What's new

Hot dogs anyone?

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
don't even say "mayonnaise" near my hot dog.

But surely you wouldn't say no to a Carolina Slaw Dog?

1617826747780.png

I usually do my dogs in the toaster oven to give the skin a good snap and usually wait till they crack (I do this with kielbasa too). Preferred toppings are sauerkraut and brown mustard, but almost anything except ketchup is fine by me.

Every once in a while I enjoy a good hot dog, boiled or BBQ style on a bun. And for toppings I enjoy raw onions, mustard, and sauerkraut. A side of fries and a coke. How about you? How do you like your hot dogs?
That's how I like my Costco dogs, but the mustard is deli mustard. That said, I wish Costco would bring back the sauerkraut. Since the pandemic, my local Costco stopped carrying sauerkraut in the food court. Similarly, I really wish Costco would bring back the Polish dog to the food court.

My favorite hot dog is the Chicago Dog. IME, in Chicago, the best Chicago Dogs came from random hole in the wall restaurants that hung a Vienna sausage sign outside the place. Some of these restaurants also served a Vienna sausage with a grilled Italian sausage. The best way to get that, IMHO, was with some grilled onions and peppers.

But my favorite place that specializes in serving a cooked sausage in a split bun is Top Dog in Berkeley. They had a variety of sausages, including smoked chicken apple, linguica, hot links, and so many others I don't remember. The topping choices were pretty much limited to sauerkraut, onions, mustard, and ketchup, not that the sausages needed any or all of those toppings.

Other than that, Pink's in Los Angeles is fantastic for variety. They have way too many different varieties of hot dogs. Of the handful I've tried, all have been delicious. The only drawback to Pink's is that it's so poular (1) the lines are ridiculously long and (2) seating is hard to find.

Also, there's something about getting a freshly grilled bacon wrapped street dog with pepper and onions in Los Angeles after watching a Lakers game at Staples Center. It's a delicious way to end the evening.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
All beef for me. Done on a flat top. You have to score the dogs on the top on a diagonal four or five places along the length. Old fashioned bun . . . the ones where the sides are white bread. Buttered and on the old grill press that was a feature on a flat top (but no more). Mustard, onion, relish, lettuce or sauerkraut. Maybe some hot peppers.

I don't have a flat top. Strangely we had hot dogs for lunch today. Dogs in carbon steel pan and buns, Italian crustini, buttered and browned in a separate pan.

I've not seen rolls like this for a long time . . . these are what I was calling old fashioned.
1617834850622.png

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
That's how I like my Costco dogs, but the mustard is deli mustard. That said, I wish Costco would bring back the sauerkraut. Since the pandemic, my local Costco stopped carrying sauerkraut in the food court. Similarly, I really wish Costco would bring back the Polish dog to the food court.

Pretty hard to beat the old Costco Dog/Soda combo for $1.50 in terms of value. It's kind of like the Arko of hot dogs :biggrin:

Chicago dog. This thread is killing me...

View attachment 1248035

Any fellow Gen X'rs remember that old stalwart of the shopping mall food court, Frank 'n Stein? They served all the different hot dogs and beer. Place had great french fries as well..... That's where I remember first discovering there was such a thing as a "Chicago Dog"

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I like 'em all...dirty water, pan fried split or not, grilled, even microwaved or off of that twirly thing in a 7-11. I like Chicago, Sonoran, chili, slaw (which as West Virginians know is a chili dog topped with cole slaw), etc. However, my standard dog is pan fried and topped with Mister Mustard and onion. Sauerkraut is welcome. So is onion sauce. I love natural casings, Nathan's, Sabrett's, and plenty of obscure ones. The Ballpark "lean" are only 80 calories and darned good.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I grew up in Chicago and I think I’ve eaten more hot dogs than Matlock. I just had a Chicago style dog yesterday. I live outside the city now, but there is a place near my house that makes a pretty good dog. For me it’s Vienna natural casing on a steamed poppy seed bun with onion, mustard, relish, tomato, sport peppers and a pickle slice. Definitely no ketchup. For me, my trip to the hot dog place is a religious experience. I walk in, put my hands together, bow and say “make me one with everything.”

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
And for toppings I enjoy raw onions, mustard, and sauerkraut.

That's my way too ... but with the onions fried.

Oh, and if any of you hotdog fans visit Vancouver sometime ...

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Any fellow Gen X'rs remember that old stalwart of the shopping mall food court, Frank 'n Stein?

There was one in the food court of a mall outside of Nashville when we were there in the early '90s. We'd make a trip over there from time to time. That was fun!

As a boy, I loved dressing my dogs with sweet relish.

When I became a man, it was mustard for me.

Fried in butter, boiled, steamed at the ball park, or microwaved dressed with yellow, brown or dijon, they are all delicious.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
As a boy, I loved dressing my dogs with sweet relish.

When I became a man, it was mustard for me.

Fried in butter, boiled, steamed at the ball park, or microwaved dressed with yellow, brown or dijon, they are all delicious.
Ever go to Eddie Andelman's Hot Dog Safari? I ate 17 hotdogs there one year. I had a pounding headache for a solid week afterwards. I assume it was nitrate poisoning.

Top Bottom