What's new

Do you find it hard to go back to milder razors after using aggressive ones regularly?

I use a R41 2013, Ikon 104 tech and a clone KAI kamisori in rotation.

I gave one mild razor away and the others are sleeping in my razor museum.

Sorry,but no way am I going back to mild mode.

I have sensitive skin and use ice cold water to shave - the less passes the better.

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
This has been one I’ve been mulling over since @SharpieB wrote it and I’ve realized that it’s whichever razor that lets me use it the way I want to use it is the one I prefer regardless of where it is on the aggressive/docile spectrum and regardless of how much I reveal where I am on another spectrum describing it.

I think @Whilliam said it best elsewhere:

I believe that within limits, a tool can teach you how it likes to be used. I've found it to be true with razors, firearms and fountain pens. Pay a bit of attention initially, then it all becomes second-nature. If not, use a different tool, lest you always find yourself in conflict--a battle the razor will always win.

Not so much. My Techs are mild; my adjustables I run at middle-level settings, so they're a bit aggressive, not much. I find no trouble switching back and forth.

Using a mild or aggressive razor really depends on your type of skin and how course is your facial hair. I have thick, rubbery skin and very course facial hair which requires an aggressive razor with very sharp blades. I can get a good shave with a milder razor but it takes much longer as it clogs too quickly and must be rinsed out too often. I like my Merkur slant since it does not clog as quickly and I can use the open side of the razor to surgically go after stubborn areas such as my upper lip under my nose and my chin.

If I could use a milder razor without spending the extra time I would do it. I love the weight and knurling of some of my vintage razors, just not willing to spend the extra time needed.

For quite a while I was chasing daily BBS, with mixed results. The ATT S1 I have was best for this style. Now still using this razor I’ve changed my approach to a 2 pass WTG call it good shave because it was taking too long before. I’m happy with my new approach. Sad however because I sold a number of potentially efficient razors that I didn’t get to go for DFS with, which may have been fun in rotation. Definitely a learning experience. Currently tending to settle into using a lone moderate razor exclusively for consistent results.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have been shaving with aggressive razors steadily for a couple of months. R41, WR2 1.55, Charcoal Goods Level 3, etc. Yesterday I pulled out a WCS Lithe razor for Vendor Week, which is about as mild as they come. Had a wonderful shave with it. I wasn’t as mega close, but it was an enjoyable and very adequate shave.

I have sensitive skin too, and I shave with cold water. I will soon be testing a last soft head which is a copy of the Merkur 15c head by Yaqi.

If nothing fits, I would test the aggressive Knight Helmet.
I have a lot of soft razors that sleep in a carton box and I'm tired of them :a52:

I do not have sensitive skin nor am I chasing a BBS daily.
I have been using SE razors exclusively for a year or better now and find them more to my liking than the DE razors.

I use a Razorock Hawk V3 (which is quite mild) every day with a Kai Titan regular. I face lather and run a quick two pass and done. Speed is essential, especially on weekdays. I'll use the same blade 'till I lose count. But once I get nicked a few shaves in a row, I know that it's finally time to replace the blade.

The weekend is a different story.
I take my time and enjoy my "hobby".
I use a King Cobra with a Feather Professional, and I better be on my "A-Game" when I use that combo or else I'm going to be using styptic like it's an alum block. I take my time, use better prep, one of my more fancy soaps, bowl lather . . . you know, all the good pampering things I can do. SWMBO might complain a little about how much time I take, but she changes her tune when she kisses me.

So to answer the original question, I really have no issues changing from a very mild razor to a very aggressive razor (and vice versa)
So I chock it up to knowing;
  1. my own face and skin
  2. the razors and blades that I use
  3. the soaps and creams and how they perform
  4. the technique that incorporates all the above
I hope that helps.

In the past i have had issues with over shaving if i use a mild razor and a blade like the Feather. If i use a DE razor i have been using more efficient razors most of the time. Today i tried my Tatara with the Masamune OC base plate and top cap. I used a Astra blade, which i consider a medium sharp blade. I only did one pass across the grain and one against the grain. I was really impressed by the result. Mild blade in a mild razor with a little more pressure and more speed then i use with more efficient razor got me really good results. I do like the feedback of a more efficient razor, but this razor sings when it cuts, which is nice:)
With only one day of growth i think this works better for me. I still think i prefer more efficent razors for days with more then one day of growth. Maybe i need to reconsider.
I think going from efficient to milder razor works fine, but i do think there is a limit if you have more then a day of growth.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I like singing razors! It's my eternal pain that one of my favorites, the Wunderbar, is such a silent stubble slayer.

I think what I like most about aggressive razors in general is that they usually have a wide gap or other characteristics that allow me to shave as steep or riding the bar/cap as I want, and they will still cut nicely.

Many mild razors require a certain angle to shave at all or lock you into a certain angle (Henson e.g.), being able to vary the angle helps me to adjust somewhat in problematic or sensitive spots. I like that. It also makes the shave a bit more fun and engaging for me.

I like singing razors! It's my eternal pain that one of my favorites, the Wunderbar, is such a silent stubble slayer.

I think what I like most about aggressive razors in general is that they usually have a wide gap or other characteristics that allow me to shave as steep or riding the bar/cap as I want, and they will still cut nicely.

Many mild razors require a certain angle to shave at all or lock you into a certain angle (Henson e.g.), being able to vary the angle helps me to adjust somewhat in problematic or sensitive spots. I like that. It also makes the shave a bit more fun and engaging for me.
That is the reason i will never get rid of my R41. It shaves at almost any angle, and you know what the blade is doing. I shave every day, so it makes less sense to use it as a daily driver though. I need stubble to shave the next day:)

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.

I trust you have a Blackbird? It is the Luciano Pavarotti of the DE world.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I swap and change. Every razor paired with with a compatible blade has it’s sweet spot. Even though I don’t always connect.

Reactions: jmd
I do enjoy the aggressive ones, but there's no problem switching to something milder. Sometimes that's enough. I keep a few mild razors around such as a Muhle R89 or Gillette Tech from the 1940s.

I got rid of the R41 en Fatip (grande and piccolo), while keeping the R89, Tech. For a daily shave I'd rather use the milder ones. For multiple days of growth, I still have RR Sloc, which does some serious whacking too, while remaining comfortable. So no more aggressive razors for me.

PS: I consider Super speed, Rocket, etc. also as mild/medium razors

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I trust you have a Blackbird? It is the Luciano Pavarotti of the DE world.
Yes, even both plates. I like the SB more, it seems to sing more easily, while the OC is not quite as loud when I ride the cap, as this razor likes it, particularly with the OC. My problem with the OC is that I shave by default STEEP. And if I do that with the Blackbird OC, it's not only the razor who is screaming! :biggrin1:

P.S. the mere mention of your name reminded me to finally get Proraso Green. I skipped getting it when I got the Styletto razor on the Rasoigoodfellas website during the Black Friday sale as their website was already buckling and had a queue (!). I was happy when my order checked out.

I'll shave with the same razor over and over without much care, and when I do change the tricky part is adjusting to a different weight.

Heavier to lighter requires more focus of me to not look for the weight of the head. It is instructive for when I go lighter to heavier to, again, same thing, not look for the weight of the head.

[edit to add: I swap out handles some and probably upset the intended balance some, so there's that.]

If mastering aggressive razors teached me one thing it is more appreciation for mild razors. In my early DE-days a more aggressive razor seemed easier as you have more freedom of shaving angles; it is easier to get your stubble off. Thanks to their aggressiveness they also teach you to take care and become more aware during the shave.

At B&B (and in general everywhere else too) there is the adage that a beginner should start with a mild razor and e.g. the Tech is seen as a beginners razor but I couldn't disagree more. As a beginner you should start somewhere in the middle; you might get hurt a few times but your learning curve will be way steeper. Don't go to very mild razors before you developped your skills so that you can actually use and appreciate them. It is with a mild razor that you can show yourself to be master of the art; anyone can mow down stubble (and skin, and jawbone :biggrin: ) with an aggressive razor.

My 2 cts.

Top Bottom