What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Gillette Fatboy
Blade: Lord Platinum
Brush: Paladin Samurai in Honey Noir
Soap: ETHOS Vanilla Safi
Aftershave: Captain’s Choice Italia

The Shave: WTG x2 on 9 and ATG on 6 for an excellent shave.

2nd use of ETHOS and the lather for my first pass wasn’t great, but it was still very slick. Lather was subsequently dialed in for next two passes.

Fatboy cult razor, FAD, greatest razor of all time? Lots of differing opinions, I just know that I really enjoy using it and get nice shaves. Plus we have the same nickname!

The Captain’s Choice Italia pairs nicely with the ETHOS Vanilla Safi, excellent scents that compliment each other without overpowering the other.

The brush, looks and performs exceptionally well. I love me some Paladin brushes.

9/10 deduction for my 1st lather, needed to work it more. User error.
06291344-5926-4554-8ADF-52A7126E053C.jpeg

* Knockout (1938)
* King C. Gillette
* Tallow Tabac
* Yaqi Silvertip
* Old Spice Whitewater

Rate 10

Easy BBS, both beard and scalp. Superb little English cult vintage, often claimed to be the best DE razor. Check the holed top plate.
KCG might be expensive: I love that blade. Don't think it is rebranded.
Tallow Tabac, nothing left to say: marvelous soap.
Some dislike this Old Spice: as far as I'm concerned it's whopping good. Nice sharp and crisp feel when applied, you certainly don't need a balm with it. Another hidden gem. Great skin care ❤️

3B720F49-4EAF-4D97-809A-CE0E99246B89.jpeg

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: 24K gold plated Brass Karve Overlander head & Aluminum Overlander handle
Blade: Gillette Nacet (4)
Soap: Arianna & Evans Barbierie Sophistacato
Bowl: Stirling Silicone collapsable bowl
Brush: AP Shave Co Elegant Emerald Handle with a 24mm SynBad knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Polo Double Black EDT
Rating: 9.75/10 Three pass BBS shave with no touch ups. One weeper, one cut but no irritation. Very good efficient shave! Weeper on upper lip and cut on chin. Not sure how I did that, but I did. Cured with a Styptic Pencil. Using the Aluminum handle on the brass head is not bad, but a little top heavy. Thinking matched handle and head still the best way to go.

0FB35678-B3F6-4D0C-B907-E39F7AE96868.jpeg

24 May 22

Razor: Gillette Old Type
Blade: Polsilver Stainless
Brush: Vulfix Grosvenor
Lather: Fraser’s Mosswood
AS: Bootlegger Green Freeze
9/10

Delightful shave all around. A whiskers edge from a 10/10. The Mosswood gets pushed back into the back of the cabinet so I have to reach for it periodically and it is always worth the effort.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
ASRazor shave, Tue, May24th 2022

Razor : Gem Junior bar, Mfg 1907-11, Great tame mid range, very enjoyable shave this morning, Always look forward to using my Lather catchers. They are well built and also enjoyed by folks of that era. Brass & nickel coated construction. I always show the front of the razor but the back side is a work of art with script also as you will see.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(2) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap : Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore, nice mild scent of vanilla and green tobacco scent.
Brush : Yaqi 24 mm Moka synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrub + excellent painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :9/10 or CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Gem Jr bar with a coated Gem blade.
SOTD May 24 2022 Gem jr Back.jpg

Have some great shaves!

This morning was safety razor day:
• Timeless Ti Scalloped .95 plate.
• Fine shaving barber blue soap.
• Nivea face scrub for shower prep.
• Olive oil bar soap for pre-shave.
• Astra platinum blade, (new).
• Thayers Witch Hazel post shave face.
• Duke Cannon after shave balm.
• Fine barber blue aftershave back neck.
• Today the judge awards a 10. This was first time to use an Astra blade in my new Timeless Ti and it worked like a charm. The scalloped head .95 mowed down 2 day growth quickly and efficiently. I do not have a thick beard, but scruffy when I miss a day.

Attachments

• DF8B0203-1D58-40E1-B75F-D53E03EDE053.jpeg
    DF8B0203-1D58-40E1-B75F-D53E03EDE053.jpeg
    779.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 31EC8FBF-9CD9-4180-8C42-611A018DC640.jpeg
    31EC8FBF-9CD9-4180-8C42-611A018DC640.jpeg
    955 KB · Views: 9
@nicked78 - Happy Birthday and many more!

Travel SOTD (14)- our 16th day away from home; still in the suburbs of New York. Today's shave was two pass shave that resulted in a BBS-, 10-/10:

Razor: RR Lupo AL
Blade: KCG (2)- super smooth and very close
Soap: Mogno- nice very mild scent, good lather
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia 22mm two-band badger

PXL_20220524_140446598.jpg

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Merkur 34C

Astra SP 2nd use

Conk almond. Good lather and fairly slick.

DSC Amici boar brush. Backbone with a little scruff. Great for digging in and loading hard soaps. I always load up the brush and then go to a bowl even when the soap is already in a mug. IMO that gives me better control of the lather.

Thayers witch hazel
Cella green aftershave
Proraso white balm

Alum feedback. Face-0. Neck-0.

Comfortable shave, not super close. Maybe that’s why my alum feedback was 0.

8/10
6E14093A-1208-476C-8FDC-DC91CE1F941F.jpeg

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Razor: Gillette Fatboy
Blade: Lord Platinum
Brush: Paladin Samurai in Honey Noir
Soap: ETHOS Vanilla Safi
Aftershave: Captain’s Choice Italia

The Shave: WTG x2 on 9 and ATG on 6 for an excellent shave.

2nd use of ETHOS and the lather for my first pass wasn’t great, but it was still very slick. Lather was subsequently dialed in for next two passes.

Fatboy cult razor, FAD, greatest razor of all time? Lots of differing opinions, I just know that I really enjoy using it and get nice shaves. Plus we have the same nickname!

The Captain’s Choice Italia pairs nicely with the ETHOS Vanilla Safi, excellent scents that compliment each other without overpowering the other.

The brush, looks and performs exceptionally well. I love me some Paladin brushes.

9/10 deduction for my 1st lather, needed to work it more. User error.
View attachment 1461090
Nice looking brush!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
This morning was safety razor day:
• Timeless Ti Scalloped .95 plate.
• Fine shaving barber blue soap.
• Nivea face scrub for shower prep.
• Olive oil bar soap for pre-shave.
• Astra platinum blade, (new).
• Thayers Witch Hazel post shave face.
• Duke Cannon after shave balm.
• Fine barber blue aftershave back neck.
• Today the judge awards a 10. This was first time to use an Astra blade in my new Timeless Ti and it worked like a charm. The scalloped head .95 mowed down 2 day growth quickly and efficiently. I do not have a thick beard, but scruffy when I miss a day.
I don't own a Timeless razor... but I just love the two Titanium Crown handles I purchased from them. Amazing... beautiful... and very functional as well.

Razor: Wilkinson Vintage Edition DE TTO
Blade: Mühle (corked, 3rd use)
Preshave: Shower
Soap: Proraso green
Aftershave: Denim Tribal

Rating: 9/10 DFS+ but..
Note: this razor is often described as “mild” but I would not recommend to someone who just started with wet shaving as it is quite unforgiving. I have to be as focused as with R41. Why? Because it’s protruding sides of a blade can hurt you and very edge on each side as well, just like happened to me today. I was just finishing shave no nicks no nothing some buffing under my nose and I catched accidentaly with side of protruding blade over my nostril (some blood).
495A9622-83E6-4AB1-9BD1-EB75D1C9C86B.jpeg

Wolfman WR2 1.25,GWS(1),Tallow Tabac,Simpsons Tulip1,Thayers,Clubman aftershave,Nivea sensitive.Second shave with the Wolfman and loving this razor.I need to work on my angles get it right and it's really smooth and efficient get it wrong and it lets you know.Got a slight cut on my chin through inexperience but once i get the hang of it i'm sure this razor is going to be great for me.3 passes with minimum pickups got me BBS.I'll give it a 9/10 today.Take care happy shaves everyone.
20220524_183018[1].jpg

20220509_080129.jpg

Razor: Rex Supply Ambassador
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
Brush: Simpson Emperor 3 Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Long Rifle Hunting Lodge
Aftershave: Long Rifle Bay Rhum Shave Tonic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Razor: Wilkinson Vintage Edition DE TTO
Blade: Mühle (corked, 3rd use)
Preshave: Shower
Soap: Proraso green
Aftershave: Denim Tribal

Rating: 9/10 DFS+ but..
Note: this razor is often described as “mild” but I would not recommend to someone who just started with wet shaving as it is quite unforgiving. I have to be as focused as with R41. Why? Because it’s protruding sides of a blade can hurt you and very edge on each side as well, just like happened to me today. I was just finishing shave no nicks no nothing some buffing under my nose and I catched accidentaly with side of protruding blade over my nostril (some blood).View attachment 1461204

Dude, you got the proraso shave bowl! If I remember correctly, I recommended that to you, for a good quality cheap plastic bowl. I truly hope that you love it, and the way you can whip up a lather in only 30-seconds in it. Plus you could drop it, and it won't break! And I see your even using the matching Proraso GREEN shave soap, thats some good stuff for a cheap soap, I was kind of surprised. I've never tried that aftershave though, is it good?

Once your in this hobby for at least a month of wet shaving, then you will be hunting down the artisan soaps. When your ready to begin looking, there are two major brands that I recommend that make high quality soap, yes, other then Tabac. Captains Choice, and Stirling Soaps. Both have quality soaps in that regard. I think this is the first SOTD post I've seen from you, I was very happy to see it!

I don't own a Timeless razor... but I just love the two Titanium Crown handles I purchased from them. Amazing... beautiful... and very functional as well.
Thanks Phoenixkh!!! I am very happy with them and was pleasingly surprised when I started using and how comfortable it felt in my hand.
I have ordered the Spiral for a little variety and can’t wait to see how it feels. A little shorter handle yes, but a nice looking addition when it arrives in a day or two.

Top Bottom