What's new

hot water

I prefer hot water. I shave first then shower. I cold splash my face after I shower and then apply my post shave products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also prefer hot water. I shower with hot water before I shave. I like to shave immediately after my shower.

I consistently get the best results from hot water. My best shaves happen when I go for what I call the "shower-shave sandwich": start with a good blast of hot water in the shower, kill the water and shave whilst still in the cubicle, then finish with another brief hot shower; splash face with cold water after.

There are plenty of people who find cold water shaving to give superior results, but so far I haven't been able to make it work for me.

does water temperature matter when shaving during or after a shower? hot shower vs cold shower? rsvp.
For me, I prefer "very warm" but not too hot. There have been several discussions about a cold water shave and I've tried it. It's definitely personal preference. The best cold shave I've every seen was GeoFatBoy's video about shaving in a snow storm!!

Hot water will soften the beard better than cold water, but hot water opens the pores of the skin, possible increasing the irritation. Thus, some folks with sensitive skin prefer shaving with cold water. Although I have sensitive skin, I also have a tough beard and need to use hot water to soften it. I then try to use excellent soaps to protect my face from irritation. You have to find what works best for you.

Very warm towel to the face 3x, shave with razor heated with very warm water, very warm water wipe in between passes, rinse off with cool-ish water.

I have tried cool and cold water..it cheapens the entire experience for me, no longer feel like its special and spa-like....its not for me.

I always use hot water. I really soak the beard before the shave with it.
My guess is that it softens the whiskers better.

Cold water vs. hot water shaving is controversial, to say the least. Everyone should do their own experimentations and make their own conclusions. YMMV. Fair warning.

Interesting thread!

I shower using hot water, then I shave using hot water followed by a cold water rinse. AS comes last.

I get less irritation and cuts by avoiding hot water. I don't insist on using cold water for the entire shave, however.

There is no particular reason one must shave with hot water, though, and alot of good reasons to at least use warm water. Hot water, water hotter than human skin temperature, does not generally benefit the skin in any way, nor do I think it really results in a closer shave.

I would focus on whatever is comfortable.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I shave in hot tap water, then I cold water rinse also using an alum block. I then shower and then apply balms, lotions etc. This gives me the best shaves. I have always shaved before I showered. This is my routine. Cold water shaving, I think would be great in a very hot climate or if you are getting lots of irritation. All that you can do it try it and see what you think. I tried it but it is not for me.

I shave in hot tap water, then I cold water rinse also using an alum block. I then shower and then apply balms, lotions etc. This gives me the best shaves. I have always shaved before I showered. This is my routine. Cold water shaving, I think would be great in a very hot climate or if you are getting lots of irritation. All that you can do it try it and see what you think. I tried it but it is not for me.

Pretty much the same here, but I cold water splash after the shower. The warm shower will just reverse the cold water splash affects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom