What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

- Brush: ShaveMac Beagle
- Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.35SB
- Blade: Personna Israeli Red
- Soap: Tallow and Steel Madagascar
- Aftershave: Tallow and Steel Madagascar
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

Quick two pass shave before heading out to the cottage.

Very nice Shave - close to BBS. The Personna in my Wolfman is another excellent combo. 👍

Tallow and Steel is very good soap as is the AS. Very unique scents With excellent performance. The Beagle is turning into one of my favourites as it opens up.

9/10

687EEE82-0AAA-46F1-8FA4-6619AC71A71D.jpeg

First Shave Rating 10/10 BBS Time 20 minutes

Razor Maxwell June
Blade Gillette Nacet
Lather Edge Gel Sensitive Skin

I tried to approach the shave as a cartridge shaver. For the most part I probably used too little pressure. That is from my DE shaving experience. At times I did intentionally apply pressure that I never would with a DE razor. I had no weepers or irritation. The razor does give good audible feedback. If the angle is wrong it just doesn't cut. I struggled a little with razor angle. The handle needs to be close to a 45 degree angle and I am used to a much steeper angle. New razor new techniques required. I liked the audible feedback and I did have to do a lot of blade buffing to take my stubble down. You know when the razor is quiet it is time to move to another area. I did XTG one way and XTG the other. When I was a cartridge shave that is all I used to do. I could have stopped there with a CCS/DFS but I did my usual ATG and I achieved BBS. This is not an aggressive razor but for me, getting to BBS took more blade buffing/ razor strokes than I normally do. Once again could be I need to develop a better technique for this razor. Skin stretching definitely helps. I wet my face beforie applying canned goo for each pass but I forgot for my final pass so the lather was thick and clingy. It took a little more work to rinse the head clean when the lather was too thick. Once I was done I skipped the alum (never used it when I shaved with cartridges) but I did follow up with Captain's Choice Venture aftershave. There was some minor feedback with the aftershave in my trouble spots where it took more attention (I experience the same with all razors) but it is not to be confused with irritation as I had no irritation. I felt the handle was a little thin and the whole razor is much lighter than I am used to but I had no issues with gripping the razor and never felt like it might slip from my grasp. Feeling my face now an hour and half later it is as smooth as a porpoise's skin and I feel no razor burn.

This razor is easy on your skin. It would make a great choice for any shaver but I think those coming from cartridge razors would appreciate it most. If I had a teen shaver in my house this is the razor I would get them. Since the head doesn't pivot it also teaches the importance of maintaining the proper angle which is a good skill to learn if moving on to a typical DE razor. I will be using it more with different razor blades. I felt like my time of 20 minutes is a good 5 to 10 minutes quicker than my normal shave routine with a DE razor using shaving soap, bowl and brush.

MJ SOTD.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Last edited:
My Friday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Henry Graves​
Pre-Shave: None
Brush: Elite Razor Spalted (‘rotten wood‘) Maple - Full Moon Synthetic 26mm knot​
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Unscented​
Facial Toner: Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm​
9.0/10 A close, nick free and irritation free shave...

Friday Evening Shave

Prep: Shower and face washed using Eucerin Face and Body Wash
Razor: 1953 Gillette Super Speed
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword(India)
Pre Shave: Proraso White
Shaving Cream: Proraso White
Post Shave: Alum Block, Dickinsons Witch Hazel, Stridex pad on my lower neck, Skin Bracer splash, Nivea Cooling Post Shave Balm

Have to rate this shave a 9.5/10. Everything about it was very comfortable and smooth. Only going with 2 passes from here on out, WTG and XTG. Finally figured out the proper mapping and I realized on my face the XTG pass should go from the chin to the ear instead of the other way around as I have been doing. Zero irritation or razor burn and the only thing not making this a 10/10 were a few small nicks that were my own fault from a jittery hand. Overall a DFS that if you run my hands from top to bottom only, it feels BBS.

tempImageY71ZJP.jpg

Brush: PAA Green Ray
Lather: Stirling Island Man with six frost drops (not enough to really feel anything)
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1) -- felt a little less comfortable than the same blade on a second use
Razor: Blackland Blackbird

This setup felt a little aggressive today. BBS- results. One small dot of blood that closed before the shave was done. I stayed just on the comfortable side of pushing my luck... Rating: 9.1/10. Happy weekend to all.

Prep : Warm Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Feather Artist Club DX
Blade: Feather Super Professional Blade (D4)
Brush: Custom Semogue Silvertip Badger
Soap: Stirling Eucalyptus Mint
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + FA Speedster AS Lotion
Rating : 9.91/10 :pipe:

Very close, comfortable and smooth BBS in 3 passes ! :001_wub:

Sat 11 SR SOTD
Soap Ariana & Evans Kaizen
Brush Yaqi 24mm Ruby Tuxedo
Razor Red Imp 132
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + Bvlgari AS Balm & EDT
Very very nice performance from this soap. The scent is great, the lather is richly creamy and slick...
The Red Imp is back, freshly honed on Ozuku. Very nice edge...smooth and comfortable. 3passes for between ccs to sas result without any issues. The aftershaves were awesome. Rating 9.5/10
20210911_140814.jpg

Saturday morning.

Boker Celebrated Wenge scale 6/8 square point straight razor
Vie Long brown horse brush
Esteem "Primal" soap
Antonio Puig "Quorum" aftershave

One of the favourites, this Boker, and it did well today. I'd given myself a bit of a nick under the chin with the Focus shavette yesterday, but the Boker seemed to glide around that without aggravating things. If I didn't like it as much as I do, I'd wonder whether it was being smug.

The Vie Long does well with the Esteem soap, which is continuing to grow on me in terms of both performance and smell. I'd not used the aftershave for about a month - it's the current version, but one of the names I remember from back in the day.

On the cusp of full marks today, but since I'm not absolutely certain I'll call it a "9".

10/10
SOTD[emoji173]
- Blackland Brassbird OC
-Rapira Super Stainless (2nd)
-Sawdust Creations brush w/26mm shoat boar
-Capt Choice Copper Bowl

-PAA Ice Cube
-345 Soap Co. General Patton set

Excellent shave this morning. I think I've found the sweet spot angle with the OC. It's a more neutral angle than the SB Blackbird. I find with the SB you get the smoothest shave with a steep angle but the OC does better with a neutral angle.
proxy.php

Fayiz D.

- Brush: Simpson Emperor 3 Super
- Razor: 1930’s Gillette Goodwill
- Blade: Polish Polsilver Stainless (5)
- Soap: B&M Paganini’s Violin
- Aftershave: B&M Paganini’s Violin balm
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

Another excellent nighttime shave.

After using my new Wolfman for 8 consecutive shaves, I pulled out the old guy for a change. Not bad for a 80-90 year old razor. I have had it for years but always found it too aggressive. After using the Wolfman, GC Jaws, Karve OC-F, etc. for the last year, it is now just right. The Polsilver is done after 5 but still a great shave (last blade went 8).

The Paganini’s Violin soap is nearing its end but I have another tub and lots of balm left. Love this stuff. [emoji106] The Emperor 3 isn’t my favourite Simpson brush but it did the job. It just doesn’t hold enough lather compared to most of my other brushes.

DFS and almost BBS, but my neck isn’t as smooth as usual.

9/10

View attachment 1325663
The bottom band of growth on my neck goes up instead of down. I often get a; BBS everywhere except there.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

11 September 2021
20210911_055847_HDR.jpg

Prep:
Old Spice bar soap Using Omega—11126--Italy
Razor:
King C Gillette (KCG) Closed Comb—China & Germany
Cream:
Old Spice Original—India Until it is used up
Blade:
Azmusebat--Derby Premium—Turkey Shave #1
Brush:
Gray Dog—Ohio
Bowl:
Q-shave Scuttle
Passes:
WTG and ATG
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, f/b Witch Hazel f/b Alum rub down.
Aftershave:
Jeris Musk for Men—USA
Rating(s):
9.8 DFS+
Comments:
Nice break-in shave with a new blade. Today yielded only token stubble, but no nicks or weepers.

Razor: Rockwell T2 on 5
Blade: Gillette platinum (5)
Soap and Aftershave: Stirling Dunshire soap, Proraso alum bar, Stirling Dunshire Splash & Stirling Dunshire Balm
Rating: 7,5/10

First time I've dialed my adjustable to 5 and left it that way for an against the grain pass. I felt it was going wrong after having done half my face so I figured why not continue?
Only ended up with one small nick but there was lots of redness that didn't seem to go away right after I applied the alum, AS and balm. Redness took like 30 minutes to dissapear.

IMG_20210911_132938.jpg

Razor: IKON Teflon Coated Solid Bar on a RazoRock 316 SS UFO Handle
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (2)
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Moka Express, Two Band Badger
Bowl: Captain's Choice Ceramic

Lather: Stirling Glacial Wintergreen Soap
First use

Osage Rub Aftershave Toner

My face feels chiseled!
The Stirling Wintergreen was a wonderful experience. Three passes with the IKON Teflon was great. The Glacial Wintergreen Witch Hazel & Aloe made me feel like I was smashing hotel pillow mints on my face [emoji16].I let that settle in while I poured a cup of coffee and then I got to the Osage Rub. It provided a great burn. The post shave products really tightened up my skin.
Some days it all comes together.
BBS 10

Have a great day everyone [emoji106]
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom