What's new

what would you say is the best value for money de blades? sharpness, smoothness, cost etc

hello there so what would you say is the best value for money de blades? sharpness, smoothness, cost etc

this got me thinking because some people compare the gillette nacets and rubies yet the rubies cost twice the price,
so imo i cant justify the difference if its minimal tbh

If you don't like to shave with a particular blade, they are very expensive since you wasted money on them, no matter what they cost. Also, the best blade for you depends on which razor you're using. That's why people advise a blade sampler.

Still, it is difficult to go wrong with the more reasonably priced Russian blades from St. Petersburg, such as Nacet, Perma-Sharp Super, GSB, etc. Other people like some of the Lord blades, such as the Silver Star. BIC Chrome Platinum blades have their fans. Personna Lab Blue the same. You have to try them out.

Blade sampler, how a blade shaves is highly dependent upon the user and his face (assuming shaving a beard).

Personally Personna Lab Blues are it, good for about 120 shave and 15 cents each. Close behind are 7 O'Clock Blacks (Super Platinums) from India, probably as many shaves and super comfortable, not as cheap.

Plenty of good blades out there, get a sampler and shave away, you will find something that suits your shaving style and face.

Leaving personal preferences aside, that would depend on the cost per shave ratio, so durability could be an important factor. According to the following website, which you should take with a grain of salt, some durable blades are Wilkinson Sword Classic, Personna Lab Blue, Kai, Gillette Silver Blue, and Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum

Last edited by a moderator:
What they said, blade sampler. I started DE shaving in August and I am not done with my sample yet. I have more blades that I dislike than like and several I need to give another chance. It was rough at first but very rewarding once I found a blade that worked for me. Trial and error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
hello there so what would you say is the best value for money de blades? sharpness, smoothness, cost etc

this got me thinking because some people compare the gillette nacets and rubies yet the rubies cost twice the price,
so imo i cant justify the difference if its minimal tbh
If you enjoy traditional shaving you will find that razor blades are the cheapest part of the whole hobby or(chore for some) IMO. If you buy a 100 pc lots that is the best most cost effective way to purchase blades. When I first got into wet Shaving that was quick conclusion for me because living up in northern Canada it made sense cost effective(Drug stores want like $10per 10pcs). If your shave works out to $.03-.06 per shave that is really good. Some of the single edge systems work out to that sweet spot per shave also like Gem Personna SS PTFE blades and I get around 10 shaves per blade average for under $20 US per 100 pcs.
I made this simple photo chart of blades that I have used and should get a person in the ball park for a nice blade & cost because it is such a price oriented market for DE blades.
Personally I like the blades that are mostly in the Sharp & Smooth category crossing into the Sharpest category. The sharper the blade usually for myself it will give up a little smoothness but can be smoothed out with a milder razor IMO. Also a aggressive razor can be smoothed out with certain blades you will find as you test different ones. Enjoy trying different blades and you will enjoy that part of shaving because it is the cheapest part of the hobby I found.
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

For me razor blades are silly cheap. Over the 23 I've used since I started DE shaving four years ago, including a few duds, I'm averaging 63.8 shaves per blade. Good blades laste me more than 100 shaves, so even German Wilkinson Swords at 28 cents each have a vanishingly small cost per shave. I am quite certain I shall never use up my supply, as on average they should last me something like 400 years of daily shaves!

Soap is much more expensive per shave. Razor would be cheap if I hadn't bought 25 or so. I could easily just use one of my slants or a Gillette Adjustable though, and may pass along quite a few of the rest.

If you don't like to shave with a particular blade, they are very expensive since you wasted money on them, no matter what they cost. Also, the best blade for you depends on which razor you're using. That's why people advise a blade sampler.

Still, it is difficult to go wrong with the more reasonably priced Russian blades from St. Petersburg, such as Nacet, Perma-Sharp Super, GSB, etc. Other people like some of the Lord blades, such as the Silver Star. BIC Chrome Platinum blades have their fans. Personna Lab Blue the same. You have to try them out.
^^ This^^.
In addition resist the urge to stockpile 100s of blades of one variery once you you have found a good blade that works for you. In course of time your shaving technique might improve and then a blade that you already ditched might now be the even better suited blade for you.

The blade razor combination which

Gives you the most comfortable shave
Gives you the most effective shave
Outlasts all other blades.

For me that is a Kai in a broman

Outlasting other blades 3:1

And is utterly disastrous in other razors I have

So ymmv get a sampler pack

tip shave prep makes a big difference.
My broman is not to picky so far it shaves decent with most blades. It is handy to have a razor like that to finish the I tried but will not rebuy pile. Also the reason to try before you buy 1000 blades 😂

I own thousands of blades. You can get a decent shave from most of them. But so far, for me the wow moment came when I used a Gillette Nacet on a Gillette Tech razor. It cut like a hot knife through butter, and does so every time. So smooth and efficient, that I was starting to wonder if I had forgotten to put a blade in. Having said that, I like to switch it up, thus my hoarding of dozens of brands.

Most VFM blade is the one that doesn't misbehave during the shave, that allows me to achieve good shaves regularly without me needing to worry about it a lot, in short the blade which I understand and I'm able to work through it easily.

Expensive blades are which cut my face just because it can and I couldn't manage it.
Expense is the irritation and cuts we receive during a bad shave.

+100 (means I wholeheartedly agree and suggest) for some Blade sample pack.
Russian, Israeli, German whatever way you'll want to go, use each brand of blade atleast a few times, at different beard growth and razors (if you have many razor).
Some blades behave better with a razor while it may not yield good results with other razor.

My Razorock BBS loves aggressive blades, while Parker Variant likes more smoother blades.

Many types of packs are available, go crazy with them.
It'll not take you more than $20 (hopefully) to find the blade which suits you, if you get many sample blade packs containing 5 to 10 blades of each brand.

Chances are that you'll find a blade that agrees with your shave routine before you hit the last brand of sample pack, and then rest will be a history.

Top Bottom