What's new

Debate with me: daily shaving is excessive and unnecessary

I have I suppose what is a medium beard type. After a BBS shave a shave the next day is not needed, even though if you were to run a playing card along my beardline you’d hear feedback. There is simply not enough growth to warrant a shave, let alone for anyone else to really notice or care.

My buddy has a full, thick, coarse beard, but yet the story is the same. 24 hour after a BBS, you simply cannot notice the growth on his face.

So from the above anecdotes, I can only conclude that daily shaving is excessive and unnecessary. Two days apart is fine and will let your skin recover, and three days is probably the best.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have I suppose what is a medium beard type. After a BBS shave a shave the next day is not needed, even though if you were to run a playing card along my beardline you’d hear feedback. There is simply not enough growth to warrant a shave, let alone for anyone else to really notice or care.

My buddy has a full, thick, coarse beard, but yet the story is the same. 24 hour after a BBS, you simply cannot notice the growth on his face.

So from the above anecdotes, I can only conclude that daily shaving is excessive and unnecessary. Two days apart is fine and will let your skin recover, and three days is probably the best.
No argument here!

I am retired, but when I worked, I was a Monday, Wednesday, Friday guy. Usually.

What you're saying is true for many people, but not for everyone.

The military has pretty strict regulations about appearance, stressing a neat and conservative look. Facial hair can't interfere with fitting of personal protective gear.

People in the health care field have to be careful about a tight seal for their PPE. How would you feel about a sloppy surgeon who was getting ready to operate on you when your life is at risk?

Back when I had to wear a suit everyday, I was not allowed to have a beard shadow showing at all. That would have been considered lax and unprofessional (very conservative environment). A mustache was OK, a beard was not.

All I know is that if I don't shave daily I look like a bum . Especially since my beard turned white (I have very dark Mediterranean skin).

I have nothing against bums but if I am not a bum why look like one?

So I will stick to my four pass five minute DE daily shave thank you.

I have been doing it since 1980 and I don't know what this "recover" thing you are mentioning, my skin is smooth and soft like a baby's and I am steadily approaching 60 :001_smile

I've been guilty of a few excessive and unnecessary activities, some mortal and some venial, but daily shaving wouldn't make the list.

Going home to my collection of razors, brushes, soaps, etc. is one of the things I'm really looking forward to when I get "paroled" in a couple of weeks.

I have stubble by the end of the work day after a close morning DE shave. Generally very close to BBS. By the next morning it’s whiskers. Impossible to go to work without shaving daily.

"Excessive" and "Unnecessary" are both completely subjective terms by definition. What is excessive for one may not be for someone else. The same goes for "unnecessary".

I dislike feeling any stubble, and about 15 hours after a BBS shave, I can definitely feel stubble (as can SWMBO). So for me a daily shave is both not excessive and necessary. On rare occasion, two shaves may be necessary for the day. Of course, as with everything in this endeavor, YMMV.

I need to shave every day and a half. So I go the extra 1/2 day to two days. However, I'm a newbie, working towards daily shaving (If i cut or nick, that's an automatic 48 hrs to next shave otherwise, it's a guarantee cut again). I think if I stay to two passes with the second being Across TG, I can do it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I shave for the enjoyment of shaving, not because I want/need to remove whiskers.

I found that if I do a three-pass BBS shave with my SR, I have nothing to shave until 48 hours later. If I do a two-pass DFS shave, I have a little to shave after 12 hours, which I do with a single pass.

My DFS shave gives me three passes within every 24-hour period. The BBS shave only gives me three passes every 48-hour period.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If I do a full three pass with seek and destroy touch ups, the amount of stubble after 24 hours is probably only what an electric razor would leave behind.

If I only do one or two passes, the chances are I'll be ready for another shave the day after.

I have coarse, white stubble that stands out, so I shave everyday to prevent myself from looking like a hobo.

But, even before my beard turned white, I shaved everyday. Other people see shaving as a chore. I see it as my time to escape from the world and pamper myself.

Shaving is your Nirvana.

Today I installed a shaving mirror in the shower. It has a 3 x zoom when flipped and normal on the reverse side and I can spin it on all sorts of angles. What I considered a close shave beforehas left me slightly shocked.
I treated myself to a Tabac powered Muhle 89 shower shave. I used clippers under the chin. I like a bit of hair under there. We all know what happend to Sampson once he lost all of his.
Returning to the subject I feel a shave every 3 days is fine. Maybe even 4. It all depends on where I am heading and the situation I must combat. Sometimes a hair cut and a fresh shave can make me feel a million dollars and ready to take on the world.

What you're saying is true for many people, but not for everyone.

The military has pretty strict regulations about appearance, stressing a neat and conservative look. Facial hair can't interfere with fitting of personal protective gear.

People in the health care field have to be careful about a tight seal for their PPE. How would you feel about a sloppy surgeon who was getting ready to operate on you when your life is at risk?

Back when I had to wear a suit everyday, I was not allowed to have a beard shadow showing at all. That would have been considered lax and unprofessional (very conservative environment). A mustache was OK, a beard was not.

I’m fairly certain that two days growth won’t hinder PPE of any sort.

Like nearly everything else in shaving, frequency of shaving is a YMMV thing. I have a fast growing, heavy beard. When I worked, I had to shave every morning and occasionally again in the evening if I had a business dinner.

Now I am retired and my beard has turned white, so I could easily go 48 hours without shaving and nobody would notice. However, I do not like going that long as my beard growth becomes so thick that shaving becomes difficult. I find that shaving after 32 hours provides an ideal balance for me between beard growth and skin recovery. However, staying on a 32 hour schedule would be difficult. Thus, I shave when I feel like it, normally in the range of 24-40 hours, rarely going outside of that range on either end.

Top Bottom