What's new

Want to try a badger (do I need to?)

Try a badger if only to eliminate it from future consideration. :lol:

Get what you can afford keep in mind an approximate 2:1 loft to diameter ratio and bulbs have more backbone than fans all else being equal.

I must compliment you on your selection of synthetics & knowing what you like & don't like about them. You have already been given much advice, so I will wish you good luck on your hunt, & ask you to please keep us apprised.

I'd recommend the Yaqi badgers if you want to try one without breaking that bank. Their 2-band have more backbone and scrub so I'd recommend that. If you're okay with bigger handles, their 26mm Moka Express is a great badger that gives plenty of backbone while staying soft. The 24mm options are good as well but it has less density and slightly less backbone.

Although I think the best value to performance option might be a SHD badger. They have more backbone while staying really soft if you keep the loft a bit lower in 48 - 50mm range. Maggard sells them by knots and Stirling sells them as well. If you want a quick way to get one, I'd recommend the Stirling High Density 2 band badger.

Looking again, the Yaqi's I find within EU are all with long lofts, far exceeding the 2/1 ratio (for example 24/60). So this kind of postpones them at the time being since I don't think they can offer me what I like. Option 2 is ordering from China but the customs expenses in Greece almost double their price plus postal service is slower than a turtle (typically 45-60 days from Aliexpress).

Stirling's are USA based so again customs are in the middle. I saw Shavingtime in UK that carries them but all seems to be high loft models.

You seem to be happy with synthetics, I'd e-mail Rudy Vey and ask for his advice on a type synthetic knot you're looking for.
If I have got it correct Rudy is an handle manufacturer who resides in USA. Since I will not be buying from him I find it unethical to seek advise and spend my money elsewhere. If he happens to see this post and has desires to respond it is ok.

None of your choices sound remotely bad to me, not that I have 'em all.

I'd go with a Zenith. I don't have any Zenith silvertips (not that I don't plan to) but I have several
Zenith boars and two Zenith Manchurians and a Zenith extra soft horse. All are excellent brushes. I hear the silvertips are wonderful.

The Yaqi two bands are very nice brushes, too, especially for the price.

Two bands have more scrub and backbone than silvertips generally and Manchurians even more, but it also depends on the density of the knot. The silvertips I have vary a lot in density and thus scrub and backbone, but silvertips can be wonderfully soft and also have plenty of backbone.

I really like the tall Zenith handle you mention. I have it in the horse. Great handle. You won't go wrong with a Zenith. Best kinda off the radar brushes; they're very very nice.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thank you Jim. Indeed the more I look into Zeniths the more I am intrigued. If you happen to have time I would appreciate some suggestions upon their models (I cannot find their official website so I am kind of lost on their specs).
Honestly having medium sized hands the big handles may be a little uncomfortable to me and the only shop that carries them is like 500km (310miles) away so as to get a closer look.
Tried the SOC badger out from Semogue. LOTS of backbone. A lot of work to splay. Fyi.

I've recently tried out the Yaqi finest as well as the silvertip. Both are soft, with the Finest having more back bone.

Softer still, and at a nice price point, is Maseto. Their Finest is very soft while still having more backbone than the cloud like silvertip. I like the barber-style "Memphis" handle, myself.

For other pillow soft budget badgers, I like Golden Nib and Whipped Dog.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Maseto is only accessible via ebay correct? I have taken a look at them but I will examine a little more thoroughly.
Keep in mind that the 40$ I see immediately translate to around 70-75$ to have it delivered here but from what I've read even at this price point they are worth it.

A good boar brush takes some time to break-in. It also needs to soak for five or ten minutes before each use. Once that is done, a good boar is usually much softer than a pure badger.

I think everyone should try a good quality boar and give it some time. You might be surprised.

Well that 10mins most of the time is a luxury I don't have in the morning shaves and this is a part where I know that synths are unbeatable. Just rinse and start lathering with very good results even with cold water!
I assume a badger also needs pre-soak but If I have understood correctly less time.
Honestly I have not excluded boars and I will purchase one for the shake of it but let's keep that for another time/therad.
Try a badger if only to eliminate it from future consideration. :lol:
:lol1:
Get what you can afford keep in mind an approximate 2:1 loft to diameter ratio and bulbs have more backbone than fans all else being equal.
Note taken about bulb, thank you!

I must compliment you on your selection of synthetics & knowing what you like & don't like about them. You have already been given much advice, so I will wish you good luck on your hunt, & ask you to please keep us apprised.
Thank you for your kind words, I was lucky to get 3 out of 4 correct by buying blind.
Yes, being a forumista for many years (in many separate hobbies) I can value a good source of knowledge and advice and in return update with findings.

But suggestions coming is the coal that keeps the flame lit so I would appreciate more input from whoever has the willingness to do so.

You seem to be happy with synthetics, I'd e-mail Rudy Vey and ask for his advice on a type synthetic knot you're looking for.

I've yet to use a badger that's softer than a broken-in boar. To get a badger with softer tips than a synth? Good luck with that! I have not spent more than $50 on badgers for full disclosure. If there's one at $150 that does the job, I'll never know :D

Yeah if you spend more $ there’s softer ones out there.

The SHD knots from Maggard’s, the PHD knots from Square Root Pascal, and the Fanchurians from TDR/Grizzly Bay are all incredibly soft, as well as the Tip knots from Turn N Shave. These are all considerably softer than any of my synthetics, and much more dense and plush.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thank you Jim. Indeed the more I look into Zeniths the more I am intrigued. If you happen to have time I would appreciate some suggestions upon their models (I cannot find their official website so I am kind of lost on their specs).
Honestly having medium sized hands the big handles may be a little uncomfortable to me and the only shop that carries them is like 500km (310miles) away so as to get a closer look.

Here's one with a handle size I think smaller than it looks (and, yes, I have a Zenith brush with this handle, so I know exactly how big it is). That vendor's in Spain. I've ordered from them and gotten great service. Check out the Manchurian's, too.

This is one from the US based eBay dealer. I show it so you can look at more selections, more models.

Factory website here.

I doubt any of the brush handles are going to be too large for your hands, but how could I be sure of that. The only ones I'd consider avoiding are the largest ones (which are described as for large or arthritic hands on the eBay vendor's sit), but I have several of those and find them very nice.

Zenith Soft Horse. Vendor photo.480.jpg

This tall resin handle (mine is in extra soft horse) is a small feeling handle. It's tall, but not thick (but it's not too thin for anyone either). It's probably my favorite brush handle or one of my favorites.

Almost all of us order almost everything sight unseen on the internet. There are very few stores of note anywhere except New York City.

Between these three websites you should be able to find and find out about each and every Zenith brush. Not every vendor has every brush at any given time. The stock carried varies over time.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim a 1000 thank you!
The Spanish vendor will most probably my choice.

May I ask if I decide to pull the trigger should I go with Manchurian or Silvertip Zenith? What may be their differences?
I am eyeballing this one..

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim a 1000 thank you!

May I ask if I decide to pull the trigger should I go with Manchurian or Silvertip Zenith? What may be their differences?

Lovely brush. I don't have a Zenith silvertip but I hear the backbone is stellar (unlike some silvertip brushes). I have two Manchurians.

Two.Zenith.Manchurians.1-5-19.480..jpg

The copper is denser and has much more backbone but both have plenty of backbone and scrub. Both are soft, but not as soft as the silvertips I own. Plenty soft for me though. The copper is a slightly larger knot but the picture does not show it that way, but both of these are great brushes.

I've heard the Zenith silvertip is wonderful. I know the Zenith Manchurians are wonderful.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Natural hair brushes are quite a departure from synthetic ones. The face feel is different, the splay is more natural, they are less springy, the tips are not as soft as some of the modern synthetics and they usually need more product to create lather. It is not a bad idea to see for yourself, but in the end you might return to what you already have. Just keep in mind that this is another rabbit hole and indeed a very deep one!

With that in mind, I believe that 2-band badger and relatively short-lofted well broken-in boar brushes are your best bet. I also think that the brushes you mentioned in your OP can be quite different in size, Yaqi (24mm or higher with various lofts), Semogue (24mm/53mm), Zenith (26-28mm/50mm?), Shavemac (26mm/54mm). All of these will probably cover a larger area of the face while lathering than your synthetic brushes due to the natural splay of the knot.

Good luck with your decision!

A good boar brush takes some time to break-in. It also needs to soak for five or ten minutes before each use. Once that is done, a good boar is usually much softer than a pure badger.

I think everyone should try a good quality boar and give it some time. You might be surprised.
Very much agree. A good, broken-in boar is softer than softer than many badgers.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Jim a 1000 thank you!

If you're going to buy a Zenith badger from that site, I would recommend throwing in this Zenith boar as well. I don't have that particular brush, but my experience is that unbleached Zenith boars are fantastic brushes. The bleached Zenith boar brush that I had was too floppy. In any event, it's only 7 euro and probably won't add much to the shipping cost.

This is my favorite boar brush, but at $30 it's significantly more expensive and I'm not sure about the cost of overseas shipping.

Incoming!

Pulled the trigger on Silvertip (as I understood it has a little more backbone than Manchurian) but forgot to add a boar (late night purchases can lead to mistakes :lol1: ).
No harm done since boars I can much more easily find here.

Waiting ..impatiently.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions!
For the shake of my pocket I hope I will be satisfied and that this is not the step to the ''badger hole''.

Do I need to make any preparation prior to first use?
I see a lot of suggestions for natural haired brushes like blooming overnight, leaving first lather on overnight, hair shampoo was e.t.c.

Incoming!

Pulled the trigger on Silvertip (as I understood it has a little more backbone than Manchurian) but forgot to add a boar (late night purchases can lead to mistakes :lol1: ).
No harm done since boars I can much more easily find here.

Waiting ..impatiently.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions!
For the shake of my pocket I hope I will be satisfied and that this is not the step to the ''badger hole''.

Do I need to make any preparation prior to first use?
I see a lot of suggestions for natural haired brushes like blooming overnight, leaving first lather on overnight, hair shampoo was e.t.c.
Zenith generally arrive fairly clean. A soak in water + hair shampoo for a few hours, followed by rinsing and a few test lathers in your palm, let dry overnight may be enough prep.

Simpson X2L Colonel is probably the quintessential badger brush. Arguably the best all purpose brush I own. Quality goods at a reasonable price.
Tad late to the party I see, but not to worry. You will be buying another badger before long. 😉

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've never had any trouble with a Zenith knot not being clean. Simple wash up with Dawn or shaving soap, rinse, maybe dry, and then go, go, go...

Which brush? Pictures?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom