What's new

Where to buy Canada shaving soap (US)

Eben Stone

Staff member
I've read a few posts saying this stuff is amazing. But searching google doesn't give me any useful results. Where can you buy this stuff in the U.S.?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Interesting. Hadn’t heard of this company. Look forward to seeing some reviews. The price seems high. Their marketing materials on their site seem pretty over the top and aimed at someone who has never heard of de shaving or using a brush. Also have not seen any reviews for the blades they offer. Their website has some typos too and bad if I spot them. No details on the knot on the $70 synthetic shaving “rush” it’s exquisite and top notch. And long lasting? All the marketing seems off to me.

Interesting. Hadn’t heard of this company. Look forward to seeing some reviews. The price seems high. Their marketing materials on their site seem pretty over the top and aimed at someone who has never heard of de shaving or using a brush. Also have not seen any reviews for the blades they offer. Their website has some typos too and bad if I spot them. No details on the knot on the $70 synthetic shaving “rush” it’s exquisite and top notch. And long lasting? All the marketing seems off to me.
The price for their soap is quite high, but the quality of the soap I have received is IMO worth it. As to their other products, those seemed to me like typically overpriced rebranding/reselling from a wet shaving start up. Since I read about the soap here on B&B from a Canadian member, I rolled the dice on a puck and it worked out well enough that I ordered a second- YMMV. Here's a picture of my second puck after about 15 shaves, I've just started to make an impression in the center:

PXL_20210514_141937098.jpg

Agreed on all points here... I really don't understand why producers would not include an ingredients list for their soap on the product page.

I think I was the first to discover Canada Shaving Soap.
Small company. All they make is one soap. They carry a couple products on their website, razor, brush, blades etc just to accommodate someone that may just want to start out. My Buddy is still a cart shaver but bought the brush along with the soap because he didn’t have one, and it was handy.
Price-wise, there are a lot of more expensive soaps out there. I’ve been using this soap for over three months and the level is still the same as when I got it. It will outlast most soaps by four times easily.
The quality is undisputed by anyone who has used it.

This soap is also available on Amazon.ca. I think I was the first to post a review.

Heres something I posted back in January.
I had never heard of this soap before. I only noticed it because Canada is a small market. This is the only product this company makes. Expensive...$41CAD.
Claims - for sensitive skin...only six ingredients.
- super creamy lather with unequalled glide using less than half than regular soap
- Triple milled...aged 6 months
- Unscented
This soap had me intrigue. I had to take a chance and order it.
E0450234-ACEA-4277-B587-A3621AADC682.jpeg

1408B6AB-8A7C-43A6-9FA0-90338AF32741.jpeg

This is definitely the hardest soap I have yet to own.
91F0CE3F-9007-4356-8AAA-A248C2710C84.jpeg

D3EEC66A-2BD9-44A4-BE73-A836035AD5C9.jpeg

ADFFCCA1-A6AD-483C-B082-57F59CAE4C31.jpeg

The synthetic fibres are tangibly soft, extremely long-lasting, and completely vegan-free. These fibres quickly create luscious creamy lather from all shaving soaps and creams. These fibres are a snap to wet and yet dry very quickly once your shave is complete.

So, does that mean no vegans were used in making this brush?

What kills me is the marketing story. Of course, the guy tried every soap available and none of them would work for him, so he had to make his own!

What miracle product did he choose to create? A clone of Martin de Candre Natural with added glycerin! Of course, obviously that's the answer!

There are many other soapmakers that make essentially the same soap, based on the ingredient list.

Martin de Candre Shaving Soap Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Aqua, Coconut Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin
1621018893976.png

Last edited:
I really don’t know why everyone is getting so upset. It’s a soap. It’s a very good soap. What is your need to compare it to other soaps.
I think it’s one of the best soaps I own…and I own a lot. I think my opinion should be worth something seeing as @RenoRichard and I are the only two members in this thread that actually have it and use it.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’m not upset at all. Just the marketing copy on the website is way off the charts on the schmaltzy scale. It’s almost silly that makes me wonder about the product generally. The website “reviews” also seem like they were written in the same voice as the copy editor suggesting some funny business. But I’m Glad to see some reviews and folks who have used the soap though.

I'm not upset. Call it a pet peeve involving marketing. It's just my B.S. meter getting pegged.

1621022336656.png

There were some shavings soaps on the market, so I gave those a try. But all of them either produced a shaving cream that was watery and thin, or they contained ingredients and/or fragrances that irritated my skin. I eventually came to the conclusion that the product I needed did not exist, and that it was up to me to create my own shaving soap.

I put on my chemists’ hat and went to work. My goal was a shaving soap that was entirely fragrance and perfume free, made with friendly ingredients that would produce a dense, luxurious, shaving lather with great glide and slip.

It took me two years of trial and error, ordering from, and badgering, suppliers in far off Asia to send me the exotic ingredients I needed for the trial-and-error experimentation in the development of a face-friendly product. I finally created a shaving soap that, in my humble opinion, provides the most luxurious shaving lather I’ve ever experienced. It’s now the centerpiece of my personal shaving system. Not only is it luxurious, it’s also face-friendly, and provides unparalleled glide and slip for my razor. My product is made with only 6 simple ingredients. I also age it for a minimum of 6 months of before I will allow it to be sold, so it is a very time consuming and costly product to make. But the result?…..Pure bliss! This product turns the dreaded chore of shaving into a highly anticipated morning ritual.

After years of trial and error, he produced basically another version of the same soap as Martin de Candre has been making forever. Quite a few other artisans came to the same conclusion without spending years to do it. Other artisans probably just got the recipe and instructions from a website somewhere. OK, then.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, why does it matter of he's used it out not? Some of the folks on this thread inquired about the ingredients used, and once they were listed, @Atlantic59 simply pointed out the similarity to other soaps. He didn't say that Canada is crap, in fact, he noted similarities to a couple very fine soaps. I don't see why his opinion on the ingredients used is any less valid than anyone's opinion on the performance.

What kills me is the marketing story. Of course, the guy tried every soap available and none of them would work for him, so he had to make his own!

What miracle product did he choose to create? A clone of Martin de Candre Natural with added glycerin! Of course, obviously that's the answer!

There are many other soapmakers that make essentially the same soap, based on the ingredient list.

Martin de Candre Shaving Soap Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Aqua, Coconut Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin
View attachment 1266594
Indeed it has an ingredient list similar to MdC and quite a few others, the only difference I noted to MdC was the addition of a second lye- sodium hydroxide. When I first tried Canada, it reminded me of how MdC feels and works. WSP is high on my list to try when I get back to Arizona; I'm planning to drive out there and pay them a visit.

The fact that Canada soap has a basic formula I find reassuring; I like ingredient lists that are short and I understand. Using very high quality ingredients has made MdC quite successful over the years. And from the quality of the shaves I've been getting from Canada, the ingredients may well be of the very highest quality. Simple, but good is just fine with me.

I’m not upset at all. Just the marketing copy on the website is way off the charts on the schmaltzy scale. It’s almost silly that makes me wonder about the product generally. The website “reviews” also seem like they were written in the same voice as the copy editor suggesting some funny business. But I’m Glad to see some reviews and folks who have used the soap though.
I too was leery when I first looked at the website. It has some contradictions, in addition to the hype; in one place it says the soap is aged five months and in another place it says six months. I gave the soap a go despite that, after reading what @ouchyfoot wrote. I'm really happy I did, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow's shave with it.

…so you’re just thinking out loud…with no hands on experience?
I'm really not attacking the soap. It seems to be a fine soap. Just not all that different from others with a similar formula. Have you tried WSP Rustic? It's very good.

Six ingredients. Making soap is basically chemistry, no one is painting the Mona Lisa.

I have a recipe for johnny cakes with six ingredients. I know how to make johnny cakes. I've made them many times. I've had johnny cakes made by others. Do I need to sample the johnny cakes at your local diner to know what johnny cakes are like? Hopefully not.

Anyway, sorry to seem argumentative. That wasn't my intent.

I'm really not attacking the soap. It seems to be a fine soap. Just not all that different from others with a similar formula. Have you tried WSP Rustic? It's very good.

Six ingredients. Making soap is basically chemistry, no one is painting the Mona Lisa.

I have a recipe for johnny cakes with six ingredients. I know how to make johnny cakes. I've made them many times. I've had johnny cakes made by others. Do I need to sample the johnny cakes at your local diner to know what johnny cakes are like? Hopefully not.

Anyway, sorry to seem argumentative. That wasn't my intent.
Don’t worry. Im sure that being in CoVid lockdown mode for so long has caused me to be bit irascible lately. I’m aware that I was being a little overly defensive today

Top Bottom