What's new

Vulfix vs Simpsons

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Simpson - better quality hair, more dense knot, greater weight of hair in similar sized knot, hand tied knot, hand turned handle, superior fit and finish, more backbone and less floppy knot. For me there is simply no comparison, Simpson is far superior in every respect..... but some people prefer Vulfix, just as some prefer Kent. In truth both are probably perfectly fine but there would only be one choice for me of the two and it would be Simpson.

I have a vulfix 660 super badger.
It's not at all dense and quite floppy, I still like it though as the tips are untreated/not gelled.
(Untreated badger brushes are becoming rare these days!!)

The Simpson Commodore Best badger on the other hand is my favorite badger brush!
Perfect density, tip softness and the most gorgeous handle ever!

I've had around a dozen Simpson brushes over the years and 4-5 vulfix...there's no comparison, Simpson is far superior.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Aren’t vulfix knots hand tied... and some (not all) of their handles hand turned?

Density is the big difference imho. Vulfix handle quality and hair quality suffers in the cheaper brushes but is more similar in the pricier ones but density goes to Simpson.
I have to agree, I've had some great Vulfix products and they performed well, hand tied knots and lathe-turned handles. Hair quality is very good, I couldn't tell any difference except in density. Simpson really knows how to pack 'em!

In the past I couldn’t get behind the Vulfix Super hair, but I think integration of the two companies has gotten better over the years.

There is a difference between the density difference of Vulfix and Simpson. Simpson is the better packed of the two. I had a Vulfix 2234-36 in Super and they were not denseenough for me. They were the only brushes out of hundreds I would consider floppy. It was later on I saw Vulfix had Silvertip grade, and those I have always been pleased with. Not so dense as to inhibit lather flow, but not floppy like the Super brushes I had before. Note the Silvertip models were not the same in a 377 and a 41 and that I am sure had part to do with it. I picked up a 41 in Super at a good price awhile back, and was much more pleased with that. A discernible bump down in density, but not enough to make it floppy. I liken the difference to like the Semogue non-HD vs HD models in terms of difference. The Vulfix Superis much like Simpson Best, and Vulfix Silvertip much like Simpson Super. If I recall right the 41 is a bit bigger than a Chubby 3.

From what I have had the handles have all been hand turned, but I’m sure some of the much cheaper handles aren’t to save on costs. Knots are hand tied on anything I’ve tried and are quality like Simpson. I’ve had the chance to have my hands on some vintage Vulfixes now and again and they are quality. For me the 377 and 41 are in a category of their own, they just get overshadowed by the more diverse offerings of Simpson. As to which is better, that is a subjective matter. I will only concede Simpson offers more chances to find something you will love, but nothing in the Simpson line up will replace the 377 or 41 for me. That is even conceding the similarities between the 41 and the Chubby 3. I pulled out a Chubby 3 and a 41 just to make sure and there is indeed a good bump up in size for the 41. The 41 in either grade whips up lather better than a Chubby 3 thanks to less density, and releases it better.

YMMV for sure! Each brand has a devoted following!

For me Simpsons hair especially, the density and backbone, is far superior! But that’s my taste! :thumbup:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
It's not at all dense and quite floppy, I still like it though as the tips are untreated/not gelled.

Could you elaborate on this? I thought gel tip was a description that some certain badger hair inherently possessed, rather than some chemical or mechanical manipulation to the hair to give it this quality?

EclipseRedRing

Could you elaborate on this? I thought gel tip was a description that some certain badger hair inherently possessed, rather than some chemical or mechanical manipulation to the hair to give it this quality?
Gel tips can be achieved by chemical means as described in the thread below, I am not aware that such tips can exist naturally though I am no expert.

Reactions: nav

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Gel tips can be achieved by chemical means as described in the thread below, I am not aware that such tips can exist naturally though I am no expert.

Interesting. Count me out on wanting chemically enhanced badger. I own one that is this way. I suspected something was done to it. When wet the tips feel very conditioned almost slippery. Far different than the rest of the hair shaft. My other badgers are not like this. The brush may not be long for my den.

The brush I'm talking about will remain nameless, at least for now, but it is NOT one of the two brands being asked about in this thread.

EclipseRedRing

Interesting. Count me out on wanting chemically enhanced badger. I own one that is this way. I suspected something was done to it. When wet the tips feel very conditioned almost slippery. Far different than the rest of the hair shaft. My other badgers are not like this. The brush may not be long for my den.

The brush I'm talking about will remain nameless, at least for now, but it is NOT one of the two brands being asked about in this thread.
I own only Simpson and Semogue badger brushes of 24mm or less, plus one recently acquired 28mm Paladin. The Paladin is the only one with gel tips. The tips feel normal when dry but when wet they are slippery. Ten minutes after use, and when the drying process has begun, the tips feel almost sticky. I believe it to be neither normal nor natural and it is not to my taste. I enjoy using the brush for the variety it offers and it is certainly a quality product but I will not purchase another large brush, nor another gel tipped brush. I suspect this excludes any more Paladin brushes and also many other high end brushes so at least my bank balance will benefit. I hope gel tips, and large brushes, are a fashion that soon passes and my appreciation for Semogue, and especially for Simpson has increased many fold.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The tips feel normal when dry but when wet they are slippery. Ten minutes after use, and when the drying process has begun, the tips feel almost sticky. I believe it to be neither normal nor natural and it is not to my taste.

My experience as well. Wetting this brush and the Simpson I have and then drying them slightly on a towel, the one has clumps of hair and the Simpson has individual hair. Very obvious.

I don't know why this chaps my hide so, it just does. It's how I'm wired I guess. This seems fake somehow. Sort of like a Rolex bought at Battery Park. Same reason I didn't take steroids when I competed at Powerlifting. Same reason ... a lot of things for me.

Yup, same here!

Brush tips are either bleached to make them gel-tipped or acid dipped to make the tips softer and lighter in colour.

The acid dipped are still kind of OK, not as slimey feeling as the gel tipped but natural is still the best for me!

Simpson and Semogue make the best natural badger knots in my experience.

It's an unfortunate trend as nearly all artisan brush makers are using SHD gel tipped knots!!

One bright side of all the SHD gel tip knots is less interest in buying. All the others are making up for it though, and if that’s what they like, that’s cool. They got a lot of selection.

I have a vulfix 660 super badger.

The Simpson Commodore Best badger on the other hand is my favorite badger brush!
Perfect density, tip softness and the most gorgeous handle ever!

I've had around a dozen Simpson brushes over the years and 4-5 vulfix...there's no comparison, Simpson is far superior.
Thank you for your input, I am thinking I will only buy Simpson’s brushes

EclipseRedRing

My experience as well. Wetting this brush and the Simpson I have and then drying them slightly on a towel, the one has clumps of hair and the Simpson has individual hair. Very obvious.

I don't know why this chaps my hide so, it just does. It's how I'm wired I guess. This seems fake somehow. Sort of like a Rolex bought at Battery Park. Same reason I didn't take steroids when I competed at Powerlifting. Same reason ... a lot of things for me.
It seems that so called 'gel' tips have been around in one form or another for a decade or so. There are some interesting posts in the thread below suggesting they are an intentional property of many brushes, including Paladin, and have been for several years. The use of heat and bleaching is confirmed as I read it unless I misunderstand. Gel tips are seemingly an accepted feature and even desirable by some.

It was with Rooney 2-band Heritage where gel tips started in 2010. Not all the hair had gel tips though. You’ll find the lion’s share of early day 2-band Heritage info here. The first releases didn’t seem to have it though as from what I remember it was late Dec 2010, early Jan 2011 where the talk of a different type of feel started taking off, thus the gel tip was born.

I can state that the hair from then was much better than anything I have experienced to date. Declaration B1 came the closest to replicating 2-band Heritage while having a bit of distinctness. Even then the feel using back to back is off putting to me. I appreciate the variety for a once in awhile shave, but would much rather have the hair in its natural state.

Top Bottom