What's new

Are 3-piece safety razors easier to break if they fall than 2-piece razors?

Yes, the alignment issue is not experienced by everyone that reviewed this razor, and i don't take as granted everything i read/see in the internet. But i wanted to point it out. Because it happened, for a such simple and without moving parts thing like a safety razor, it would be a really big flow!
It's trivial. Many razors, particularly older designs, have some tolerance for the blade to fit, because all blades are not exactly the same size, or cut exactly the same with the slots.

Put the razor cap upside-down on your palm, load the blade, screw down the handle, alignment will be good 90% of the time. If it is not, just repeat the process. You could also use the blade tabs to manually adjust the blade position, that takes 15 seconds. I seriously cannot believe people make such a big deal out of this.

If our friend is planning on dropping his razor a Zamak Merkur would be the last thing I'd recommend. Plating is not particularly good quality and if they don't break upon drop there's a good chance they'll chip and slowly self destruct.

A vintage brass Tech or a new $22 brass Fatip is much better investment for the slippery fingered.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

I recently dropped my Fatip gentile top cap in the sink. One of the locating pins came off.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hello. I'm planning to buy my first "good" DE safety razor (well i have a Wilkinson Classic, plastic) and because my economical situation doesn't allow me to buy easily a second if the first is destroyed I'm thinking of durability in case of the razor falling down. I see that the 3-piece razors have a "weak" point that can break easily if they fall. The 2-piece razors , on the other hand, are hollow inside but don't have this weak point (i mean the threading point that screws with the head).
Does anyone have experience on razors of these two types falling and breaking? Is there one that is "tougher" than the other?
I like a 3pc razor over almost any other razor, they are built very well and another strength in some repect is they are the easiest to clean if you like a clean razor or a germophobe .

I just canceled the order. I show in some video that the new version of this open comb model has become significantly less aggressive and i don't like lottery as i don't know which version of the two will i receive. Also having to align every time the blade isn't very intriguing :)
So i'm gonna order the Muhle R89 and be more careful when i'll shave to avoid any falls :)
The Muhle R89 Twist is a two piece version which will be better for the reason I explained previously; that may be a better choice but xosts a good bit more.
The Fatip Grande Rasolo Nickelato would be the Mk2 because it is packed in a different carton from the Mk1; great price currently on A**zon.
Being careful not to drop any razor is always reccomended. :wink2:

Could we get a photo please? The pins should be riveted into the cap.
I've seen a photo of the machinery used for that operation at the Fatip factory. It appears to be some form of electric spot welding to join the posts to the cap. It leaves a small gap under the posts, which is where I think some of the complaints about alignment come from. The whole "alignment issues" thing is totally exaggerated, though. I have always gotten a good shave from both my Fatip razors, and able to get proper alignment every time.

An all-brass razor that gives an outstanding shave, with great balance and handling for $20? Sign me up. You are not buying a Timeless which costs ten times more; the Fatip is a good, but not perfect razor.

Last edited:
I hurried to congratulate your purchase of an R89 but see you have not bought it yet. It's a good razor. I have both R89 and R41 in 3 piece construction and have not been disappointed. If you're worried about dropping them just make sure to wipe your hands dry before each pass for a good grip or use an alum block on your hands as others recommended (I never used this second method though so not sure how well it works).
Lastly, enjoy it. Try not to worry too much. Enjoy the feel of it in your hand and on your face.

R

romsitsa

Thanks, I remembered a riveted cap. Maybe an earlier verison or I was hallucinating.

Adam

I've seen a photo of the machinery used for that operation at the Fatip factory. It appears to be some form of electric spot welding to join the posts to the cap. It leaves a small gap under the posts, which is where I think some of the complaints about alignment come from. The whole "alignment issues" thing is totally exaggerated, though. I have always gotten a good shave from both my Fatip razors, and able to get proper alignment every time.

An all-brass razor that gives an outstanding shave, with great balance and handling for $20? Sign me up. You are not buying a Timeless which costs ten times more; the Fatip is a good, but not perfect razor.

How do you know they are exaggerated?

How do you know they are exaggerated?
Because I don't have that problem with the two that I have, and neither do plenty of other people who have the razors. It's like an echo chamber. Someone reads about a person that got a defective razor and just repeats like a parrot: "Ooh, better stay away, I heard they have alignment issues, alignment issues, alignment issues...have they fixed the alignment issues yet?" It cause people to miss out on a very good razor.

Also, if someone had a defective razor, they will post every time that razor is discussed in order to punish the company for selling them a defective producut, when they could have just swapped the defective one with the merchant and got a good one. The company will never be forgiven, to the end of time.

Last edited:
All I have to contribute that hasn't been said already is my personal experience with my first merkur 37c: two piece, zamak razor and I dropped that thing more times then I can even remember... In a porcelain sink, on a tile floor, in the shower (that was scary! Almost jumped out of the shower soaking wet in my birthday suit as the razor was bouncing around lol). After it all the only 'damage' was a superficial flat spot on one corner of the base plate that didn't change the gap or shave at all.

All those people who knock modern merkur razors and zamak in general must had got a dud because mine held up to some serious abuse.

Because I don't have that problem with the two that I have, and neither do plenty of other people who have the razors. It's like an echo chamber. Someone reads about a person that got a defective razor and just repeats like a parrot: "Ooh, better stay away, I heard they have alignment issues, alignment issues, alignment issues...have they fixed the alignment issues yet?" It cause people to miss out on a very good razor.

Also, if someone had a defective razor, they will post every time that razor is discussed in order to punish the company for selling them a defective producut, when they could have just swapped the defective one with the merchant and got a good one. The company will never be forgiven, to the end of time.

I've had three and they were all poor quality. By which I mean they had serious alignment issues. No echo chamber here. Feel free to wax lyrical about the shave. I would agree. But to put down people highlighting the poor build quality is inexcusable.

I've had three and they were all poor quality. By which I mean they had serious alignment issues. No echo chamber here. Feel free to wax lyrical about the shave. I would agree. But to put down people highlighting the poor build quality is inexcusable.
Just to clarify for future readers...does serious alignment issues mean "I had to manually align every time" or "it was impossible to align the razors no matter what"?

My four are fine.

I like a 3pc razor over almost any other razor, they are built very well and another strength in some repect is they are the easiest to clean if you like a clean razor or a germophobe .
And you can swap handles! I'd probably use my Merkur more if it weren't for the handle.

Just to clarify for future readers...does serious alignment issues mean "I had to manually align every time" or "it was impossible to align the razors no matter what"?

My four are fine.

My three were not fine. One Grande was possible to align the blade and have a great shave. I know this because I achieved that. How long that took would vary from instantly to maybe 5 minutes of cursing. I threw that one in the bin.

Another Grande was possible to align the blade and have a great shave. I know this because I achieved that. How long that took would vary from instantly to maybe 2 minutes. I sold that on and was honest in the description.

The Gentile was also possible to align the blade and have a great shave. I know this because I achieved that. How long that took would vary from instantly to maybe 2 minutes. I recently dropped the top cap in the sink and one of the pins came off.

I have had plenty vintage Gillette's that need a slight fiddle to centre the blade but nothing that was as difficult to do, or took so long, as a Fatip. I am experienced with DE razors and know how to use them. I never expect a blade to be centred properly first time and always check them, and adjust if required.

Fatip razors are great shavers but the manufacturers are cowboys. That is my honest appraisal and I see nothing wrong with saying it.

My three were not fine. One Grande was possible to align the blade and have a great shave. I know this because I achieved that. How long that took would vary from instantly to maybe 5 minutes of cursing. I threw that one in the bin.

Another Grande was possible to align the blade and have a great shave. I know this because I achieved that. How long that took would vary from instantly to maybe 2 minutes. I sold that on and was honest in the description.

The Gentile was also possible to align the blade and have a great shave. I know this because I achieved that. How long that took would vary from instantly to maybe 2 minutes. I recently dropped the top cap in the sink and one of the pins came off.

I have had plenty vintage Gillette's that need a slight fiddle to centre the blade but nothing that was as difficult to do, or took so long, as a Fatip. I am experienced with DE razors and know how to use them. I never expect a blade to be centred properly first time and always check them, and adjust if required.

Fatip razors are great shavers but the manufacturers are cowboys. That is my honest appraisal and I see nothing wrong with saying it.
Nope nothing wrong at all. Luck of the draw I guess.

And that is what I tell people who ask about Fatip razors.
You must have liked something about them to try three times, I'm sorry you encountered problems. How to account for all the people that don't have issues with alignment, though? I was scared off by the stories myself until I finally decided to try one. Now, they are the razor I use most.

Top Bottom