What's new

Baili

Baili seems to make several similar looking razors, with slightly different handle designs. Some also allow the blade sides to stick out more or less. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to try any of these other Baili DE razors or if they all essentially perform the same? I already have a BD179

They can be found on Ebay for such low prices, usually private label for as little as $6 or $8 Shipped, so I'm wondering if it's worth a few extra bucks to experiment here

It is a fun razor for cheap. It is rebranded a lot by other companies. For example, I believe the Rockwell R1 and Razorock Quick Change are all TTO Baili's.

The 131 is very Tech like in my opinion. And yes, they are cheap so it is easy to try something new.

I own a couple, one in chrome and one in “gold”. I find them to be decent shavers and good travel razors.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The gold looks nice and especially for the price you pay. I really like using feather blades with my TTO Baili because it is efficient without feeling harsh.

I have the TTO, the old (BT131) Tech clone (something like a 7 o'clock Tech from India), and the new head, one with a short (BD176), one with a long handle (BD191).

All are cheaply made but good razors. All show imaculate chroming. The TTO feels also cheap, but shaves good, the BD176 and BD191 feel well made and are nice, very mild shavers. The BT131 is ok, but not really the great deal. It is more or less a Rimei razor. All so called Tech clones are not very similar to my great 1950s English made Tech.

But for the price, get the TTO and definetely the BD176/191. I like them quite a bit in my rotation.

The 131 is very Tech like in my opinion. And yes, they are cheap so it is easy to try something new.
From the bottom of my heart, I really hope that is not very Tech like.
I received it a couple of weeks ago together with the new version (no overhang version) and the 131 it is completely horrible: rough and feisty with extra irritation in my neck :(. On the other side... the new version I dig it !
So, in the future I plan to buy an original Tech (if I can find it for a reasonable price in Europe) but not if it is rough as 131.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
This thread may be of benefit:

Specifically, I found the Baili 131 (closest Baili to a Tech) shaved differently, and not as pleasurable, as a genuine Gillette Tech.

I agree that the shave is rougher.

If you look at the geometry, it is not the same as a genuine Tech.

Hope this helps.

I'd definitely consider getting a 176, they can be had for as low as $5 if you look around and I actually have one on its way to me as we speak :devil:, I knew I had to pick one up after reading dovo1695 wax poetic about it in a few threads. It's supposed to be a mild razor that's efficient at the same time thanks to an extremely rigid head design.

Since you're looking to experiment, the "pre-upgrade" model with the older style head that has the blade tabs sticking out might be worth looking at as well. It's been described as being slightly more aggressive and at the price they go for, it's worth picking up both to see which one you end up liking more.

In any case do let us know what you think if you decide to pick one or a few up. I know I can't wait for mine to show up. :biggrin1:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
the "pre-upgrade" model with the older style head that has the blade tabs sticking out might be worth looking at as well. It's been described as being slightly more aggressive and at the price they go for, it's worth picking up both to see which one you end up liking more.
Are you referencing the 171 and 172 models?

Are you referencing the 171 and 172 models?
Those are the ones, although strangely I have seen the new head design sold as the 171 as well. Baili naming convention is just plain confusing, especially when you consider vendors often sell the razors under a bunch of different names.

The following picture has been posted on another thread but it seems the best way of determining whether you're getting the upgrade head or not is to ignore the model name entirely and just go off what the handle looks like:
61qW8AA3VCL._SL1000_.jpg

Alternatively OP could snag either the Razorock DE1 or Teck II if that's a more accessible option. They're just rebranded versions of the Baili 176 and 191.

Also +1 on checking out the Tech Clone Wars thread. It's a great resource for fun, affordable razors to mess around with, and I've read through it more times than I'd like to admit :001_unsur

Top Bottom