What's new

Hot dogs anyone?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I love hot dogs. Out here in Australia ours are sold pretty plain. Hot dog bun, frankfurt heated in hot water and then just plain old tomato sauce. I like butter or margarine on mine. Simple but oh so tasty.

I haven't had one in a few years but there is a place in Clifton, NJ called Rutt's Hut. They have a fried hot dog called a "ripper." It is topped off by their "secret relish." It is a treat and one of the few things I miss when I moved out of NJ.

1617892031599.png

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
There was one in the food court of a mall outside of Nashville when we were there in the early '90s. We'd make a trip over there from time to time. That was fun!

Must have either been the Bellevue Mall in west Nashville or Cool Springs in Brentwood/Franklin, yes?

Fried potatoes and hotdogs. Slice them length wise and brown in a pan for a hotdog sandwich. Sourkraut with mustard or a chili dog with onions and cheese.

+1 for Sabrett when in NYC, Vienna Beef in Chicago, and Hebrew National at home. Grilled at home but however served on the road... deli mustard.. sourkraut... done. It's only 8:30am as I write this and now i want a hotdog!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Years ago in graduate school I lived just down the street from an Aldi market. There are some things where buying the cheapest possible product actually works. They used to have a garlic Polish hotdog in big packs. I'd buy one occasionally and break it down into single servings (four sausages...I was a Big Eater(tm) then) and freeze them.

With some cheap white buns, a little mustard and some Red Dog beer (and a baseball game on the radio...the only way I like baseball), "you had you a meal."

Plank Road discontinued Red Dog, which gave me the needed push to finish my dissertation and move to Canada.

O.H.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Years ago in graduate school I lived just down the street from an Aldi market. There are some things where buying the cheapest possible product actually works. They used to have a garlic Polish hotdog in big packs. I'd buy one occasionally and break it down into single servings (four sausages...I was a Big Eater(tm) then) and freeze them.

With some cheap white buns, a little mustard and some Red Dog beer (and a baseball game on the radio...the only way I like baseball), "you had you a meal."

Plank Road discontinued Red Dog, which gave me the needed push to finish my dissertation and move to Canada.

O.H.

I remember drinking a Red Dog or two back in the '90's ;) Good Times! (This was long before I turned into the current beer snob I am now)

Sabrett and Hebrew National... NYC. Vienna Beef in Chicago. Mustard and Sauerkraut, never ketchup... Chicago fixins, of course when there. Knish and Dr. Browns Cel-Rey definitely in NYC. Also Papaya King in NYC for the locals who know. Heading to Costco for a dog, mustard, and soda pop. Buck fifty... 😉

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
When I lived in New England I really liked Pearl Country Clubs and Deutschmacher Deli Skinless, a mild, meaty wiener. Since moving to Ohio I enjoy Tony Packo's Hungarians, both the natural casing and the skinless varieties. Another good brand out here is Winter's.

I always liked Hebrew National knockwurst, but I haven't seen it in years. Boiled or steamed with Ba Tampte mustard, baked beans and steamed molasses brown bread with sweet butter melting into it... I feel the gas rising in my nether regions at the very thought of it...

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Ah, I'd forgotten Packo's from the Hungarian side of old Tooleedoo - best served with a side of their pierogies

Owen Bawn

Ah, I'd forgotten Packo's from the Hungarian side of old Tooleedoo - best served with a side of their pierogies
There's a neighborhood grocery store near me that sells them. You can order them online from Tony Packo's at about 4x the retail price.

Ever go to Eddie Andelman's Hot Dog Safari? I ate 17 hotdogs there one year. I had a pounding headache for a solid week afterwards. I assume it was nitrate poisoning.

17 hot dogs? Your a better man than I!

Although I was a fan of the Sunday night "sports huddle", I never made it to the hot dog safari.

My old friend Pete told the story of a 5K race in somerville that had multiple stops where you required to chug a beer and eat two hot dogs.

Owen Bawn

17 hot dogs? Your a better man than I!

Although I was a fan of the Sunday night "sports huddle", I never made it to the hot dog safari.

My old friend Pete told the story of a 5K race in somerville that had multiple stops where you required to chug a beer and eat two hot dogs.
Hah! I wrote a few gags that the Huddle used, actually. I used to run on Nantasket Beach with Jim McCarthy. He died in 2019. A great guy.

Owen Bawn

I remember hearing about Jim's passing. I feel lucky to have experienced radio while it still had programming with wit and humor.
Remember the "Doaka Cola" routine? That was one of my ideas. "Hello, hockey fans, this is Gary Doak of the Boston Bruins. All across the Dominion of Canada players are dropping their sticks and gloves for an ice cold glass of Doak-a-Cola. That's right-- why, Hodgy, Cashy, Espy, Sheppy, Cheesy, Raddy, Vaddy, Simmsy, Westie,... they're all enjoying that great taste of Doaka Cola. And now there's new Diet Doak... Doaka Cola... you're gonna drink it... just for the puck of it."

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I love hot dogs. Out here in Australia ours are sold pretty plain. Hot dog bun, frankfurt heated in hot water and then just plain old tomato sauce. I like butter or margarine on mine. Simple but oh so tasty.

Oh man . . . not even Catsup . . . going to the jugular with tomato sauce.

Top Bottom