What's new

Better boar brushes?

There is a wide range of badger brushes, from a few pounds, to more luxurious levels. I love my chubby3 badger and SV badger and wondered if there was an equivalent luxurious boar brush.

Sorry just seen a recent thread on boars, so maybe will get views there. Just need inspiration during this latest UK lockdown!

There is not really an elite level of boar brush.

You just have a spectrum regarding the feel of the tips and the backbone of the bristles. And so whichever one sits in that spectrum where you like, is the best one for you.

And that's great news because many really good boar brushes are super cheap.

I like very soft tips and easy splay and so for me, the semogue and zenith brushes have been the best match.

Most of the omegas that I have tried have taken too long to have soft comfortable tips. And a few of them have such long lofts that I don't enjoy how they load soap or move on my face.

I hear that the tips split and they get very soft after a while, but some people have used them for a year or more before that happens. I might use some kind of shortcut method on my omegas to try to shorten that wait time, but I'm just really enjoying my semogue and zenith brushes so much, that I think "why bother?"

if you want something that will give you some scratch or scritch, then the omegas might be a great option for you, however.

Some people say that semogues take a long time to break in. But for me, just using them, it only takes one or two weeks. I had a conversation once with a guy who made the claim of such a long break in. And I figured out that what email was it takes a long times for the tips to split. But what I was talking about, was the time duration that it took before the brush was usable as normal (in terms of holding enough lather to do the job) and was comfortable. He acknowledged that that was true, and so I think when people say smogues take a long time, they are just referring to the tips splitting. But unlike omegas, in my experience, semogue brushes become comfortable and enjoyable much quicker and stay that way as their tips gradually split.

The semogue owners club is a more expensive brush and I think it is well worth the money, if you like a big Bloom and amazing soft tips and easy splay. If you like those attributes, I would say that might be considered elite level. You can get a similar experience from the semogue 2000, at a cheaper price. But I like theo handle of the owners club much better, and it's also now available in a beautiful Ivory colored resin handle called the Taj.

Zenith has some different handle options that are cool. They usually cost more than the semogues.

(Sent from mobile)

There is not really an elite level of boar brush.

You just have a spectrum regarding the feel of the tips and the backbone of the bristles. And so whichever one sits in that spectrum where you like, is the best one for you.

And that's great news because many really good boar brushes are super cheap.

I like very soft tips and easy splay and so for me, the semogue and zenith brushes have been the best match.

Most of the omegas that I have tried have taken too long to have soft comfortable tips. And a few of them have such long lofts that I don't enjoy how they load soap or move on my face.

I hear that the tips split and they get very soft after a while, but some people have used them for a year or more before that happens. I might use some kind of shortcut method on my omegas to try to shorten that wait time, but I'm just really enjoying my semogue and zenith brushes so much, that I think "why bother?"

if you want something that will give you some scratch or scritch, then the omegas might be a great option for you, however.

Some people say that semogues take a long time to break in. But for me, just using them, it only takes one or two weeks. I had a conversation once with a guy who made the claim of such a long break in. And I figured out that what email was it takes a long times for the tips to split. But what I was talking about, was the time duration that it took before the brush was usable as normal (in terms of holding enough lather to do the job) and was comfortable. He acknowledged that that was true, and so I think when people say smogues take a long time, they are just referring to the tips splitting. But unlike omegas, in my experience, semogue brushes become comfortable and enjoyable much quicker and stay that way as their tips gradually split.

The semogue owners club is a more expensive brush and I think it is well worth the money, if you like a big Bloom and amazing soft tips and easy splay. If you like those attributes, I would say that might be considered elite level. You can get a similar experience from the semogue 2000, at a cheaper price. But I like theo handle of the owners club much better, and it's also now available in a beautiful Ivory colored resin handle called the Taj.

Zenith has some different handle options that are cool. They usually cost more than the semogues.

(Sent from mobile)
Hi, what a good guide. What about hair shedding?

It's been my experience that Semogues splay more and take longer to break in than Omegas of similar density. Though comparing one brand to another is painting in very broad strokes. Comparing models, I think, would be more pragmatic.

SoC is supposed to be a fine brush. I've never tried one as I don't prefer lofts greater than 50mm.

The more luxurious boar I've ever used was a Semogue 1800. I only stopped using it because it took too long to make lather. The Owners Club should've been a denser version of the 1800 knot as far as I'm concerned. Lots of people love it around here though.

There is a wide range of badger brushes, from a few pounds, to more luxurious levels. I love my chubby3 badger and SV badger and wondered if there was an equivalent luxurious boar brush.
Given this question is entirely subjective and I am entirely biased towards boars, I think I can help you out.

In MOST cases, if you’re buying from a luxury company charging luxury prices for luxury boar, you’re most likely paying for the handle. Before continuing, re-read what I just said outloud. 😉

Now: I have 3 brands of boar in my line up and I use them at different times. One is my Vanderhagen boar brush. You can buy this at CVS or Walmart for a couple bucks. She’s a solid work horse and I consider the luxurious part of the lather to be the soap I’m using AND the solid backbone boar provides.

Second, I LOVE the Semogue 1308 SO MUCH, I have a spare still in its shipping plastic because if and when it craps out on me, I have one readily available in case it’s discontinued.

Finally, my Omega 10098 long handled longer bristle brush. I love this one because I have a deep mug & towards the bottom half of 3 sticks of smushed arko or a regular puck that’s wearing down, this one reaches it just fine without getting soap all over the handle. It’s like using a lather bazooka on your face. Say that outloud- LATHER BAZOOKA! That’s right- that thing is awesome and once she’s all broken in, and the bristles aren’t as stiff, it is a pleasure to use and has the feel and performance of a luxury brush but again- is only a couple bucks. It’s one of the cheaper brushes out there and I’m a happy camper in performance.

I’ve never bought a brush PURELY for the handle- but when I do, when my Vanderhagen brush wears down, I’ll get myself a Zenith Honeycomb. I’d be buying it purely for the handle hoping it performs well. I hope that answers your question. I won’t use my Silvertip unless I’m using a cream. I won’t use my synthetic unless I’m using a croap. Boars I use on soaps exclusively. Right tool for the right job. But that’s based on my own journey and experience and preference yadda yadda. Your mileage may vary- so hit the road & try some out!

Given this question is entirely subjective and I am entirely biased towards boars, I think I can help you out.

In MOST cases, if you’re buying from a luxury company charging luxury prices for luxury boar, you’re most likely paying for the handle. Before continuing, re-read what I just said outloud. 😉

Now: I have 3 brands of boar in my line up and I use them at different times. One is my Vanderhagen boar brush. You can buy this at CVS or Walmart for a couple bucks. She’s a solid work horse and I consider the luxurious part of the lather to be the soap I’m using AND the solid backbone boar provides.

Second, I LOVE the Semogue 1308 SO MUCH, I have a spare still in its shipping plastic because if and when it craps out on me, I have one readily available in case it’s discontinued.

Finally, my Omega 10098 long handled longer bristle brush. I love this one because I have a deep mug & towards the bottom half of 3 sticks of smushed arko or a regular puck that’s wearing down, this one reaches it just fine without getting soap all over the handle. It’s like using a lather bazooka on your face. Say that outloud- LATHER BAZOOKA! That’s right- that thing is awesome and once she’s all broken in, and the bristles aren’t as stiff, it is a pleasure to use and has the feel and performance of a luxury brush but again- is only a couple bucks. It’s one of the cheaper brushes out there and I’m a happy camper in performance.

I’ve never bought a brush PURELY for the handle- but when I do, when my Vanderhagen brush wears down, I’ll get myself a Zenith Honeycomb. I’d be buying it purely for the handle hoping it performs well. I hope that answers your question. I won’t use my Silvertip unless I’m using a cream. I won’t use my synthetic unless I’m using a croap. Boars I use on soaps exclusively. Right tool for the right job. But that’s based on my own journey and experience and preference yadda yadda. Your mileage may vary- so hit the road & try some out!
I live the boar brushes. I have three Omegas and all have a place in my rotation. I do not however use them only with hard soaps. I also find that synthetics perform well with all the shaving soaps, crisps and creams. Mind you out of all my favourite brush is the Omega 48. I have a Shavemac silver tip two band and prefer the boar to it...

If you are looking for a lot of backbone I would suggest the Jade omega. It takes a long time to break in. It is very dense and stiff initially, but softens a bit as time goes on. The handle is solid resin and you can get it from Connaught shaving from the U.K. It is considered the premium Omega boar.

I've gotten into boars just in the past 6 months. I've tried about 6 - 9 different Omega's & consider the Omega Jade the best, and the Proraso Pro second best.

I've tried a Mondial & loved the finer bristles, but the loft was too high so the brush splayed much too much for my tastes.

I was then steered to Zenith. I have 5 Zenith brushes & absolutely love them. They have the finer bristles like Mondial, but there is a variety of lofts you can get. For me, I went with brushes larger than 26mm knot size & loft under 52mm. That produces wonderful backbone combined with the softness of those Zenith bristles. Perfect match for me.

I haven't tried Semogue mainly because almost all of their brushes have too small of a knot for me to consider.

I still enjoy my badgers & synthetics, but when I want a luxurious boar, I pick up an Omega Jade, Pro Pro, or one of my Zentihs.

And of course, YMMV.

I live the boar brushes. I have three Omegas and all have a place in my rotation. I do not however use them only with hard soaps. I also find that synthetics perform well with all the shaving soaps, crisps and creams. Mind you out of all my favourite brush is the Omega 48. I have a Shavemac silver tip two band and prefer the boar to it...
I find my Silvertip doesn’t come around unless it’s like Christmas or Easter or something. I seldom use it. I prefer boar as well. Never really used badger- I’ve never tried it. People swear by it but I’ve been so happy with what I have, I suppose ignorance is bliss 🤣 Nice brushes by the way!

i think the Antica Barbieria Colla is the most expensive boar - because of the markup. It is said it's produced by Antica Barberia Mondial. I do have the Mondial and it cost 38 EUR, which is not "cheap" but everything's relative. My Mondial has relatively short loft and "great for me" tip softness and backbone after a soak. It is still WIP. And if i want more backbone - i can go to my Shavemac D01 2-band.

IMO, the Mondial is better than other boars that i have tried, but i haven't tried that many and they were much much cheaper. I will posit that you can get great lather and shaves with cheaper boars, for sure. Still, i do love the real aluminum and copper handles that Zenith offers.

One thing to point out: the denser premium boars do take longer to dry, and may hog lather for a while. My Mondial even "eats" lather so i reload, if needed (and expect this will diminish with more use).

i think the Antica Barbieria Colla is the most expensive boar - because of the markup. It is said it's produced by Antica Barberia Mondial. I do have the Mondial and it cost 38 EUR, which is not "cheap" but everything's relative. My Mondial has relatively short loft and "great for me" tip softness and backbone after a soak. It is still WIP. And if i want more backbone - i can go to my Shavemac D01 2-band.

IMO, the Mondial is better than other boars that i have tried, but i haven't tried that many and they were much much cheaper. I will posit that you can get great lather and shaves with cheaper boars, for sure. Still, i do love the real aluminum and copper handles that Zenith offers.

One thing to point out: the denser premium boars do take longer to dry, and may hog lather for a while. My Mondial even "eats" lather so i reload, if needed (and expect this will diminish with more use).
Thäter also had a very expensive premium boar. If you want d01 backbone the Jade Omega is the way to go. It sure felt like I could clean my barbecue with it initially...

I don't know if you could really ever consider a boar to be luxurious like a silvertip badger but Semogues, especially the Owner's Club brushes certainly look very luxurious. Semogues have a very old world, vintage look to them.
Omegas are great but they do a lot more plastic handles than Semogue does and just look and feel like more of a value brush.

I have two boars and really like them both. If you like a larger brush that still gives you a lot of control I'd recommend the Omega 10049. It has great backbone and the knot is soft right off the bat. I'm impressed with how comfortable it is and how much control it gave you. I think the knot size is 26mm not sure of the loft but it's long. You can find it for under $12 usually. I think it's a super brush at a super price.

The other boar I have is a Semogue 820. This has a great splay when needed, gets softer over time, and is so easy to hold and control. This is a smaller brush with 21mm or 22mm knot but absolutely gets the job done. It's really a fine brush in my opinion and looks lovely too.

Good luck in your search!

I used to think my Jade Omega had good backbone (and it does), but after using the Rudy Vey group buy D01 badger, exclusively since I got it, I’m not so sure. Now that is some backbone.

The more I use boar brushes the more I like them. My first is the Semogue 1305 which has turned into a soft tipped good backboned lovely brush. I then got the Omega Jade which is still breaking in, but was very usable from the beginning and the ends splitting from the get go. This is a great face latherer. My newest is the Semogue 50/50 boar badger Mistura with a butterscotch resin handle. Again still breaking in, but I think this has more to offer than anything I have used so far.

I have not found any down side to the Mistra so far. It keeps all of the good qualities from both boar and badger to make a superior brush like no other I have used so far.

Top Bottom