What's new

Motorcycles

Legion

Staff member
I had a Honda 4 back in the late 70s. Loved it!
Mine is a '74 model, which makes it a birth year bike for me.

I bought it because it was the closest thing to a superbike I could afford back then, but they have increased in value in the last twenty years.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Mine is a '74 model, which makes it a birth year bike for me.

I bought it because it was the closest thing to a superbike I could afford back then, but they have increased in value in the last twenty years.
It was a great bike back in the day. I haven’t followed how the price has been going of recent. It was nice to ride a bike that you didn’t need to fill up with oil when you stopped for fuel. Ulike the old British bikes I owed. I have only ridden harleys in the last few decades. Sold most of them after the stroke but kept the Shovelhead on club plates.

I started riding later in life, at 36. It was perfect as I was stationed near Napa Valley and loved the area. When I retired and moved back to PA I didn't ride much. I had a Yamaha FZ7 and it was a great first bike. Then on August 29th 2019, after receiving notice of a new job I was recruited for, an old man pulled out in front of me from a side road.
IMG_2518.jpg

Long story short, please be safe and keep your eyes open. Wear the best gear you can afford, no matter how hot. If I didn't, I wouldn't be writing this. I miss riding, jealous!

My beginner bike!

Actually it's my getting back on 2 wheels bike. First bike was a Honda Nighthawk back in around 2001 and sold in 2004 which I rode on and let expire my motorcycle permit.

Bought this 2002 Vulcan Nomad in 2019 after 15-16 years off a bike. It was quite the enormous beast to come back to motorcycles. Have permit but can't get into the BRC which I want to do.

Last year in October coming home on a 2 lane straight State road with cars coming blinding me with LED lights, I was rolling off the throttle every group of cars that came by. As I rolled off to slow down a deer head appeared in my right auxiliary light. Smacked it's head and bent the lower wind deflector, front crash bar, and right side rear crash bar to protect the bags. Knocked me over to the double yellow, I recovered and couldn't believe I was still upright and riding. Pulled off the road and it took a good half hour before I could get back on. Bike is still perfectly ridable, just need new crash bars which I haven't gotten around to ordering yet.

Attachments

• 67348916_2415098062052382_9005017488664035328_n.jpg
    67348916_2415098062052382_9005017488664035328_n.jpg
    634 KB · Views: 12
I have ridden for most of my life. Owned several 70's japanese inline 4's. Man they are screamers.

Honda magna v4 is a brute too.

I love the new retros but have not ridden one.

Owned some two vtwin hondas, also nice bikes to cruise around.

Had a Nomad. Great touring bike. Road it ALL OVER!

Recently traded my 2009 CVO road glide (great tourer) for a 2002 Duece with a souped up 88" motor and 6 speed Ultra trans. Awesome bike but not sure how it will compare on the big slab cross country trips LOL. no windshield and less "comfort" but more "cool" factor haha. Sadly no pics :(

Wife rides a punched out 883 sporty. Fits her perfect.

I have ridden some sport bikes but I am not nearly intelligent enough, nor posses enough restraint, to own or ride one much. They just feel like they wanna go too FAST!

I rode most of my life, although I did retire from it eventually for health reasons. Started as a kid with Kawasaki 120 trail, then in rough order Suzuki 500 triple, Honda VR500 Ascot, BMW R75/5, BMW R75/6 (totaled :(), BMW R100S, BMW R90/6, BMW R100GS, Honda VFR 750, Honda GB500.

In high school I totalled my older brother's Honda 350 (which he was trying to sell at the time, oops), but I sold the salvage to a local builder and with the insurance payout my brother ended up with more $ than he was asking for, so he forgave me (maybe).

My beginner bike!

Actually it's my getting back on 2 wheels bike. First bike was a Honda Nighthawk back in around 2001 and sold in 2004 which I rode on and let expire my motorcycle permit.

Bought this 2002 Vulcan Nomad in 2019 after 15-16 years off a bike. It was quite the enormous beast to come back to motorcycles. Have permit but can't get into the BRC which I want to do.

Last year in October coming home on a 2 lane straight State road with cars coming blinding me with LED lights, I was rolling off the throttle every group of cars that came by. As I rolled off to slow down a deer head appeared in my right auxiliary light. Smacked it's head and bent the lower wind deflector, front crash bar, and right side rear crash bar to protect the bags. Knocked me over to the double yellow, I recovered and couldn't believe I was still upright and riding. Pulled off the road and it took a good half hour before I could get back on. Bike is still perfectly ridable, just need new crash bars which I haven't gotten around to ordering yet.

Glad you were able to keep it upright. The Vulcan is a great bike, very comfortable and with a lot of torque.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5791F303-28E8-48D9-991C-A906CAD09FF8.jpeg

Just a quick update. I’ve been riding off and on since I took the class. Not as much as I’d like. It’s been a real spring here in KS. Read it’s been raining for weeks straight. But there have been some windows.

I took the bike to my lot as pictured above, riding hilly gravel roads is a bit spooky for me at this stage. But it’s all good. I’m sure I’ll get there soon enough. I’m in no hurry, I’m off for a couple months starting next week, I’ll make up for it!

As a side note, I took the MSF class one year just for the heck of it, after already having ridden, a lot, for over 20 years. I was shocked, amazed, and impressed at how *good* that class was. What a great way to learn to ride. It also convinced me that I would never try to teach anyone else to ride, I'd just send them on to that class. Really good skills progression methods, and fun.

As a side note, I took the MSF class one year just for the heck of it, after already having ridden, a lot, for over 20 years. I was shocked, amazed, and impressed at how *good* that class was. What a great way to learn to ride. It also convinced me that I would never try to teach anyone else to ride, I'd just send them on to that class. Really good skills progression methods, and fun.
I couldn’t agree more!

I highly recommend the MSF to anyone who wants to ride.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Well, after years of talking about it, I decided now was the time to do something about it. Again. When I moved to KS I was pretty excited about the long riding season, so the first thing I did was sign up to get licensed. Everything was fine until my instructor (just before the test I might add) told me to try taking the corner faster. I gladly obliged, the did something stupid and high sided the bike. I couldn’t take the test, my right hand no longer worked. That was 13 years ago lol!

I‘m taking the class again April 8 to 11. I’m pretty excited! Moreover, I already bought a starter bike.

View attachment 1243332

It’s a Kawasaki Z400. It’ll do everything I need it to do until I’m ready to buy my “forever“ bike I figure. Should be fun too! Especially commuting to and from work.

I’m buying gear too - man I forgot how expensive it is to get into a new hobby. Helmet, Jacket, gloves. I got an airbag too! Why not? It’s just a vest I wear under my jacket! Pretty painless!

View attachment 1243334
Any of you just getting started? Any old vets?
I rode a 1996 Honda Goldwing for 18 years and had to put a trike kit on it when my balance issues started. I’ve gotten to the point that I walk with a cane to keep my balance and no longer feel safe on the trike. I’ll be getting it tuned up, cleaned up and put on the market.

I’m glad you mentioned protective gear. It makes me crazy to see people out there wit no helmet, short sleeved shirts, shorts and flip flops. They have no idea the pain that they could be in for.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I rode a 1996 Honda Goldwing for 18 years and had to put a trike kit on it when my balance issues started. I’ve gotten to the point that I walk with a cane to keep my balance and no longer feel safe on the trike. I’ll be getting it tuned up, cleaned up and put on the market.

I’m glad you mentioned protective gear. It makes me crazy to see people out there wit no helmet, short sleeved shirts, shorts and flip flops. They have no idea the pain that they could be in for.

Just recently started having hip issues and traded my Street Glide in on a Trike. It's really nice not to have to worry about having to hold up 800 lbs of motorcycle with a bad hip.

Last one
20170625_114405.jpg

New one

20210601_115154.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Was 13 years old when I got my first motorcycle. By the time I hit my late 20s, I had broken, dislocated or torn up pretty much every part of my body. Couldn't race motocross or dirt track anymore. Probably for the best because I sure wasn't any good at it - which is how I broke, dislocated or tore up pretty much every part of my body. :letterk1:

Never said I had any common sense - my Lovely Bride takes care of that part of my mental make-up. ;)

Now that I am older, and have mellowed out considerably, we are looking at the Can-Am Spyders 3-wheel bikes. :cool:

Top Bottom