What's new

Firearms storage Issues

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
One of the most vitriolic arguments I ever saw at a shooting range was between two acquaintances when one stated that he was on prescription psychotropic meds. Needless to say, the whole room erupted and took sides on this delicate issue with one side saying that under no circumstance should anyone taking psychotropic meds have access to firearms and the other side stating that they should not lose their right to self defense. It was ugly. :oops:

Both sides have their respective points and to be frank IMO it should probably be on a case by case scenario, BUT it begs the question of whether the person taking the meds has the wherewithal to make that decision and if not then who? :whistling:

Nice post

This is tough. I'm not sure a gun safe would even help in the worst sufferers. I had patients that really got messed up on zolpidem. Had no idea that they had been up roaming the halls the next day.

Never saw that problem with Xanax. But it's in a more controlled substance catigory. At least it was when I was working back in the day on 3rd shift. Ambien is much more hard to get prescribed now.

No good answer. Sleep in a really tightly zippered sleeping bag?

Don't understand what you are saying about Xanax being a more controlled substance than Ambien (zolpidem). They have both been "controlled drugs" since day one when they hit the market!

Xanax probably more addictive and also abused.
I have heard of people buying stuff online that they did not remember and causing economic and social problems in the household.
And some car accidents blamed on this.....

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Don't understand what you are saying about Xanax being a more controlled substance than Ambien (zolpidem). They have both been "controlled drugs" since day one when they hit the market!
I'm not sure either. I know that Zolpidem came out after I became a nurse, and as I recall, it wasn't secured by being double locked when it was first released like Xanax was. I COULD BE WRONG! But I seem to remember it just being in with the other pills when it first came out. The same was true of Vicodin back in the day. Most facilities just chose to double lock it, there was no Federal regs saying we had to. Ultram was given out like candy. Not anymore once folks decided it was fun to crush and inhale. I have been out of the geriatric floor nursing game for bit of time now, so I could EASILY be misremembering Ambien.

Controlled substances have "levels", as you undoubtedly know. "Soma", for example, is a muscle relaxer that was not controlled until relatively recently. Once Norco became more abused, and then harder to get a Rx for, Soma became more abused. Now it is more "followed" by the DEA for over prescription.

FarmerTan

I should add: I had one patient that took Ambien and fought off sleep to get a "high" or low? Anyway, when your life is such that you are confined to bed due to health, boredom is your biggest enemy. I'm not judging; my idea of a great life is not jigsaw puzzle solving and watching TV.

Should the mentally ill not be allowed self defense, and can the ability to defend them take us back to the days of institutionalization?

Sorry, that is its own thread, but if being on Ambien or antidepressants or Xanax can keep you from being able to own a gun, I'd wager half of the houses with guns in them wouldn't be legal.

FarmerTan

Xanax probably more addictive and also abused.
I have heard of people buying stuff online that they did not remember and causing economic and social problems in the household.
And some car accidents blamed on this.....
I wonder how many car accidents are caused by people that are driving without a license, and how many shootings are are done by people that are using the gun without a permit? We live in interesting times.

Xanax is a benzodiazapine, similar to Valium attavan exct it is a muscle relaxer, and yes it can cause sleep it is also used as a opioide (by junkies) as it is like codeine or morphene more Or less, long term affect’s it’s similar to heroin in withdrawal it is highly addictive some heroin user’s add it to there cocktail to get a sort of super high as its cheep in aus where I’m from it goes for a dollar a pill Xanax is 5 per pill and so on as Xanax is only prescribed to people with schizophrenia it’s sort of hard to find and why it is so expensive zolpodien is a sleeping tablet also addictive when it’s mixed with alcohol the brain doesn’t fully shut down hence why people do wired stuff I have a family member who loves Xanax and he does stupid things like robing a undercover cop car and not remember it funny when they arrest him tho.

I wonder how many car accidents are caused by people that are driving without a license, and how many shootings are are done by people that are using the gun without a permit? We live in interesting times.

I would think most shootings are done by folks without a permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. And why I deadbolt the doors and have a gun easily at hand or on my person most times.

You and me both. I’m at a Force on Force Training today and beyond pistol essentials tomorrow. I take it fairly seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Xanax is a benzodiazapine, similar to Valium attavan exct it is a muscle relaxer, and yes it can cause sleep it is also used as a opioide (by junkies) as it is like codeine or morphene more Or less, long term affect’s it’s similar to heroin in withdrawal it is highly addictive some heroin user’s add it to there cocktail to get a sort of super high as its cheep in aus where I’m from it goes for a dollar a pill Xanax is 5 per pill and so on as Xanax is only prescribed to people with schizophrenia it’s sort of hard to find and why it is so expensive zolpodien is a sleeping tablet also addictive when it’s mixed with alcohol the brain doesn’t fully shut down hence why people do wired stuff I have a family member who loves Xanax and he does stupid things like robing a undercover cop car and not remember it funny when they arrest him tho.

Don't know where you are getting all your info. Xanax is indicated for anxiety and panic disorders. A few years back the junkies wanted Xanax, soma(carisoprodol), a muscle relaxant, and Vicodin. Feds reclassified the hydrocodone products like Vicodin to schedule II and made soma a schedule IV. That seems to have drastically slowed that avenue of abuse. Xanax is Not used as an opioid. Opioids have analgesic properties, Xanax does not!

Been a pharmacist a little over 50 years and know a bit.

FarmerTan

Don't know where you are getting all your info. Xanax is indicated for anxiety and panic disorders. A few years back the junkies wanted Xanax, soma(carisoprodol), a muscle relaxant, and Vicodin. Feds reclassified the hydrocodone products like Vicodin to schedule II and made soma a schedule IV. That seems to have drastically slowed that avenue of abuse. Xanax is Not used as an opioid. Opioids have analgesic properties, Xanax does not!

Been a pharmacist a little over 50 years and know a bit.
It has slowed, a lot. The fentanyl here is nuts now. Junkies shoot it up in the ER parking lot.

There are no drugs in Eastern Tennessee.
Also have a few acres of prime bottom land off of Potato Creek I can let you have really cheap😉

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I was taking care of a junkie yesterday in the ICU, what a miserable creature! Had to have neurosurgery for an abscess on his cervical spine. Rods and screws in his neck. With his drug habit, what we were giving him for pain was a lot less than what he was used to just to get through daily life!

FarmerTan

I was taking care of a junkie yesterday in the ICU, what a miserable creature! Had to have neurosurgery for an abscess on his cervical spine. Rods and screws in his neck. With his drug habit, what we were giving him for pain was a lot less than what he was used to just to get through daily life!
This is the side that only us in our field see. Had a beautiful young person who nearly lost an arm from shooting up.

This is the side that only us in our field see. Had a beautiful young person who nearly lost an arm from shooting up.

Worked in a hospital for about 40 years, saw them coming into the ER, usually nights or weekends in "pain" most often from out of area, out of town. Now mostly retired and doing a little relief work in retail, it's amazing how many claim to have lost their prescription, or claim to have been shorted, or had prescription stolen. Had an older man waiting for store to open a couple of years ago. The first thing out of his mouth was "someone stole my Soma" I promptly asked if he had filed a police report, and when he said no, I replied that I was not going to help him. He turned and left without saying another word.

FarmerTan

Worked in a hospital for about 40 years, saw them coming into the ER, usually nights or weekends in "pain" most often from out of area, out of town. Now mostly retired and doing a little relief work in retail, it's amazing how many claim to have lost their prescription, or claim to have been shorted, or had prescription stolen. Had an older man waiting for store to open a couple of years ago. The first thing out of his mouth was "someone stole my Soma" I promptly asked if he had filed a police report, and when he said no, I replied that I was not going to help him. He turned and left without saying another word.
Thanks for your service still. I'm trying to figure out what is next for me on a volunteer basis. My ...... love for the game is not what it once was.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I work in Asia a lot. My boss tried Ambien and it seemed like it worked for him to make those 15 hour adjustments. A couple of days after one of our trips he came in looking like he had seen a ghost and said he was never taking that stuff again. Here's his story...

His wife found him in the garage at 3:30am, in only his boxers, with a 32oz Coke from Circle K in one hand and his car keys in the other. Garage door open, car was still warm. She heard noises in the garage and went down to check it out. She saw him standing there looking lost, asked him what he was doing and he 'woke up'.

He said that he did not even know where a Circle K was located. No wallet, no cash. Barefoot and in his boxers in Scottsdale, AZ in July.

Apparently he had sleepwalked (?) out to the garage, gotten into his car and drove around ending up at a Circle K (at least two miles from his home). Walked in wearing only boxers, fixed himself a Coke (never saw him drink anything except fancy water) and walked out without paying (I guess those night clerks really have seen everything). He then was able to make it back home and into the garage but he couldn't figure out how to open the door to the house.

Nobody was hurt but a person was able to function at a pretty high level with absolutely no recollection of the previous 30 mins to one hour.

Yes, there was a Sig in the console of his car.

No drugs for me, I just suffer through the time-zone shifts

Personally, as a pharmacist, and everything I have seen, all of that stuff scares the s@%t out of me. No way I am going to put any into my body! Another thing, about 55-60 years ago when the pheothiazines, thorazine, compazine, mellaril, hit the market and emptied the "insane asylums" the number of people with mental problems and running around on potent mind altering drugs has increased exponentially. I'm probably being politicaly and socially incorrect but think we need some mandatory birth control on those folks,

Top Bottom