What's new

Anyone use Talc?

Here is the US Talc has some controversy with the hiostory of containing asbestos. Anyone have any intel on this? How do you know when the ingredient list says "talc" that is contains no asbestos?

THanks

Once upon time, the barbers in my home town applied talc after shaving my neck. However, that is the only time that I used talc.

Once upon time, the barbers in my home town applied talc after shaving my neck. However, that is the only time that I used talc.
This is what I remember to growing up, but I was unclear exactly why they used it. Was it for the smell or to help get the hair brushed off l I have no idea?

This is what I remember to growing up, but I was unclear exactly why they used it. Was it for the smell or to help get the hair brushed off l I have no idea?

I think it was to cut down on irritation from hairs that might have fallen down the neck of your shirt.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I don’t think they would be allowed to sell any products that contained Asbestos anymore. I know here in Australia they cannot. I don’t use talc for any shaving related activities but I do occasionally use talc as a foot powder in the Summer months.

I don’t think they would be allowed to sell any products that contained Asbestos anymore. I know here in Australia they cannot. I don’t use talc for any shaving related activities but I do occasionally use talc as a foot powder in the Summer months.
I guess I didn't realize talc was asbestos related. That's no good.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Maybe years ago but I doubt it now. You only have to read what is the packaging. Hey, we use baby powder (talcum powder) on babies every day in this day and age. If it was harmful it wouldn’t be sold.

If I recall correctly the association between talc and asbestos was from a specific mine that had high levels of naturally occurring asbestos. This mine was a significant source, and that caused the scare and resulting association and controversy. Because of this, talc in general got a bad name, and went out of style for no particular reason than it was associated with a bad event.

I don’t remember where I read this, but I do have a vague recollection/ impression that I was inclined to lend a certain credibility to the source at the time - take that for what you will, it’s worth every cent it cost ya!

Did some digging and the short answer is yes, all talc has the potential to contain asbestos. It has to do with where the talc is mined because many talc mines are contaminated with naturally occurring asbestos. No talc can be 100% guaranteed to not contain asbestos. The contamination ranges from 0-20%.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Target's store brand is a dead ringer for Gold Bond and is made from corn starch.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I remember there was a lawsuit involving Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder but I don't know the details. Products like talcum powder are supposed to be free of asbestos. Heck, you have to have guys in hazmat suits remove asbestos insulation in older houses if it is found during renovation here in the US.

Let me just clarify about the asbestos/talc story that some of you seem to be vaguely aware of, but not super familiar with.
Johnson & Johnson found in the early 70s that their baby powder sometimes contained asbestos, and had internally found over several tests dating back into the 70s that yes, their baby powder did contain asbestos occasionally. However, they hid this information from the public, and did not change their source until 2003, meaning that every baby powder jug they sold until 2003 was potentially contaminated with asbestos. This was only uncovered last year.
Here's the original investigative report on the subject. J&J knew for decades that asbestos lurked in its Baby Powder

If I recall correctly the association between talc and asbestos was from a specific mine that had high levels of naturally occurring asbestos. This mine was a significant source, and that caused the scare and resulting association and controversy. Because of this, talc in general got a bad name, and went out of style for no particular reason than it was associated with a bad event.

I don’t remember where I read this, but I do have a vague recollection/ impression that I was inclined to lend a certain credibility to the source at the time - take that for what you will, it’s worth every cent it cost ya!

True, it was the Libby mine in Montana. The deposits has asbestos bearing rock in them as well.
Big scare for talc and vermiculite.

Talc works much better than "best cornstarch" used by Pinaud these days.

Unfortunate that the blanket scare limits the sale of talc.

Here is the US Talc has some controversy with the hiostory of containing asbestos. Anyone have any intel on this? How do you know when the ingredient list says "talc" that is contains no asbestos?

THanks
Use it e everyday in some form. My barber uses it in his neck duster

Top Bottom