What's new

Radiator Pipes

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I haven't seen any posted here but I've been curious about them for some time now. I tend to gravitate toward more classic shapes but I'm intrigued by them for some reason.

Like them, don't like them...what's the consensus?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Wiebe radiators? Kirsten Radiators? I have both and smoke them rarely. They smoke well enough but they are more a collector pipe for me.

They do smoke cooler, and drier. Conversely since a lot of the vapor is removed from the smoke so is some of the flavor, at least to me.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have a trio of Kirstens, one remains un-smoked, all vintage. Like @Kentos , they are just oddities in my collection, the two that I have smoked were OK, but the experience was nothing special that would draw me away from my more traditional briars.

I have a HWiebe and it smokes great. It's also a super easy clean. I don't smoke it often however because I find that it's weight distribution is unbalanced and so clenching is a bit awkward for me. If you don't clench, then it's no big deal. I know plenty of people who clench and enjoy them though, so maybe I just have week jaws/teeth!

I have a HWiebe and it smokes great. It's also a super easy clean. I don't smoke it often however because I find that it's weight distribution is unbalanced and so clenching is a bit awkward for me. If you don't clench, then it's no big deal. I know plenty of people who clench and enjoy them though, so maybe I just have week jaws/teeth!
Do you have the straight or the full bend? Both look heavy.

brandaves

Thanks for the feedback gents. I don't clench often so the weight, while not ideal isn't a deal breaker. I broke down and ordered the Bones Radiator. There was only a handful left in stock and I haven't seen a less expensive option anywhere for the bowl and the frame...once it arrives I'll let you know what I think.

Got one in the 'Sue Moore" auction a few years back. I like it at the table as it's a capable sitter. I bought an extra bowl. They smoke just fine. IMHO

Thanks for the feedback gents. I don't clench often so the weight, while not ideal isn't a deal breaker. I broke down and ordered the Bones Radiator. There was only a handful left in stock and I haven't seen a less expensive option anywhere for the bowl and the frame...once it arrives I'll let you know what I think.

Good choice. I have both a Wiebe bowl and a Bones bowl. I didn't buy my Wiebe frame from Chris Morgan, because I didn't care for the short straight frame, as I felt it would be even more awkward to clench. You're not much of a clencher so good on you. Let us know how you like it!

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I tend to prefer the more classic styles, but lately I've been drawn towards more unconventional pipes. Falcon, Nording Compass, even my Nording Eriksen (although that one doesn't really hit the spot for me). A Wiebe Radiator is next on my list. Maybe this week.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I tend to prefer the more classic styles, but lately I've been drawn towards more unconventional pipes. Falcon, Nording Compass, even my Nording Eriksen (although that one doesn't really hit the spot for me). A Wiebe Radiator is next on my list. Maybe this week.
Or maybe I just ordered one of the last two Bones Radiators.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member

You should add an Ornsby to your unconventional pipe list. They come up once every few months at around 35.00 depending on condition.

My Wiebe Oom Paul with Bones bowl passes a pc with ease. Have to keep reminding myself to disassemble before tapping out the ashes lol... spoiler [ so the moisture does not enter the bowl ] -- 54g, not too heavy.

proxy.php

brandaves

I see the appeal, but never quite liked them enough to purchase one.
Yeah, they won't win any beauty contests with me either...I just had to get it. I may be bounding down the troubled path of the pipe collector. Penniless and with a crooked grin. :lol:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Yeah, they won't win any beauty contests with me either...I just had to get it. I may be bounding down the troubled path of the pipe collector. Penniless and with a crooked grin. :lol:

Once you catch the bug it’s neverending. It’s worse than razors cause they are a bazillion different pipesz

Top Bottom