What's new

How Much Time

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
My average shave time is 35 minutes from "soak the brush" to "hang up the towel." If a razor is particularly smooth I might get done in 25-30 minutes. If the blade's about ready for the bin or I'm just really grooving on the perfection of the shave it can take 45 minutes.

These days, when my commute to my office takes 10 seconds, spending 45 minutes on a nice shave makes all kinds of sense to me. Back in the days when we actually saw people every day, I would spend that long driving to work. And that long again driving home, of course.

I sometimes think maybe I don't need to shave just to go sit at a computer and type emails and create audio podcasts for my students. Then I remember that when I tried that 25 years ago, I looked like a hungover cross between Willie Nelson and Yasser Arafat.

O.H.

3 minutes shower
5 minutes shave and cleanup ( 2 pass DE)

I don’t purposely rush

if I don’t shower 1st, add 1 minute for prep. I’ve been DEshaving about 12 years and I alwaysuse the same brush, razor, and blades. I vary soap and AS
I’ve also determined that rinsing between passes doesn’t help anything at best and is detrimental at worst. For me.

A get-out-the door shower & shave with a DE razor is about 20 minutes.

Maybe double that with a straight. I can scoot around my face with a mild safety razor but a straight can't be rushed. Maybe more experienced scrapers can but not me.

That's not what it's all about anyway. I reach for a straight when I've got time to relax and enjoy it. Most days I find myself shaving late in the evening.

About half an hour for my shave and shower if I am trying to get out and about.

Add another 10 minutes if I want to go for ‘luxury’ with hot towels, etc. :thumbup: :thumbup:

A three pass is typically around 2-3 minutes for me. With a mild razor like the GC .68 it's closer to two, but for aggressive razors like the R41 I slow things down, so closer to 3 minutes.

The idea of a 20 minute shave has always amazed me. I'm not knocking it, I just can't figure out how that time is distributed. For instance, how much time is the razor actually being used?

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
There’s always digeridoo

I'm almost totally non-musical, like my mother was. My dad played trumpet in a big band in the '30s. Older brother got that set of genes; he jams on several flavours of sax at every opportunity. I got the rythym, though, and spent a few years as a dance instructor.

Didj is cool. I have a couple of vintage albums by a group known as "Outback" who used the didj among a lot of other world-music instruments. I have a didj in C that I made from ABS pipe. I can make didj-like sounds on it but see comment above. Entertaining for people who worked near me, as I would occasionally play the thing in my office just for grins. Circular breathing is not my strong suit.

O.H.

Shower and two pass shave, probably 20 mins with a straight, about 18 with de. I strop about 2 minutes. In the before times I would get up at 6 and be out the door by 6.30. Now I don't arise until 6.30 and am having breakfast at 7.

Top Bottom