What's new

Firearms storage Issues

Recent discussion brought up interesting point; somnambulism...especially cases exacerbated by use of Zolpiedem (aka Ambien) can result is some deeply weird stuff happening. Graphic dreams and/or nightmares also can create some odd behavior issues.
So....question was put forth-
How should these concerns affect the storage of firearms? Most specifically the oft-present "nightstand gun"?
It may be interesting to hear different viewpoints on this topic, especially from a first hand perspective.....

Sounds like a potential solution looking for a problem. Have there been any number of verifiable cases where someone harmed another because they were in a stupor or trance.

If one were in that state, I don’t think their firearm would likely be on their mind. If it were, they might be inclined to act irrationally when conscious as well, I would think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This article sheds something of a light on the issue:

Indeed...Not to sound alarmist but the documented incidents of unusual behavior could concern some people.
Me...nah; FN .40 is always in arms reach.

Well...drug abuse doesn’t work well with anything. They probably shouldn’t be left unattended or having access to vehicles, etc. sounds like they become zombies.

FWIW, a friend took melatonin, and had a weird dream of disarming an explosive. He woke in the living room with the remains of his alarm clock. He had taken it apart.

I had a dream that I was in bed with Dolly Parton and she had a chest cold. I awoke with a jar of Vicks in my hand. :p

tbh I don’t recommend mixing guns drugs or alcohol so irrregaurdless if I was taking sleeping pills I’d train my wife and allow her to place it on her side of the bed where ever she wants with me not knowing because a dream is you mind playing your emotions from the past day more so it your on sleeping pills as you can act it out more so

tbh I don’t recommend mixing guns drugs or alcohol so irrregaurdless if I was taking sleeping pills I’d train my wife and allow her to place it on her side of the bed where ever she wants with me not knowing because a dream is you mind playing your emotions from the past day more so it your on sleeping pills as you can act it out more so

Decades ago, when you could get shotgun shells by the case at local groceries during Dove Season, saw two men come in and buy a case of shells each. Then they came back in and bought a case of beer each. The clerk stocking the shelves and I looked at each other, and we both shook our heads.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I had a dream that I was in bed with Dolly Parton and she had a chest cold. I awoke with a jar of Vicks in my hand. :p
Bogeyman! You might be the only reason that I am still allowed an account on here. Thank you so much!

FarmerTan

Decades ago, when you could get shotgun shells by the case at local groceries during Dove Season, saw two men come in and buy a case of shells each. Then they came back in and bought a case of beer each. The clerk stocking the shelves and I looked at each other, and we both shook our heads.
I miss those days.

We called it "thinning the herd!"

FarmerTan

Does anyone on here remember carrying your shotgun into skool for hunter's safety? Kids think I'm lying when I tell those stories.

In an attempt to get back on track.....
Somnambulism is a medical condition. It is more commonly known as "sleepwalking".
The complications of this malady are well documented. Investigate for details.
Ambien is a prescription drug that is designed to help (among others) insomnia patients try and get a decent night's rest.
Melatonin is a natural, on the shelf, preparation designed to do the same thing basically as Ambien (aka Zolpiedem).
Sleepwalking is its own demon. It is a condition no one wants and can often be controlled with medication.
Ambien and Melatonin are sleep inducing drugs which can have less than great side affects. Conversely...acute insomnia patients who have not slept 8 hours in 5 days may opt to deal with the aforementioned affects.
Point here...this ain't a reference to some yayhoohs showing up at the duck blind with a bottle of Jack and a case of Bud Light.
The initial focus is/was, what (if anything) may be done to allow persons suffering with these maladies to safely keep a firearm nearby with minimal (if any) concern. Now a word from our sponsors. 😉

FarmerTan

In an attempt to get back on track.....
Somnambulism is a medical condition. It is more commonly known as "sleepwalking".
The complications of this malady are well documented. Investigate for details.
Ambien is a prescription drug that is designed to help (among others) insomnia patients try and get a decent night's rest.
Melatonin is a natural, on the shelf, preparation designed to do the same thing basically as Ambien (aka Zolpiedem).
Sleepwalking is its own demon. It is a condition no one wants and can often be controlled with medication.
Ambien and Melatonin are sleep inducing drugs which can have less than great side affects. Conversely...acute insomnia patients who have not slept 8 hours in 5 days may opt to deal with the aforementioned affects.
Point here...this ain't a reference to some yayhoohs showing up at the duck blind with a bottle of Jack and a case of Bud Light.
The initial focus is/was, what (if anything) may be done to allow persons suffering with these maladies to safely keep a firearm nearby with minimal (if any) concern. Now a word from our sponsors. 😉
This is tough. I'm not sure a gun safe would even help in the worst sufferers. I had patients that really got messed up on zolpidem. Had no idea that they had been up roaming the halls the next day.

Never saw that problem with Xanax. But it's in a more controlled substance catigory. At least it was when I was working back in the day on 3rd shift. Ambien is much more hard to get prescribed now.

No good answer. Sleep in a really tightly zippered sleeping bag?

This is tough. I'm not sure a gun safe would even help in the worst sufferers. I had patients that really got messed up on zolpidem. Had no idea that they had been up roaming the halls the next day.

Never saw that problem with Xanax. But it's in a more controlled substance catigory. At least it was when I was working back in the day on 3rd shift. Ambien is much more hard to get prescribed now.

No good answer. Sleep in a really tightly zippered sleeping bag?

The problem with a safe is that you wouldn’t have access to your firearm when you need it, if it were to hard to access until you came to your senses.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hm, potentially serious question if there's a challenged family member ... answer same as always: all firearms must be locked up - except that one in use, which is secured.

Now HOW that one is secured at night leads us right back to the beginning ...

AA

Hm, potentially serious question if there's a challenged family member ... answer same as always: all firearms must be locked up - except that one in use, which is secured.

Now HOW that one is secured at night leads us right back to the beginning ...

AA

Except the one being used throws a monkey wrench in the works, since the somnambulist is the user.

One of the most vitriolic arguments I ever saw at a shooting range was between two acquaintances when one stated that he was on prescription psychotropic meds. Needless to say, the whole room erupted and took sides on this delicate issue with one side saying that under no circumstance should anyone taking psychotropic meds have access to firearms and the other side stating that they should not lose their right to self defense. It was ugly. :oops:

Both sides have their respective points and to be frank IMO it should probably be on a case by case scenario, BUT it begs the question of whether the person taking the meds has the wherewithal to make that decision and if not then who? :whistling:

Top Bottom