What's new

How many different blades did you try or even re-ry before you settled on your rotation or even 1 or

.....2 that you settled on.

I am on now blade number 32 - I have 4 more to go to try all 36 I wanted to when I started 5 months ago. I ask because I was wondering if people just tried . a few and settled on one and never gave some brands a chance - based on "what they hear" . My experience is some blades that get rave reviews I didn't like at all (Persona Reds and blues both, Bic SS, etc.) and some that people didn't like or just didn't get much attention at all I liked a lot (Treet Platinum, Croma Diamont, Bolzano, Parker, and Ladas).

What are your numbers and do you go back a year later and try the ones you didn't like?

So far i’ve been through around 30 after a year and a half and i’ve decided i’m going to go through every blade available on tryablade before i bulk buy. That’s not to say i haven’t found a few blades i could happily shave the rest of my life with, but i realized i truly enjoy trying out different blades. I give each blade a “fair shot” by using each one 4 times and trying two of each, so it’s taken me awhile to get through the ones i ordered. Honestly though i’m not holding out hope i’ll find anything better when i order another sampler. And i would never go back and try the ones i didn’t like or just found mediocre. My plan is to have a “top ten” after i run through all the blades on tryablade and then reorder and use those top ten to figure out which ones i’ll buy in bulk.

While I won’t be able to try every blade made, I certainly enjoy all the reviews from @Macduff

From the blades I have tried, I do really enjoy in no specific order:

Nacets

Lab Blues

Astra SP’s

Peronna Reds

GSB’s

I have a few more that I have tried but those 3 (as of writing this) are the blades that get along with my face this most.

I find a get a good, if not great,shave from any blade loaded in to my 39c. Yet when I use my Wunderbar, Razorine, Wolfman OC or Ming Shi “Futur” clone... each blade can be hit or miss and can sometimes provide unwanted irritation on or around my neck.

I have more blades en route so we’ll see what happens next.

Brad.

Merkur
Astra SP
Feather
Wilkinsons Sword
Seagull
GSB's

The GSB's (for me) where the perfect combination of smooth and sharp so that is what I use.

Interesting thread. I’m guessing more than a few of us didn’t explore too extensively when we started. Worse still, it’s amazing what a couple years experience will do to your preferences even if you did do some exploring.

All I know is I didn’t explore as thoroughly as I should have back in the day, and am re-testing using my Karve. I bought a pack of every blade Maggard’s sold, and have begun my testing. It’ll take a while. I’m doing two shaves per blade. Once I’m done the two shaves with them all, i’ll test my favorites for longevity. But yeah, if the first two shaves are bland or harsh, why see where it goes 7 shaves in?

I think i’m like 12 or so in, and as much as I’ve started to form some pretty strong opinions, i’ll say that most blades are ok at worst. It’s a fun experiment. More importantly, when all is said and done, i’ll stockpile a couple different brands that’ll give slightly different shaves as my mood sees fit.

Probably 10-15....buddy sent me a bunch, people here sent me some, some I got in packages buying other things.

Really liked the German Wilkinson Swords when I first started, Derby Extras were smooth and comfortable which led me to the Premiums, tried out a few of the Gillette O’Clocks and liked Black, Yellow and Green, tried Nacets and wasn’t a fan.

Settled on Super Max Blue Diamonds, perfect combo of smooth and sharp while lasting around 6-8 shaves for me.

Probably 10-15....buddy sent me a bunch, people here sent me some, some I got in packages buying other things.

Really liked the German Wilkinson Swords when I first started, Derby Extras were smooth and comfortable which led me to the Premiums, tried out a few of the Gillette O’Clocks and liked Black, Yellow and Green, tried Nacets and wasn’t a fan.

Settled on Super Max Blue Diamonds, perfect combo of smooth and sharp while lasting around 6-8 shaves for me.
Super Max Blue Diamonds are very good blades!

Super Max Blue Diamonds are very good blades!

Anyone remember the yellow and green wrapped Super Max blades? I still have nightmares about them. Worst blade I had ever used in my humble opinion. Jagged and rough. I had one tuck and some of the blades had little nicks missing from the edge. QC issues I’m certain.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Maybe eight or ten, going back a few years. Once I found Astra greens for the R41, I pretty much stopped any formal sampling.

Primarily use Derby Premiums in the Oristo (a super mild razor--the total antithesis of the R41--which makes every blade feel smooooth).

Recently became fond of Nacets for both razors. Gotta get me a couple of hundred of those.

Maybe eight or ten, going back a few years. Once I found Astra greens for the R41, I pretty much stopped any formal sampling.

Primarily use Derby Premiums in the Oristo (a super mild razor--the total antithesis of the R41--which makes every blade feel smooooth).

Recently became fond of Nacets for both razors. Gotta get me a couple of hundred of those.

Best price I’ve seen online for Nacets is actually at Italian Barber. (I’m not affiliated with them) but $11 US for 100 is awesome.

I came up with about 96 I've tried.

I'm currently using:
PPI Gillette Platinum
PPI Gillette Platinum Blue Box
PPI Sputnik
PPI Minora
PPI 7 O'Clock Yellow

That's about it.

I came up with about 96 I've tried.

I'm currently using:
PPI Gillette Platinum
PPI Gillette Platinum Blue Box
PPI Sputnik
PPI Minora
PPI 7 O'Clock Yellow

That's about it.
Tell me about Minora . never heard of it . how does it feel on you?

I'm not big on experimenting with blades, so I haven't tried that many:
  • Merkur (never again)
  • Various Personna store-branded blades (OK in a pinch, but I wouldn't seek them out)
  • Shark (functional but I didn't like the feel)
  • Astra SP (could shave with them without complaint if that's what was available)
  • Wilkinson Sword black and white pack (mild and comfortable, I like them)
  • Feather (great for two shaves and then they tank, lately they've been feeling really harsh)
  • Gillette Silver Blue (oh my, yes; what a blade; loaded into my Tech, they give me a shave like nothing else I've tried in the last ten years of wetshaving)
I plan on settling on the GSBs for a while.

Tell me about Minora . never heard of it . how does it feel on you?

It’s a platinum ppi Gillette. Recently discontinued. Now, they are extremely expensive. Kind of just feels like a Russian Gillette platinum. Not special enough to spend 5 times more than a platinum.

I have tried 28 different blades, but there may be more I would like to try some day. There are a few that i have tried that are not sharp enough for my beard: Derby Extra, VDH, Merkur, Shark Chrome, so they are no longer in my den. However, these blades may work well for those with lighter beards. Although I can use Astra SP, I find them to be marginal in sharpness for me: functional but not enjoyable.

As for the remainder of the blades I have tried, I like them all as long as I install them in a suitable razor. Extremely sharp blades are too harsh in aggressive razors but work very well in mild-moderate aggressive razors.

Blades like the 7 O'Clock Yellow are not sharp enough when used in a mild-moderate razor; it takes to many passes to get a great shave. However, Yellows are wonderful in an in a Muhle R41 as their smoothness prevents the blade from feeling harsh on the face.

Thus, the key is finding the right blade(s) to pair with each of your razors.

At the rate I'm going, I'll get back to you in a decade or so when I've been through all of the brands I have. Takes a while when you only use four or five blades a year.....

Top Bottom