Palmolive out, and then a nice splash of a classic 70's scent, Blue Stratos. Finished off with some very reliable and well-priced Boots Freshwood balm, as I had had a close shave.

A superb razor, to my surprise quite significantly more efficient than the Rocket, which is itself a fantastic shaver. I have heard the English Red Tip is more efficient still, but this US B4 is perfect for my face and whiskers. Just the step up in efficiency and relative mildness I was looking for. Excellent BBS shave, with everything working together.

10/10

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter

View attachment 1530232

First ever shave with a Red Tip today. I was very much looking forward to it. A very nice last quarter 1956 example, obtained with the help of a fine B&B Gentleman.

I had a 3 day growth going on, so it would give my new friend something to do. Loaded up with a blade I am very much enjoying, the Super Max Diamond Edge. To me it performs very similarly to a Gillette Platinum. A very smooth, nicely sharp and very cost-effective blade.

The Red Tip feels lovely in the hand. I really appreciate it's heft and checkered knurling, an unusual pattern for the Gillettes. It has a great look, which combines a period masculine confidence with elegant lines. Why were designs so effortlessly cool looking in the 40's and 50's?

I got a nice wet lather going with a blob of ever reliable Palmolive on the end of the very nice Simpsons Duke 1. I appreciate the size and performance of it greatly. Face lathered a while, looking at the Red Tip on the sink. The Red Tip stared back. Game on.

The first WTG pass gave me a good initial idea of the Red Tip. It is a lovely ergonomic delight in the hand, and very manoeverable. I was expecting a shave which somewhat approximated to my English 1953 Rocket, but actually the Red Tip was somewhat more efficient. Very nice first pass.

Second XTG pass was near perfection, aided by a very good blade. The Red Tip almost immeditely felt just 'right' to me in use. It just seemed to fit my hand and shaving style precisely. Rinsed off. I could have walked then.

The 3rd ATG pass had the razor singing, lovely audible feedback and dealing easily with usually hard to get areas. Chin cleft and upper lip area dealt with perfectly, even the left and right jaw just ahead of the ears. Superb.

Cold water face rinse and a quick clean of the brush to get the good old Palmolive out, and then a nice splash of a classic 70's scent, Blue Stratos. Finished off with some very reliable and well-priced Boots Freshwood balm, as I had had a close shave.

A superb razor, to my surprise quite significantly more efficient than the Rocket, which is itself a fantastic shaver. I have heard the English Red Tip is more efficient still, but this US B4 is perfect for my face and whiskers. Just the step up in efficiency and relative mildness I was looking for. Excellent BBS shave, with everything working together.

10/10
Shaving with a Tech, but my mind is longing for the Red Tip to arrive:em2200:!

10/10 none the less.
20220929_081945.jpg

View attachment 1530232

10/10
Don't see too many Dukes in pure :thumbsup: Very underrated Simpson hair grade.

I ran an experiment today that involved simulating lathering off the puck. With a modest amount of HoM Alive soap remaining, in more of a crescent shape, I mashed some of the soap into a separate bowl to simulate the area of a traditional puck size. The loading proceeded from there but the resulting lather slickness and cushion was subpar. I normally scoop an amount to be consumed for the entire session and load and lather in the same bowl. But here I had more than needed and performed the loading in the separate bowl. With a less than stellar lather I took an exit to DFS. Along the way I picked up some minor irritation and a couple of tiny weepers in an area where lather dried up prematurely.
But I did it in the name of shaving science :) 🔬

Overall Score: 8 / 10

RAZOR: Blackland Blackbird Ti [SB]
BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium [1]
BRUSH: AP Shave Co 24mm G5C
LATHER: House of Mammoth Alive

bbti-ethos-alive.png

Prep: Beard Guyz daily wash
Soap: Caisson Code Four
Brush: Rudy Vey 2022 contributors brush synthetic
Razor: ATT Windsors with SSMR2 open comb
Blade: Dorco Prime Platinum
A/S: Nivea cooling sensitive AS balm
Overall shave: 8/10

First day with the SSMR2 base plate which went through several days growth with 0 issues and due to the open comb design no lather channel clogging, which I've managed to do once or twice when I've let it go too long between shaves.
Great lather from the combination of the Rudy Vey brush and the Caisson shave soap which I loaded up out of the container and face lathered.
I think it was my not quite finding the angle with the first day on the new plate that gave me a few more weepers than normal but, nothing the alum block didn't take care of.
PXL_20220929_012857240.jpg
PXL_20220929_013542642.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20220928_182840~2.jpg

Razor: Colonial Razors The General V2 (@Rosseforp GTS 25G Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (5)
Brush: @Rudy Vey 2022 B&B Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: TFS Rasozero - Barbacco
Aftershave: TFS Intense Line - Tabacum Crepito

Superb top tier shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11947386

Preshave: Glycerin Facewash with warm water splashes
Razor : Feather Artist Club SR Folding
Blade : Feather Super Professional (D7)
Brush : Omega Pro 49
Soap : Mitchell Wool Fat
Aftershave : Alum Block + Cold water splashes + AXE Denim AS Lotion

Rating : 9.46/10

Very close and comfortable BBS :001_wub::straight:

After using my mildest razor yesterday (Feather AS-D2), I used my most (or second most) aggressive razor today - my 30's era Gillette NEW long comb. Blade was a G Platinum on its second run. Brush was my uber dense silvertip T&H Rooney (a wonderful problem child). Shaved after my shower and used my recently acquired PdP #63, a stupidly good soap with an intoxicating fragrance. Like it much more (scentwise) than my original puck of PdP but performance is the same.

A slow, methodical shave with the usual three passes and lots of very careful buffing and clean-up. It feels like, if you don't chop yourself up with an old open comb, the shave can be, if it's possible, even closer than with the AS-D2 and Feather blade (For the past years since I bought it, the AS-D2 and Feather blades are the standard I measure everything else against). Anyway, alum rinse followed by a small mix of Neutrogena Hydroboost gel and T&H Grafton aftershave balm. Very satisfying to get everything completely bald (on my face as I still have most of my hair) without any mishaps. I take a BBS shave for granted with all my other razors but the aggressiveness of the NEW and Old Type short comb are teaching me to go a bit slower to get there with those two. I'll give myself a 9.75/10 because it takes a good five more minutes for me to use the open combs.

Last edited:
Another Old Type arrived today, this one has the P&G "Use Ivory Soap" advertising stamped into the baseplate. The handle is a bit tatty but at least it screws on properly. The plating on the baseplate and cap is pretty good for being 100 years old. The screw on the top cap seems slightly longer than normal so some of my handles won't fit without a packing washer - that's just an observation as I have handles that do fit and a bag full of M5 nylon washers.

I gave it a try with an Astra SP (2) and got a comfortable DFS, just the same as with my other Old Type. I'd rate it as a 9.5/10 as it's not BBS, but it will do for today.
20220929_104926.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpg

Treet Carbon Steel Blade review(s)

29 September 2022​
1664451257692.jpeg

Prep
Harvest Scent gel liquid soap.
Today’s
Razor
Van der Hagen
Brush
Omega--11126
Bowl
Fine Stoneware
Lathering
Noble Otter’s--Lonestar scent (using boiled tap water)
Treet Carbon Steel Blade
New Edge Pakistan Shave #1
Passes
WTG
XTG
Buffing as required
Cleanup
Rinse and dried face
Witch Hazel
Alum Stick
Noble Otter Lone Star After Shave
Rating(s) and Comments
Today the Treet New Edge blade, my Van der Hagen, Noble Otter Lonestar soap, and Omega—11126 brush, combined with a long soak-in prep, yielded a 10.0 BBS quality shave. I haven’t used this Treet blade product before. I wanted to have a nice clean shave for mowing the lawn(s) and other outside errands this morning. This blade delivered all I could ask for!!

Top Bottom