What's new

Brush with strong backbone

Hello folks

Long time lurker and first time poster here.

I have picked up DE shaving recently after many years of cartridge shave. I enjoy the wet shave and have tried many different soaps and read the how-to posts.

I think my challenge now lies in the brush. I have tried two so far (badger from art of shaving, and synthetic from Maggard) but I feel they are too flimsy.

Could you kindly suggest a brush that has a substantial backbone please?

Thanks in advance.

Omega Pro 10048, Boar, ~$10-15.

Plenty of backbone, very good brush once defunked and broken in. Large though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If you want to stick with badger then the Simpson Manchurian brushes have great backbone particularly the denser brushes and those with a lower loft to knot ratio. I have a Duke 3 manchurian and it is a fantastic brush but not inexpensive. The 2019 Semogue Foro Afeitado in 2 band finest is still available at Vintage Scent in a numbered run of only 50. I have one and it is excellent, particularly at Euro 90. These are 24/25mm knot size which I think is perfect.

Many thanks for a the prompt replies.

I don't need to stick to badger. In face of the two I have I don't like how the badger sheds hairs. I found my synthetic brush is better in this regards.

Will check out the ones recommended.

Cheers.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
"Zenith" Silvertip Badger brushes have outstanding backbone at moderate price. Made it Italy. I have several and they are great value.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Shavemac D01 versions, especially the two-band, are very dense and have a great backbone.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Many thanks for a the prompt replies.

I don't need to stick to badger. In face of the two I have I don't like how the badger sheds hairs. I found my synthetic brush is better in this regards.

Will check out the ones recommended.

Cheers.
Don't be put off by the shedding as it is not normal for a badger brush, or any brush, to shed unless it is of very poor quality, or has been badly treated, or happens to have been manufactured sub standard but slipped through quality control. Some of my current badger brushes maybe lose a hair very occasionally and some do not shed at all, that is normal in my experience. I have had some that have shed a lot however so in some respects it can be a gamble. A reputable company will offer a warranty on their brushes and offer a replacement if necessary. Good luck.

There are a lot of things that affect backbone in brushes. One is the type of hair used. Boar bristles are thicker that most badger hair, horsehair, and synthetic fibers. Omega boar brushes are especially thick providing great backbone, but once the brush is broken in, the tips can be wonderfully soft.

The shape of the brush affects backbone. Brushes with fan shapes tend to splay more than bulb shaped brushes.

The loft of the knot affects backbone. If a knot is set deeper into the handle (less loft) it will generally have more backbone.

The diameter of the knot affects backbone. A larger diameter knot spreads the pressure across a larger surface area providing more backbone.

Finally, the packing density affects backbone. A low density brush will tend to be floppy whereas a high density brush tends to have more backbone.

I have a 28mm Maggards Super High Density two band badger knot that has a lot of backbone, yet is wonderfully soft on the face.

Thanks folks. This is an awesome group! a wealth of prompt responses. I now have to choose one and go for it.

If you want backbone, then you might like a Yaqi brush with a Tuxedo synthetic knot. In fact, some people complain that it has too much backbone. Anyway...

I reviewed the Red Marble 26mm variant in this thread where I talk about the general characteristics of the knot and how it performs. I like a brush with a lot of backbone, so it's now my everyday brush.

Yaqi Tuxedo definitely has good backbone with soft tips. If you want a bit more scritch, try Craving Shaving Fan Fiction (50/50 badger&synth) or Supervisor knot.

I second the recommendation of Simpsons Manchurian. Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger and Finest are superb with lots of backbone.

No one has yet mentioned Pure badger brushes. They're easy to lather and much less expensive than their Best, Slivertip and other badger cousins. I have a Plisson Pur Blaireau and a small Shavemac pure badger knot on a Rudy Vey handle. Both are excellent performers. At first, they were kind of scratchy, but they've mellowed. Now they have just a nice little tickle to let me know they're there. Moisture and heat retention are excellent, and the don't hog lather. The Shavemac/Vey is softer than the Plisson and is really special by any standard.

If you are looking at the most back bone I would recommend getting an Omega S-Brush or and Omega Boar. They are both very stiff, the Boar will break in and get softer as will the S-Brush. The S-took about one month for me to break in to a point that I like, and the boar is still breaking in for me. I am about 9 shaves in with that one. Plus is you can have both for under $10 each so they are worth just trying.

Are you at a point that laying out $150 for a tiny shavemac DO1 2-band or $300 for the most (cough, cough) affordable Simpson Manchurian is cool? Oh, plus shipping, from Europe.

How important is soft face feel to you or do you like a bit of scrubby or a wee bit bit of prickle would be ok?

I don't think I want to pay that much for a brush, at least for now until I get better with the wet shaving. I have not yet tried a scrubby brush, but I know for sure that I don't like the two that I got because I feel they collapse too easily (if this is a correct description).

Top Bottom